Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott's Cringeworthy ABC Outburst

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Bahhh.

1: News is the one and only topic under discussion here. Even Abbott and his IPA stooges don't care whether the rest of the programming is Silent Witness or CSI.

2: News is by far the greatest part of ABC programming, and news broadcasts are heavily concentrated in prime time, so that numerical preponderance is even greater than it seems on first sight. 774 Melbourne, for example, has a five-minute news bulletin every hour, plus half-hourly updates in the key morning timeslots, plus two and a half hours of extended news with AM, PM, and The World Today, plus two 15-minute full-length news broadcasts - all of that adds up to five hours per day - i.e., two and a half times as much as even your (woefully ignorant) high estimate. And that very heavy news component in the content goes way, way up the moment that there is a major news event of national significance. Plus there is a a heavy emphasis on news-related content in much of the other normal programming - it's pretty much straight news and current affairs between 8:30 and 10AM, for example, with just the odd bit of other stuff, plus an only slightly lower news and current affairs emphasis between about 4 and 6 PM. So we are actually talking around 8 hours a day total (33% of the 24-hour broadcast time) and an effective number closer to 80% once we allow for the fact that the news-heavy peak listening times have a vastly bigger audience than the lightweight mid-afternoon time slot, let alone the everyone-is-in-bed 4AM session.

And I haven't even mentioned Radio National (vast amounts of very high quality news and documentary programming), the Australia-wide regional network which has an extra hour of news and current affairs every day at lunchtime, or News24 which has (surprise surprise!) 24-hour a day non-stop news programing. Nor have we touched the substantial TV news services and the comprehesnsive access-from-anywhere Internet service.

We need someone better at getting facts right than you seem to be today. Come back Jack Spain, Nick's misses you!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

I agree that the ABC is the best pure news outlet, but in a market based model they're a niche. Those who want serious and reliable news coverage on a daily basis would be a distinct minority. Their left of center editorial views become most noticeable in their panel and opinion shows such as the Drum, but luckily for Abbott and crew, nobody really watches.

The crazy thing about this is Abbott has given the ABC and the cultural left a huge free kick. General apathy of the electorate to the ABC's opinions or cultural leaning will become a groundswell of love and protection of "our" ABC. Howard probably hated the ABC too, but he was a much more savvy operator than Tony.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:21 pm

Wokko wrote:
Their left of center editorial views become most noticeable in their panel and opinion shows such as the Drum

Seriously, you are off the effing planet! You practically never see that sort of show go to air without either far-right IPA representatives or else extremist right-wing Murdoch stooges like Piers Ackerman dominating proceedings, and most of the time there is no-one whatsoever representing the left-wing view. Only the centre, the right, and the extreme right ever get a hearing.

And why are you surprised? After John Howard's relentless stacking of the ABC Board and senior management with one hard-line rightist after another, what else did you expect? Howard got what he wanted, and the ABC and all of Australia is the poorer for it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't know what I am surprised.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Wokko wrote:
The crazy thing about this is Abbott has given the ABC and the cultural left a huge free kick. General apathy of the electorate to the ABC's opinions or cultural leaning will become a groundswell of love and protection of "our" ABC. Howard probably hated the ABC too, but he was a much more savvy operator than Tony.

I agree. Abbott is hopelessly out of his depth as PM, and goes lurching from one disaster to another. Howard, as I just mentioned, was vastly smarter: he took the long view that the best way to wreck the ABC was to put his hard-right cronies in charge of it and let them gradually take away its balance and integrity. Abbott's idiotic front-on charge at something 70% of Australians trust and support will only hasten his political demise.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:
And whoever it was questioned the ABC being a niche market provider, just look at the ratings for their various services. There are certain age and political groups who love the ABC, but the vast majority don't give a shit about it.

^ This is just plain wrong.

Time and time again, consistently through the decades from well before you were born and continuing right up to the present day, it has been conclusively demonstrated that the ABC is THE most-trusted news and information source by Australians across the board. Most watch, read, or listen to commercial infotainment most of the time - Channel 9 news, for example, or A Current Affair, or the Herald-Sun - but whenever the chips are down and the news really matters, whenever there is a fire, a war, a flood, a cyclone, a massive political shock, or an earthquake, Australians from all walks of life turn to the ABC because it is far and away the most-trusted source of news and information in this country

"when it comes to public trust, the national broadcaster leaves all other media outfits - print, electronic and online - well and truly in the dust"

Whenever accurate, up-to-date information is vital, Australians turn to the ABC because it's th best. Australians do this regardless of their political stance - Liberal, Labor and Green votors all trust the ABC more than they trust any other media outlet, and by a massive margin.

(Source: Essential Media's twice-a-year survey on media trust, via Crikey. Similar results are reported by other polling organisations, including even the Murdoch Empire's own Newspoll!)

Researcher Rodney Tiffen's remarks are to the point:
Quote:

A consistent indeed a stark picture emerges from this polling data, but it is not one you are likely to see highlighted in the Australian. The public has little confidence in the news media as a whole, and the ABC is, overwhelmingly, the most trusted and respected media institution in the country

You refer to the News which makes up what percentage of their broadcasting? 5%? 2 hours per day would make 8%.

I'd say that apart from the News portion you've covered there, Wokka is totally correct to say the ABC services a niche market.

Stui, look beyond Melbourne & what the ABC does. The best time I reckon when the radio is on & you've got coverage right around Australia.

Rolling Eyes

I'm quite surprised you'd say that.

These days even more diverse than it used to be:

Apart from local am services there's a whole host of services covering our Continent.

AM Radio local, Radio national , ABC FM, ABC kids, 3 JJJ, ABC1, ABC24 hour News, ABC 2, Radio Australia, Rural radio, They are simply more than the parts.

Also look at its policies & development of drama, comedy, journalism etc,

Some programmes might be niche such as counter point hosted by the Goebbels bed time reading of former Senator Amanda Vanstone on Radio national.

Niche is "The Footy Show" - a bogan niche if you will Wink Razz

Now I'm getting back to my & Jack Spain's favourite, QI.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 pm

[quote="Wokko"]
Lazza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
CP wrote:
Now if you want a merely compliant media that should abstain from a critique of any Australian Government action, proposal or policy etc then you'd do well in North Korea, Cuba or Russia.

It seems extreme right wing views come awfully close to the so called left of the so called communist states like North Korea & Cuba. The political spectrum may well be a circle.

Such a thought provoking comment. Brilliant.

I honestly can't fathom what the right wingers want from the ABC. Do they want "all hail mighty Abbott" type of news? Barrack hard for the Aussie cricket team and sledge the opposition? Maybe barrack hard for the Coalition government and sledge the opposition? If an Aussie (anyone from Schapelle to Barlow and Chambers to the Bali 9 or the Aussie Army/Navy/Air force) does the wrong thing overseas, are we to blatantly ignore this and blindly barrack for the home team? Minimise their acts? Maybe accuse the overseas countries of bullshitting so that the ABC is seen as being parochially Aussie in every way? Is this REALLY what Abbott wants to do with the ABC??..... Rolling Eyes

I thought the ABC had it just about right when they had Andrew Bolt as a panelist on the Insiders with 2 lefties. You don't need 'equality' but an echo chamber like the ABC doesn't help anyone, there needs to be some balance. A lot of Australians are Nationalists and the ABC is still culturally cringing as they sip their chardonnay mocha soy lattes. There's a reason that it's the least watched station (SBS aside because that's still seen as tits and 'ethnics'). Also it seems that the Liberals are largely pushing an objectivist, Randian agenda and state owned media is something that ultra free marketers think is a terrible thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is all a prelude to breaking up and privatising the ABC. The fact we've heard about it as an 'uncompetitive monopoly' is a huge flag towards that.

And whoever it was questioned the ABC being a niche market provider, just look at the ratings for their various services. There are certain age and political groups who love the ABC, but the vast majority don't give a shit about it.

I don't know who you were quoting Wink

Insiders has the sleazy bastard Mr Tabloid Piers Ackerman, Gerard Henderson, Pemberthy, Nikki Savva & many other extreme right wingers.

Bolt action left when Gina made a spot for him to represent her interests & do her bidding on channel 10.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Yet far more people watch 7 and 9 news than the ABC.

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/blogs/the-tribal-mind/the-ratings-race-and-that-was-the-summer-silly-season-20131231-304ed.html?skin=iphone

Combined, nearly 3 times as many people.

Shit, more people watch ACA and TT than the ABC news.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/blogs/the-tribal-mind/the-ratings-race-and-that-was-the-summer-silly-season-20131231-304ed.html?skin=iphone

Yes and a majority would watch public torture & hanging. A majority would watch Jerry Springer, indeed the Jerry Springer folk would watch Jerry Springer.

That however, does not make it "niche"

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yes and a majority would watch public torture & hanging. A majority would watch Jerry Springer, indeed the Jerry Springer folk would watch Jerry Springer.

That however, does not make it "niche"

Well, if it caters to a minority audience, what is it except "niche"?

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 pm

That is "" I think make it niche[quote] Well if it caters to a minority audience what is it except niche does make it niche[quote] Well if it caters to a minority audience what is it except niche.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

One thing the ABC has that many of the other broadcasters and print media don't is editorial independence. It's ironic that a government broadcaster should be one of the only outlets interested in performing that 'Fourth Estate' role of keeping government accountable. Most of the others are way too easily dictated to by their commercial interests or owners' whims.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 pm

The far right is by now so used to bum-slapping extremism sating its prejudices and impulses, it even thinks the ABC is "leftist"!

This is of course just more of the same failed Fox News Americana that backward Australians get sucked into buying time and again. And as we know from that crumbling disgrace of a society, eliminating quality government information services from a marketplace does not improve a country one iota. Indeed, by now it's one of the sure signs of a failing democracy.

The ABC is not popular because its mandate is more sober-minded. Much like a healthy diet, it is less appealing even though everyone knows it is a vastly more reliable and extensive news source, hence the data Tannin has quoted showing the trust differential between its higher quality diet and the McDonald's of the TV world.

This is just another typically blinkered flashpoint that excites the authoritarian mind as it seethes and writhes over others benefiting from something it is not interested in. Meanwhile, the same fevered minds are getting raped and pillaged by corporations and the government they elected.

It's a pitiful, trivial work such people engage inmuch like the policy work of Abbott and that vastly higher class misery before him, Howard.

Keating hated Howard because Keating thought leadership was about "drawing out the golden threads of society". This meant eschewing the misery and hate vote at all costs, and winning on the back of nation building. Abbott must be making him want to puke, though he's dead right that it was Howard who made the massively unethical miscalculation of unleashing such failed Americana on the nation.

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:36 pm

What makes it right?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm

HAL wrote:
What makes it right?

Ptiddy said so.

Left and right is perspective based. The ABC, despite being staffed by mainly lefties, is pretty centre with a mild left wing bias. So lefties consider it to be centre right but balanced, righties consider it left.

Perspective all depends on the view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: