Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott's Cringeworthy ABC Outburst

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

I assume the roll eyes is because that story has received almost zero attention from the left?

It's perfect pro Liberal issue and it was reported by the ABC and Fairfax.

It barely gets a mention elsewhere because it is at best an 'allegation" or set of allegations. ie unproven. hearsay etc but it does involve bikies.

Royal Commissions should only be held when there is clear evidence of criminal behaviour and for that to happen it has to be investigated by the police.

This Government is on a holy crusade.
Election promises, proper procedure, logic, facts and tolerance aren't relevant to anything it does.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm not sure about 'the left', but the big mainstream outlets that often get called left-wing by right-wing people (ABC, Fairfax, The Guardian) all gave considerable attention to the union scandal. Other than that, I guess people like to talk about the things that grind their gears.
CP 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 pm

Yet nobody thought to be quite so outraged when Gillard was pushing for laws to stifle freedom of speech directly fairly and squarely at News Ltd...sorry...the 'Hate Media'.

Many of you are complete hypocrites.

All Abbott (correctly) said in relation to the ABC is that they unilaterally take the anti-Australia angle on every story that beckons a national side to be taken. He said he wants them to call issues straight and stop seeing everything through an anti-gov't, anti-Australia lenses and stop putting a political spin on everything.

And before anyone comments on the Gillard gov't attack on free speech compared to Abbott's discussion with regards the ABC, remember one thing: News Ltd are a company that will live and die on whether people buy their product, while the ABC are funded by taxpayers.

I find it remarkable that anyone could have a problem with what Abbott said regardless of what political persuasion you are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 am

CP wrote:
I find it remarkable that anyone could have a problem with what Abbott said regardless of what political persuasion you are.

I have a problem with it so by your own reckoning I am a hypocrite.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:28 am

The LNP have announced an enquiry to examine the waste and efficiency of the ABC. In other words a committee to cut funds to the ABC in order to make them more subservient to the Prime Minister.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 am

[quote="CP"]Yet nobody thought to be quite so outraged when Gillard was pushing for laws to stifle freedom of speech directly fairly and squarely at News Ltd...sorry...the 'Hate Media'.

Many of you are complete hypocrites.quote]Don't forget at the same time Rhinehart spent millions on supression orders to have her families infighting from hitting the press.

Murdoch sells Views, ABC produces News. Apples to Oranges.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 am

CP wrote:
Yet nobody thought to be quite so outraged when Gillard was pushing for laws to stifle freedom of speech directly fairly and squarely at News Ltd...sorry...the 'Hate Media'.

Many of you are complete hypocrites.

All Abbott (correctly) said in relation to the ABC is that they unilaterally take the anti-Australia angle on every story that beckons a national side to be taken. He said he wants them to call issues straight and stop seeing everything through an anti-gov't, anti-Australia lenses and stop putting a political spin on everything.

And before anyone comments on the Gillard gov't attack on free speech compared to Abbott's discussion with regards the ABC, remember one thing: News Ltd are a company that will live and die on whether people buy their product, while the ABC are funded by taxpayers.

That ALP review which caused so much hysteria was mostly about media outlets abiding by their own self-regulation processes—i.e. a better form of accountability in cases where they decided to mislead their readers or listeners. The ABC were part of that, but they had little to complain about because they're generally pretty well self-regulated. It was the shock jocks and tabloids who felt most under threat because sensationalism and twisting facts comprise their basic raisons d'être. Despite all the whinging and Stalin pictures, the review was about better accountability, not news agenda. And let's not forget the real reason the Murdoch tabloids threw a fit: Conroy's attempt to limit their boss's ability to form monopolies. The result of it all was that big business scored a resounding victory and the main offenders continue to be able to print blatant lies without even being forced to apologise if they get caught out. A real victory for free speech, that.

Now, compare that to Abbott's claim: that the ABC should "show more affection to the home team" in their reporting and "give the hard-working navy the benefit of the doubt". The review above was about truth and accountability; the suggestions here are about insufficient patriotism. I see no inconsistency or hypocrisy in backing the first but being appalled by the second.

CP 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 am

You're dreaming David.

The only threat that the 'shock jocks and 'hate media' posed was that they weren't providing the free kick in front of goals that the gov't's PR agency (their ABC) was providing.

Don't forget that News Ltd was welcoming and supportive of Kevin Rudd. They were welcoming and supportive of Julia Gillard.

Then between them both they ran the country into oblivion in terms of the budget, honesty, idealistic policy (carbon tax, MRRT, deal plants, etc, etc) and creating a union-controlled state of massive cost pressures on business as well as a welfare state at the same time. Essentially, they fringed the joint right up.

Then News Ltd didn't give them the armchair ride they originally had.

Ask yourself, given the last election result, who was closer to the sentiment of Australians; the 'hate media' and 'shock jocks' or their ABC?

Given your purported love of complete liberty, to think that a media enquiry run by hard-line leftists only into privately-owned media outlets in order to stifle opinion and comment, was a good thing in your opinion, probably proves that you're a 'typical' lefty - ie, if you don't like it, it's wrong, but pretend there's an altruistic, moral reason for it to be wrong and not just because you don't like it.

Also, the ALP/Greens essentially tried to create their own media monopoly with the ABC so don't try that angle the other way. It's ignorant and amateurish.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

CP wrote:
Ask yourself, given the last election result, who was closer to the sentiment of Australians; the 'hate media' and 'shock jocks' or their ABC?

I'm certain that the the 'hate media' and 'shock jocks' were actually far more effective than their ABC in influencing voters at the last election. They did a mighty fine job for the Coalition.
CP 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Lazza wrote:
CP wrote:

I'm certain that the the 'hate media' and 'shock jocks' were actually far more effective than their ABC in influencing voters at the last election. They did a mighty fine job for the Coalition.

So the issues with the previous government weren't real?

Don't forget, mainstream media (including their ABC) only really began to question the Gillard govt in the last few weeks leading up to the election. For context, the problems within the Labor/Greens govt were terminal from about 18 months out. They were clearly dysfunctional, fractured, incompetent & beyond salvation.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:49 pm

CP wrote:
Lazza wrote:
CP wrote:

So the issues with the previous government weren't real?

Don't forget, mainstream media (including their ABC) only really began to question the Gillard govt in the last few weeks leading up to the election. For context, the problems within the Labor/Greens govt were terminal from about 18 months out. They were clearly dysfunctional, fractured, incompetent & beyond salvation.

Perception is in in eyes of the beholder CP. Everyone looks bad once you set your mind to it because humans will always see what they want to see.
What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are and your political leanings. Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.

There may well be some people who think that the current Coalition government are clearly dysfunctional, fractured, incompetent & beyond salvation. Songs are as sad as the listener.................. Rolling Eyes
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

[quote="Culprit"]
CP wrote:

Many of you are complete hypocrites.quote]Don't forget at the same time Rhinehart spent millions on supression orders to have her families infighting from hitting the press.

Murdoch sells Views, ABC produces Agendas. Apples to Oranges.

edited for accuracy

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:33 pm

[quote="MJ23"]
Culprit wrote:
CP wrote:

Murdoch sells Views, ABC produces Agendas. Apples to Oranges.

edited for accuracy

I see nothing wrong with presenting agenda items for active and robust discussion and debate. In fact I think its a really healthy thing to confront and challenge ideas. I do this at work meetings. Good on the ABC for doing this.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm

^ Once again, we see the hysterical right frantically inventing lies to cover other lies, screaming with frustration whenever someone dares to ask for facts or reasons, let along balance and accuracy.

Compare: no-one of the left side of politics, and no-one in the centre either, not even anyone in the centre-right such as moderate Liberals or old-school right-wing Labor people - no-one except the loonie ratbag extremists on the hard right, people like Abbott and Senator Bestiality and the IPA - these are the only people who are calling for the wholesale dismemberment of our open society and its replacement by a regime of paranoid government secrecy allied with a tame, synchophantic, heavily censored press. Once again we see the same pattern: a small minority of hard-line right-wing extremists take over public debate and are completely shameless about wrecking anything and everything that stands between them and their goal of perverting 200 years of balance, progress, civilisation, and rule of law in order to substitute their own fascist rule no matter what.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Lazza wrote:
[quote="MJ23"][quote="Culprit"][quote="CP"][b]Yet nobody thought to be quite so outraged when Gillard was pushing for laws to stifle freedom of speech directly fairly and squarely at News Ltd...[/b]sorry...the 'Hate Media'.

Murdoch sells Views, ABC produces [b]Agendas[/b]. Apples to Oranges.[/quote]

edited for accuracy[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with presenting agenda items for active and robust discussion and debate. In fact I think its a really healthy thing to confront and challenge ideas. I do this at work meetings. Good on the ABC for doing this.
Adam's Apple, Newton's Apple, Apple Computer. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: