Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good article by Richard Ackland on the man appointed to head the Royal Commission into people the Mad Misogynist Monk doesn't like:

The last 2 paragraphs:

"Mason accused the high court [Under Haydon's Leadership] of being “haughty”, adopting “blinkered methods”, asserting a “monopoly in the essential development of aspects of the common law”, shutting off “the oxygen of fresh ideas” and making unattractive personal swipes at other judges on intermediate appellate courts.

We could go on and on. But that’s enough background to understand why the man Dyson Heydon could be seen to be out of step with community values and expectations – and why he’s in political strife right now"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/14/the-sometimes-enjoyable-mind-of-dyson-heydon

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:59 pm

swoop42 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
I thought watt price tully wrote:
I was starting to feel depressed after the cricket & footy but The Mad Misogynist Miners Monk drunk with power before his last election ...

I saw what you did there Wink

Mark Dreyfus puts it succinctly:

"....Dreyfus described the proposed attendance at a Liberal party fundraiser as an “extraordinary error of judgment” that would call into question any findings that would ultimately be made by the royal commission.

“He should resign because by his own actions he has created the appearance of bias, and discredited and compromised every single further action by this royal commission, and if he does not resign he should be sacked by this government,” Dreyfus said."

From the Guardian online.

I prefer Richard Dreyfuss.

Looks like the Libs are gonna need a new boat.

Wonnerful work Swoop.

IMO, one of the best films Richard Dreyfus ever acted in was "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" 1974.

I prefer Alfred Dreyfus to both.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:29 pm

David wrote:
That is some inspired MS Paintbrush-ing. Laughing

If only I had photo shop skills.

I'd be off my tits 24/7. Laughing

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

This was going to be the winner for the LNP but now with multiple questions of bias about Dyson Heydon is certainly damaging whatever credibility the Commission did have. The findings of this Commission will be deemed bias and attacked by everyone on the other side. This is called shooting oneself in the foot.
Dyson Heydon will be removed but not before the damage is done like Bronwyn Bishop's demise as the LNP are just totally arrogant.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Culprit wrote:
This was going to be the winner for the LNP but now with multiple questions of bias about Dyson Heydon is certainly damaging whatever credibility the Commission did have. The findings of this Commission will be deemed bias and attacked by everyone on the other side. This is called shooting oneself in the foot.
Dyson Heydon will be removed but not before the damage is done like Bronwyn Bishop's demise as the LNP are just totally arrogant.

Dyson Heydon was on panel that awarded Tony Abbott his prized Rhodes Scholarship

In his book Battlelines, Mr Abbott wrote: "As much, I'm sure, through my role in student politics as through academic or sporting prowess, I was chosen as a NSW Rhodes Scholar at the end of 1980."

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/dyson-heydon-was-on-panel-that-awarded-tony-abbott-his-prized-rhodes-scholarship-20150817-gj0o8o.html

Now far be it from me to suggest there's a direct causal link here of corruption and/or bias etc but it's the perceived bias that is the issue. Dyson Heppell needs to stand down now.

Dyson is now saying that he overlooked the specifics of the invitation. He's now inviting comment on his competence.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Dyson Heydon was on panel that awarded Tony Abbott his prized Rhodes Scholarship

In his book Battlelines, Mr Abbott wrote: "As much, I'm sure, through my role in student politics as through academic or sporting prowess, I was chosen as a NSW Rhodes Scholar at the end of 1980."

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/dyson-heydon-was-on-panel-that-awarded-tony-abbott-his-prized-rhodes-scholarship-20150817-gj0o8o.html

Now far be it from me to suggest there's a direct causal link here of corruption and/or bias etc but it's the perceived bias that is the issue. Dyson Heppell needs to stand down now.

Dyson is now saying that he overlooked the specifics of the invitation. He's now inviting comment on his competence.
I don't think Dyson Heppell needs to stand down. The Perception is what cost Bronny and it keeps costing the LNP. Laughing Laughing Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Culprit wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I don't think Dyson Heppell needs to stand down. The Perception is what cost Bronny and it keeps costing the LNP. Laughing Laughing Laughing

To quote the tinhead:

I was waiting for you (& others) Wink

So listening to the radio the legal term is "apprehended" bias.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Royal commissioner Dyson Heydon claims he 'overlooked' connection to Liberal Party with respect to the invitation. (from The Age online)

Can all of the so called witnesses / defendants etc now claim the same as the good judge? Sorry RC I overlooked it. What's good for the RC surely must be good for others.

By god he's a goner if not he has tainted the RC and himself. Combine this with his own stand about perceived bias then surely he has no choice.

Now he's asking for submissions by COB on Thursday (re his perceived / apprehended bias) & then review this overnight & give his announcement on Friday.

How can Dyson be the judge of his own perceived / apprehended bias??

Oh I love it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 pm

You can't make this kind this stuff up WPT. It's gold and as soon as Abbott and Co get any kind of traction they get bogged down over and over again.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Culprit wrote:
You can't make this kind this stuff up WPT. It's gold and as soon as Abbott and Co get any kind of traction they get bogged down over and over again.

Ain't it Sweet. I must thank CP for the thread Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:37 pm

So if the dude in charge stands down, does that mean they have to start again?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Royal commissioner Dyson Heydon claims he 'overlooked' connection to Liberal Party with respect to the invitation. (from The Age online)

Can all of the so called witnesses / defendants etc now claim the same as the good judge? Sorry RC I overlooked it. What's good for the RC surely must be good for others.

By god he's a goner if not he has tainted the RC and himself. Combine this with his own stand about perceived bias then surely he has no choice.

Now he's asking for submissions by COB on Thursday (re his perceived / apprehended bias) & then review this overnight & give his announcement on Friday.

How can Dyson be the judge of his own perceived / apprehended bias??

Oh I love it.

Hilariously, that's how such matters are always dealt with in the first instance - the fun part will be (assuming he doesn't stand down) the possible judicial review application to the Federal Court (I suppose it could be made to the High Court in its original jurisdiction, assuming that he is relevantly an "officer of the Commonwealth" for this purpose, but the High Court would almost certainly remit it back to the Fed) likely seeking, amongst other, things, declarative relief (concerning apprehended bias) and injunctive relief (preventing him from sitting further or reporting). That should be reasonably entertaining.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
So if the dude in charge stands down, does that mean they have to start again?

I hear they're not going to stuff it up a second time, they will aim to be as neutral as possible. Lady Bronwyn Bishop is being mooted for the job Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:04 pm

^

Cool. Do it enough times they might get it right. Razz

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Laughing at WPT. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15   

Jump to: