Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post 2013 Draft reflections (waddya reckon)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
Very happy with the addition of Scharenberg. However, I have my doubts about Freeman. Would've preferred Lennon with Salem gone as one obvious weakness from last season was ball use. By all reports Lennon was one of the better users by foot (along with Salem & Aish) in this draft. Yet we selected someone that "needs to work on his kicking" in Freeman. Does add much needed pace though. We'll see over time whether we've made the right decision on that one.

I think Lennon would have been a good to get, but i think the club identified speed as an issue in the midfield and had to take whichever of salem or freeman the dees left behind. Really impressed with the people who really nailed the phantom board. isnt it amazing that there wasnt one surprise in the entire top 14. it was almost exactly as predicted.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:01 am

September Zeros wrote:

We've now picked up three blokes, Kennedy, Grundy, and iceberg all of whom have a history of playing together, all of whom are mates.

Remember two other little South Australians in our 1990 premiership side?

Russell and Francis. Is history repeating except in threes this time? Laughing

Very exciting draft for us.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:31 am

I like this unity thing. I might be mistaken, but I'm sure Tim Broomhead was in the same South Aus side as these guys??

Just adds to the unity!! Go Pies
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 am

Time will tell, but you can't help but feel excited. To think we have just landed Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead, Adams, Scharenberg and Freeman in the past two years is phenomenal really. Six first rounders with serious talent and potential, a big dose of toughness in there, too, have you noticed? Then to think there's Karnezis, White, Armstrong, and later picks like Ramsay, Marsh, Langdon etc.

Young, Toovs and Faz to rock back into the equation and there's a buzz. Might take a bit to settle but the future is set.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:47 am

The thing about Freeman is that his kicking isn't a liability, so if his kicking doesn't hurt us and hurts them, then we have got a beauty.

Not only did someone say Shazza is the best talent since Carey I think he looks like Carey. His legs aren't overly gangly and has a low centre of gravity for a big man. I'm pumped about this fella and if his foot/feet aren't a problem, he will be the best player on our list along with Pendlebury and Grundy in three years time.

Langdon looks like a good kick and a leader to boot.

Marsh could be a ripper, but wouldn't you think Conlan with all his hype could have been picked now instead of the rookie draft?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
Very happy with the addition of Scharenberg. However, I have my doubts about Freeman. Would've preferred Lennon with Salem gone as one obvious weakness from last season was ball use. By all reports Lennon was one of the better users by foot (along with Salem & Aish) in this draft. Yet we selected someone that "needs to work on his kicking" in Freeman. Does add much needed pace though. We'll see over time whether we've made the right decision on that one.

Fair enough comment but I have total confidence in Hine to get this one right. I have a very long memory and remember the numerous negative posts here about getting Pendles ahead of Ellis. That one worked out a treat. Also there were heaps of negative posts about getting Leigh Brown. Give these boys time and I bet you they will prove Hine and co right every time. Just sit back without a worry and enjoy the ride folks. Laughing Cool
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 am

I'm a bit sad that Michael Apeness went to far away Fremantle - less chance of rubbishing "the Big Ape".

but, if he comes up against "Shintaro" Grundy in round one, it could be...

Monkey Magic!!

(Ballantyne and Crowley as Pigsy and Sandy?)
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 am

South Australia might be the new Gippsland Power.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 am

I'm rapt we landed the Iceberg. He's a big, strong, mobile, classy player with great disposal skills, and by all accounts, an amazing ability to read the play, intercept and then make the right decision with the ball.

As for Freeman, I know nothing about this kid other than seeing his highlights package. While there seems to be a view his kicking lacks precision, it didn't look too bad in what i've seen. He looks a much better kick than Swanny. As others have noted, with the departure of Daisy and Wellingham, we desperately needed an injection of pace.

I'm also rapt that he's a medium sized midfielder and his bulk and style mean that he and Adams will surely become a fearsome on-ball combination. I don't know what others think, but I get the strong impression that Bucks is building a physically tough and imposing team. Think of Witts, Grundy, Adams, Freeman, White, Langdon and Marsh. They are all powerfully built and aggressive players.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 am

DP
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Podpicken wrote:
Time will tell, but you can't help but feel excited. To think we have just landed Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead, Adams, Scharenberg and Freeman in the past two years is phenomenal really. Six first rounders with serious talent and potential, a big dose of toughness in there, too, have you noticed? Then to think there's Karnezis, White, Armstrong, and later picks like Ramsay, Marsh, Langdon etc.

Young, Toovs and Faz to rock back into the equation and there's a buzz. Might take a bit to settle but the future is set.

Podpicken, you've mentioned only six first rounders... In fact, it is SEVEN first round pick in 12 months... Karnezis was also a first round pick. I doubt that any club has ever had that many first round picks enter the club in such a short space of time whist still playing finals. We brought in three first rounders last year and four this year...

Awesome work by the recruiting team... Hine, Rendell and co.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

magpieazza wrote:
The thing about Freeman is that his kicking isn't a liability, so if his kicking doesn't hurt us and hurts them, then we have got a beauty.

Not only did someone say Shazza is the best talent since Carey I think he looks like Carey. His legs aren't overly gangly and has a low centre of gravity for a big man. I'm pumped about this fella and if his foot/feet aren't a problem, he will be the best player on our list along with Pendlebury and Grundy in three years time.

Langdon looks like a good kick and a leader to boot.

Marsh could be a ripper, but wouldn't you think Conlan with all his hype could have been picked now instead of the rookie draft?
He is a great kick off one step and under our development program he will become very damaging. Swan has already called him and set up and appointment for a sleeve to be done. Swan MKII Very Happy
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Very happy to get Scharenberg at 6 as he was my main hope and Freeman just looks like Swan in build and to be honest I'm quite happy now the dees took Salem instead.

If we had of went for the pure midfielder in Aish I would have been satisfied as well as adding him, Freeman and Adams to our midfield was appealing.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:19 pm

stoid wrote:
Podpicken wrote:

Podpicken, you've mentioned only six first rounders... In fact, it is SEVEN first round pick in 12 months... Karnezis was also a first round pick. I doubt that any club has ever had that many first round picks enter the club in such a short space of time whist still playing finals. We brought in three first rounders last year and four this year...

Awesome work by the recruiting team... Hine, Rendell and co.

8 if you count Jordan Russell
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Shazzaberg was a no brainer. Lock him in for 200 games. A real class act.

Freeman I can see why a few doubt his kicking a bit but he's got real pace and strength along with good decision maker. Give him time and after the nerves settle he could become a real elite midfielder. let's hop Dangerfield mark 2. Would have been happy with Lennon or Sheed all the same.

Marsh I reckon could be the biggest steal of all time.

cheers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: