Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott's Misogyny & Sexism for all to see

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Given the fact that these were private conversations, it's not the behaviour that's appalling; it's the mindset it betrays. Of course, anyone who is familiar with Young Liberals in general will hardly be surprised.

.....It's not even about the privacy so much as the need to separate individual from role. So long as he or she can separate his prejudice from his or her duties (which of course means treating constituents, colleagues and community leaders with genuine respect), there's no reason in theory why a misogynist, racist or homophobe shouldn't make for an excellent MP.

I'll have what you're on. Language is consciousness. Don't post on the interweb in larger forums even if private.

I agree however it should not be posted but it has been & that's what we're dealing with.

That there are so many sexist & misogynistic idiots in the liberal party is quite sad for all of us.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh the young libs keep on giving (publicly this time).

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/liberal-party-hit-by-another-social-media-controversy-after-members-homophobic-comments-20140811-102s7h.html

I told ewes but you wouldn't listen Razz Wink Laughing

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 pm

watt price tully wrote:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/liberal-party-hit-by-another-social-media-controversy-after-members-homophobic-comments-20140811-102s7h.html

Quote:
In a series of screenshots leaked to Fairfax Media

You're right, don't post it. But leaking private messages is a shitty thing to do.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm

partypie wrote:
What concerns me most is that these future leaders are stupid

Snap could not agree more PP!

I am gob smacked by the number of educated and apparently intelligent young folk who still post inappropriate stuff that is viewable by all and doesn't go away and don't seem to get the whole electronic footprint thing e.g. your login shows when you view say medical records you have no reason to view - frequently ends up damaging their career and sometimes ending their employment. Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 am

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Quote:
In a series of screenshots leaked to Fairfax Media

You're right, don't post it. But leaking private messages is a shitty thing to do.

It's not just "shitty". It's a ruthless and calculated act of political assassination.

Of course, some might say that it serves the public interest, too: we need to know what our leaders and future leaders really think. But the result of affairs like this is not that we get more decent politicians; it's that we get politicians more adept at hiding politically incorrect views and better at lying in general. I don't think that's a good thing.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 am

I think it's time we stopped judging groups of people by the actions of a few. When I was in the Labour Party in the eighties, there were a certain number who spent a lot of time arguing that the Soviet Union was a benign power bent on controlling the rise of fascism in Europe. They also used to go large on fantasies of violent revolution. There are knobs in most groups, especially groups that are based around some kind of "position" which they take to be righteous. I can even think of a certain football club that attracts a share of ferals....

The trick is to separate the movement from the idiots, by looking at the essential message and the practice of most of its members. The Liberal Party is not a lovely thing, especially nowadays, but there is a place for a democratic Conservative party, and the views of a few juveniles means very little.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 am

Mugwump wrote:
I think it's time we stopped judging groups of people by the actions of a few. When I was in the Labour Party in the eighties, there were a certain number who spent a lot of time arguing that the Soviet Union was a benign power bent on controlling the rise of fascism in Europe. They also used to go large on fantasies of violent revolution. There are knobs in most groups, especially groups that are based around some kind of "position" which they take to be righteous. I can even think of a certain football club that attracts a share of ferals....

The trick is to separate the movement from the idiots, by looking at the essential message and the practice of most of its members. The Liberal Party is not a lovely thing, especially nowadays, but there is a place for a democratic Conservative party, and the views of a few juveniles means very little.

The value of an orgainisation is how it deals with these types!

So far the Libs haven't dealt with them.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 am

Morrigu wrote:
partypie wrote:
What concerns me most is that these future leaders are stupid

Snap could not agree more PP!

I am gob smacked by the number of educated and apparently intelligent young folk who still post inappropriate stuff that is viewable by all and doesn't go away and don't seem to get the whole electronic footprint thing e.g. your login shows when you view say medical records you have no reason to view - frequently ends up damaging their career and sometimes ending their employment. Rolling Eyes

Ain't that the truth! You'd reckon growing up in this era, they would have some basic electronic footprint knowledge! That's why some things people put on Facebook astound me! And on forums,they just don't get there is really no such thing as delete!

Viewing medical files that aren't your business, that's really terrible, I guess same goes for cops. That's a big privacy violation. Be tempting though!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:45 am

Mugwump wrote:
I think it's time we stopped judging groups of people by the actions of a few..... The trick is to separate the movement from the idiots, by looking at the essential message and the practice of most of its members.

Quite so. We should not pay too much attention to these disgusting young slimeballs and think of the party in terms of its mainstream membership, which consists of older men with, in the main, a great and overriding sense of dedication to helping themselves to money by any and all available means: real estate agents, dodgy lawyers, slimeball businessmen with snouts in troughs, corrupt land developers, ambitious wannabe politicians ...... by their works shall you know them. The revelations of corruption coming out of New South Wales now are breathtaking in their scope and pervasiveness, but the real eye-catcher is the bland, yawning acceptance by the Liberal Party of the exposed corrupt, self-seeking greed at its core: no-one is surprised, no-one is appalled, no-one is crusading for reform and campaigning to throw out all the greedy and corrupt ones - nope, greed and corruption is just business as usual in the Liberal Party, move along please, nothing to see here.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Mugwump wrote:
there is a place for a democratic Conservative party, and the views of a few juveniles means very little.

I agree, but the Liberals are not that party any more. They've long since sold out to big business and phony far-right libertarianism. While elements of old-fashioned social conservatism exist in both the Liberal and Labor parties, I don't know if there really is a traditionally conservative party of any significance here any more.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:31 pm

David wrote:
I don't know if there really is a traditionally conservative party of any significance here any more.

Huh? Of course there is, and its name is the Australian Labor Party. Been getting more and more conservative every year since as far back as the 1980s.

Or if you define "conservative" as "interested in preserving quality of life and retaining all the good parts of Australia" then go no further than the Greens, who are far more conservative (in that true sense of the word) than Abbott's mob.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Wokko wrote:

I did something similar just a few days ago.
I've removed the post nd...
I'm sorry I did it but I am under a lot of pressure atm but I done being nice with farknuckles! *
Like I said, I did a shitty thing, I wish I hadn't!

*see: what are listening to right now!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I think it's time we stopped judging groups of people by the actions of a few..... The trick is to separate the movement from the idiots, by looking at the essential message and the practice of most of its members.

Quite so. We should not pay too much attention to these disgusting young slimeballs and think of the party in terms of its mainstream membership, which consists of older men with, in the main, a great and overriding sense of dedication to helping themselves to money by any and all available means: real estate agents, dodgy lawyers, slimeball businessmen with snouts in troughs, corrupt land developers, ambitious wannabe politicians ...... by their works shall you know them. The revelations of corruption coming out of New South Wales now are breathtaking in their scope and pervasiveness, but the real eye-catcher is the bland, yawning acceptance by the Liberal Party of the exposed corrupt, self-seeking greed at its core: no-one is surprised, no-one is appalled, no-one is crusading for reform and campaigning to throw out all the greedy and corrupt ones - nope, greed and corruption is just business as usual in the Liberal Party, move along please, nothing to see here.

And in that, sadly, I can find little with which to disagree.. The Australian Liberal Party has largely turned into the US Republican Party without the B52s. In my day, Malcolm Fraser (a proper conservative) was considered the enemy. Talk about the age of innocence.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
I don't know if there really is a traditionally conservative party of any significance here any more.

Huh? Of course there is, and its name is the Australian Labor Party. Been getting more and more conservative every year since as far back as the 1980s.

Or if you define "conservative" as "interested in preserving quality of life and retaining all the good parts of Australia" then go no further than the Greens, who are far more conservative (in that true sense of the word) than Abbott's mob.

Yes, over here in Britain we still have two of the good old traditional parties - a Conservative Party that thinks the poor are all slackers and the CEOs are worthy grandees ; and a Labour Party that thinks your money is really theirs to manage and that the monopoly state knows better than you what's good for you. Can't entirely blame the Scots for wanting to leave.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Do a lot of people think the poor all slackers and the CEOs worthy grandees ; and a Labour Party that thinks your money is theirs to manage and that the monopoly state knows better than you what's good for you are all slackers and the CEOs are worthy grandees ; and a Labour Party that thinks your money is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: