Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Greatest album of all time remastered and re-released

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:31 am
Post subject: Greatest album of all time remastered and re-releasedReply with quote

No, I'm afraid not. We're still waiting for the definitive 6-disc edition of Dick Gaughan's "Handful of Earth".

In the meantime, though, I see there has been a 2017 50th anniversary deluxe remastering of a 1967 album by The Beatles. Has anyone heard it? Should I buy it? I have a worn-out vinyl, a replacement vinyl, a Japanese vinyl pressing, the 20th anniversary CD and the remaster from a few years back. Do I need a sixth copy of Pepper in my collection?

Otherwise, here's something to keep you going until 2031 when, no doubt, the deluxe remaster of the actual greatest album of all time will take over the stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInNrFZQEwk&list=RDoUNwQ6kuQdI&index=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38wBcVdJXM&index=17&list=RDoUNwQ6kuQdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9yQuZnf-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP15bKvUpdw&index=8&list=RDoUNwQ6kuQdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0tPr_GIMd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppcyTF-YJ1k&list=RDoUNwQ6kuQdI&index=22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUNwQ6kuQdI
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't a Gary Davis album the best of all time? lol If you're changing then I'll have Hunky Dory Wink (nb: Quicksand now in my repertoire)

Anyways, no you don't need another version. Aren't all these remasters just laying the compression on thick? I have the original 1987 release. Remember when CDs came out and you had to wait for the 20th anniversary of Beatles albums to actually buy the CD? Ah, old times.....

So, five versions of Peppers. I've got one version of all my CDs, except Thick As A Brick Cool Including bootlegs I have several bazillion Bricks.

I'll be giving Peppers a spin tomorrow + Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields. 50 years, that's incredible and just a little disconcerting.....

MM

PS: You'll find the doco "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" from 1987 here:

http://diggers.org/it_was_twenty.htm Very Happy

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:24 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Wasn't a Gary Davis album the best of all time? lol If you're changing then I'll have Hunky Dory Wink (nb: Quicksand now in my repertoire)

Anyways, no you don't need another version. Aren't all these remasters just laying the compression on thick? I have the original 1987 release. Remember when CDs came out and you had to wait for the 20th anniversary of Beatles albums to actually buy the CD? Ah, old times.....

So, five versions of Peppers. I've got one version of all my CDs, except Thick As A Brick Cool Including bootlegs I have several bazillion Bricks.

I'll be giving Peppers a spin tomorrow + Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields. 50 years, that's incredible and just a little disconcerting.....

MM

PS: You'll find the doco "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" from 1987 here:

http://diggers.org/it_was_twenty.htm Very Happy

Yes, I expect so. As are "Let It Bleed", "Basket of Light", "Liege and Lief", "The Songs of Ewan MacColl", "There Goes Rhyming Siming", "Wheels of Fire", "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Larks Tongues in Aspic", "Bringing it All Back Home" and "Rust in Peace", amongst many others. That's the problem with identifying any "best of". Anyway, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" and "Beggar's Banquet" are ahead or behind all of the above, as are "Willy and the Poor Boys", "Cosmo's Factory" and "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys".

As for Pepper, it's a good record but - rather like Paul once said of Ringo as a drummer - not even the "best" album by The Beatles. It probably was rather ground-breaking but there are probably 14 or 15 (note: some possible hint of exaggeration here) better records by them as a group. Wink
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Shannon Noll That's what I'm talking about?
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Of the acres of reading on Peppers I've done over the years, one thing always stays in my mind.

I can't remember where I read it but it was along the lines of "There are no love songs on Peppers (in and of itself unique for a Beatles LP? - my question) but there is love in every track".

MM

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

The Beatles were over rated.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 am

You can test that proposition for yourself at home. Write yourself a list of the best 25 songs of all-time. If you are doing it honestly, 90 of them will be written by The Beatles.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:28 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
You can test that proposition for yourself at home. Write yourself a list of the best 25 songs of all-time. If you are doing it honestly, 90 of them will be written by The Beatles.

With maths like that, I understand how lawyers invoicing works.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:30 am

You know nothing about real music. You know nothing about real invoicing. Wink
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:33 am

Nah, I reckon if anything the Beatles are under-rated

Their output is not only consistently very good or better, it's concentrated into a relatively small period of time.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 am

Less under-rated than Dick Gaughan - but under-rated just the same.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:01 am

stui magpie wrote:

Yes, but their best - mostly due to McCartney - was very good in its field, and some of their early songs were mould-breaking for rock and roll ("She Loves You" is way out there for 1963, in terms of its chord progression). I reckon Penny Lane is their masterpiece ; a vivid slice of life, heightened with musical colors like an expressionist painting.

Still, I agree that much of the work has aged badly, and large chunks -including much of Pepper - are dire.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 pm

A Day in the Life, though...!

My favourite, personally, is Tomorrow Never Knows. This might seem like faint praise to some, but it sounds kind of like the Chemical Brothers remixed a George Harrison song. I had no idea that music like that existed back then.

https://youtu.be/7UjvdZm-Tu8

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yes, but their best - mostly due to McCartney - was very good in its field, and some of their early songs were mould-breaking for rock and roll ("She Loves You" is way out there for 1963, in terms of its chord progression). I reckon Penny Lane is their masterpiece ; a vivid slice of life, heightened with musical colors like an expressionist painting.

Still, I agree that much of the work has aged badly, and large chunks -including much of Pepper - are dire.

Yep. By contrast, the Stones work of the same era holds up generally well.

David wrote:
A Day in the Life, though...!

My favourite, personally, is Tomorrow Never Knows. This might seem like faint praise to some, but it sounds kind of like the Chemical Brothers remixed a George Harrison song. I had no idea that music like that existed back then.

https://youtu.be/7UjvdZm-Tu8

They had drugs back then too

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Whatever they were on when they wrote that, I want some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: