Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bugger

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
She's 29 or 30, and it's stage 3 bowel cancer, apparently. I don't really see much of her these days—she's still up in Canberra and we haven't been close friends for a long time—so there's not much prospect of me being there for her. She is in my thoughts though. Hope they resolve it soon and it doesn't prove to be a recurring thing.

Just an update on this: she went in to have a liver resection surgery yesterday. Unfortunately, they were unable to remove the biggest tumour. There are other possible treatments, but this is a major setback.

She wrote this article on cancer treatment a few weeks back. I think it's worth sharing:

https://overland.org.au/2015/03/our-bodies-our-lives/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 pm

David wrote:
David wrote:
She's 29 or 30, and it's stage 3 bowel cancer, apparently. I don't really see much of her these days—she's still up in Canberra and we haven't been close friends for a long time—so there's not much prospect of me being there for her. She is in my thoughts though. Hope they resolve it soon and it doesn't prove to be a recurring thing.

Just an update on this: she went in to have a liver resection surgery yesterday. Unfortunately, they were unable to remove the biggest tumour. There are other possible treatments, but this is a major setback.

She wrote this article on cancer treatment a few weeks back. I think it's worth sharing:

https://overland.org.au/2015/03/our-bodies-our-lives/

Wow, that's a powerful piece. I'm so sorry the news isn't good. I hate those Christmas tree pet scans. Hubbies is scheduled for the 1st of May.

Apart from the first surgeon, who has impeccable standards and records, but no bed side manner, we've been pretty lucky with the staff at both hospitals and care centres.

I get what she means about the bogie cures on Facebook etc. it all gets to be too much. And false promises just leads to more heartache,

I wish your friend the best for her future, and I will say a prayer for her. Such an awful disease, and so so young. Cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks Jo, I appreciate it.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend David! All the best to her in the future.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:50 pm

This was a wonderful idea and it sounds like it went really well:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/elizabeth-speaks-about-living-with-cancer--and-holding-her-own-wake--as-national-palliative-care-week-approaches-20160520-gozoew.html

I couldn't make it, but I will be flying up to Canberra next week so hopefully will catch up then. Reading that article was a surreal experience in two ways – one was the realisation that thousands of people are reading about someone I knew intimately; the second, more devastating one was yet another reminder that this is actually happening for real, and that I will almost certainly be seeing her for the last time. I find that really hard to accept.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 pm

That's a very powerful, and strangely uplifting read. Thanks for sharing. Last times are a bitch. How do you let go? Hugs honey. Elizabeth is obviously pretty special, and I am glad she has seemingly made peace with her story. Not a easy thing to do. Love her attitude, her message is brilliant, and I will try to remember her spin on palliative care. Cheers mate. There really are no words that can help. Be brave. Take the time. You will always remember it. Xxxx
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks Jo. Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 am

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:05 am

Pretty minor when you look at the previous discussion but the red headed chick will miss her first game of netball this Saturday in 4 1/2 years. Hasn't missed a game since she started playing, which is good considering there are 2 seasons each year.

She dislocated a finger yesterday playing school footy. Playing on the ball she attempted to smother a kick and ended up with her left index finger bent backwards at an awkward angle. Trip to the doctors then Monash Medical emergency (fortunately still able to go to Paediatric emergency so no waiting) for x-rays. No break so a bit of happy gas and they popped it back into place. Should be OK in a couple of weeks.

Bugger for her is that is her left hand and she can still write, so no getting out of class apart from PE (which is her favourite subject next to Food Tech).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 am

Dark Beanie wrote:
Pretty minor when you look at the previous discussion but the red headed chick will miss her first game of netball this Saturday in 4 1/2 years. Hasn't missed a game since she started playing, which is good considering there are 2 seasons each year.

She dislocated a finger yesterday playing school footy. Playing on the ball she attempted to smother a kick and ended up with her left index finger bent backwards at an awkward angle. Trip to the doctors then Monash Medical emergency (fortunately still able to go to Paediatric emergency so no waiting) for x-rays. No break so a bit of happy gas and they popped it back into place. Should be OK in a couple of weeks.

Bugger for her is that is her left hand and she can still write, so no getting out of class apart from PE (which is her favourite subject next to Food Tech).

bugger!!

depending which finger it is, and if its not sore, you can get a really good plastic splint! i played with a snapped tendon that i didnt even feel when it happened!(doc said id be out for 6 weeks, i didnt miss a game) and junior has used one with a ball hit finger that had a couple of cracks in it. (those balls that get you on the end of a finger really hurt!) because its plastic its allowed. just cover it with tape.

in saying that the most painful thing i ever did was break the top knuckle of my little finger in a prelim, with 1 min to go, i crawled of the court, no way i could stay out there! we had lost anyway, 5 goals down!

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks TP.

Finger is still quite sore and swollen, going a lovely shade of purple, with a touch of black!
Her teammates can pull their fingers out and do the hard yards tomorrow. She is due for a rest as had been complaining of sore shins & knees. All going OK she will only miss one game, team has a Bye next weekend and don't play on QB weekend. Coach is disappointed though as she I snow missing her best defender, 2nd best shooter & someone who can run faster than our designated centre. Red headed chick is basically the team utility.

She will still be able to umpire tomorrow (she has just started as a learner), so that will keep her busy.

I can feel her pain as I have broken a finger and thumb playing netball (at different times). The worst injury was tearing the ligaments down one side of my ankle & breaking a bone in my foot. Break wasn't diagnosed properly, so I spent 8 weeks on crutches, another 3 months of physio in order to be able to run & back on the court.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:15 pm

Visit to the doctors today and a more detailed review of xrays revealed a chip in the middle joint of the index finger. Finger is in a metal splint & will miss an extra couple of weeks.

There probably goes her teams slim chance of making finals this season.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:57 am

think positive wrote:
10 more minutes.

that's all ive got.

my oldest baby is 21 in just 10 more minutes.

Ugh. My turn.

#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:51 am

mandy wrote:
think positive wrote:
10 more minutes.

that's all ive got.

Ugh. My turn.

Hugs, how do the years go so fast?

Xxxxx

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:25 pm

think positive wrote:
mandy wrote:
think positive wrote:
10 more minutes.

that's all ive got.

Ugh. My turn.

Hugs, how do the years go so fast?

Xxxxx

In your case.

Alcohol. Razz Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: