Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bugger

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/2014/02/03/05/53/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead

Bloody entertainers and there drug habits.

Enjoyed his work.

What a waste.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 am

Yeah, that sucks. At the peak of his career, too.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Had a close encounter with the sad side of some Aboriginal culture this arvo.

Called into the pub behind my hotel, got a beer and went out to the smoking area. Only sitting down for a minute when this Aboriginal girl came up and sat down real close and asked for a smoke. I'm used to having smokes bummed off me, no big deal, so I gave her one. Then the barmaid came out and asked if she was with me. She said yes, I said no. The barmaid knew she was there scabbing smkes so she told her to leave. She ignored the barmaid who left, she then asked mfor a light, and I handed it to her, but instead of lighting the smoke she then asked me for $5. I said no.

She was wired on something and I could see where this was going, as clear as the tits hanging through the deliberately torn top.

I asked her to please light the smoke and return the lighter as I was heading back inside, she kept stalling, asking for money and mumbling something I couldn't quite catch about who I looked like. I felt sorry for her but handing over some cash was not the right thing to do.

Then the security bloke, big maori came out. Barmaid must have sent him. He spent about 2 minutes asking her to leave then grabbed her arm, hauled her up to her feet and walked her out.

Very much a "bugger" type of feeling.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Had a close encounter with the sad side of some Aboriginal culture this arvo.

Called into the pub behind my hotel, got a beer and went out to the smoking area. Only sitting down for a minute when this Aboriginal girl came up and sat down real close and asked for a smoke. I'm used to having smokes bummed off me, no big deal, so I gave her one. Then the barmaid came out and asked if she was with me. She said yes, I said no. The barmaid knew she was there scabbing smkes so she told her to leave. She ignored the barmaid who left, she then asked mfor a light, and I handed it to her, but instead of lighting the smoke she then asked me for $5. I said no.

She was wired on something and I could see where this was going, as clear as the tits hanging through the deliberately torn top.

I asked her to please light the smoke and return the lighter as I was heading back inside, she kept stalling, asking for money and mumbling something I couldn't quite catch about who I looked like. I felt sorry for her but handing over some cash was not the right thing to do.

Then the security bloke, big maori came out. Barmaid must have sent him. He spent about 2 minutes asking her to leave then grabbed her arm, hauled her up to her feet and walked her out.

Very much a "bugger" type of feeling.

Did you get your lighter back?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 pm

I've wondered before about the ethics of giving money to homeless people. On one level it's a bad precedent to set and probably doesn't really help them in the long run, but surely most of us could spare a bit of cash now and then to help someone get a meal? I ask this question as someone who almost always says no.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 pm

David wrote:
I've wondered before about the ethics of giving money to homeless people. On one level it's a bad precedent to set and probably doesn't really help them in the long run, but surely most of us could spare a bit of cash now and then to help someone get a meal? I ask this question as someone who almost always says no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6kl17HH9s

Very relevant Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I got my lighter back, she reluctantly handed it back after she lit up. I potentially would have given her a fiver but I knew I only had 20's and 50's in my wallet and I could read the signs that she'd keep stepping up the ask so I said no early.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

David wrote:

So buy them The food and give them that. What will the cash be spent on?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 pm

^ Some people might find that patronising, but I understand it might be a better approach. How have you found people react to that in the past?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

She asked me for $5 to buy a beer. Normally, offering to pay for what beggers are asking for monry for, doesn't end well.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:53 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Watch the Video I posted, it's a stand up comedian pretty much arguing against that approach (and it's funny).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:58 am

I have to say I do enjoy Steve Hughes's work. One of my favourite stand-up comedians. Smile
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:05 am

David wrote:
^ Some people might find that patronising, but I understand it might be a better approach. How have you found people react to that in the past?

If they are begging for something from me I really don't care if they find it patronising!

Go to the states, or bali, make the mistake of handing someone a buck, and see what happens, it's amazing how quickly you become immune and can act like it's not there. They have professional beggers, seriously!

But in saying that, I've stood behind an older lady almost in tears when she was a couple of dollars short for her groceries and just discreetly handed the money to her. There is no need to make those really in need feel like crap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

If they are begging for something from me I really don't care if they find it patronising!

Go to the states, or bali, make the mistake of handing someone a buck, and see what happens, it's amazing how quickly you become immune and can act like it's not there. They have professional beggers, seriously!

But in saying that, I've stood behind an older lady almost in tears when she was a couple of dollars short for her groceries and just discreetly handed the money to her. There is no need to make those really in need feel like crap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: