Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post 2013 Draft reflections (waddya reckon)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:58 pm
Post subject: Post 2013 Draft reflections (waddya reckon)Reply with quote

Just a new thread for a general observations post draft.

Thoughts, feelings & impressions. Just an area to express ones opinions about who "we" you know Hine, Rendell & Nicks selected this year:

My view is that we seemed to have picked heavier bodied kids. Not a skinny minnie amongst them that I noted.

Have we picked any long accurate kicks? Not sure.

Quite happy overall.

Sharenberg was identified by Snoop Dog a long time ago as a good fit for selection 6 - this seems to have worked out.

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Scharenberg looks likely. Good size and good skills. Can see the Goddard comparison.

Freeman I'm not convinced about. Has pace but his highlights didn't show a lot of extraction.

Still, what would I know!

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm sad that stupid Brisbane invested two years into a kid who will ask for a trade at first opportunity instead of leaving him for us.

Super happy we picked up the Berg though. He will be a gun.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Our guys know their stuff. No doubt they would be happy with their work tonight.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Quote:
Collingwood is the only finalist in the past nine years to scoop two top-10 picks

Well, that's nice Very Happy.

It was a toss up between Scharenberg and Aish at 6. But Scharenberg has some real potential, and if his injuries are not a problem then we've probably got it him at below price.

Freeman was the best option remaining at 10. He has excellent pace and a strong body, so will definitely make an immediate impact. He helps to alleviate a major weakness in our team - pace through the midfield - this was more of a concern for me than height. Thomas and Wellingham needed replacing. This is why we needed to go for a mid that gives us something different rather than another utility type. Freeman also has a strong body and is able to win his own ball, but it's his running ability that is important for us.

Given who was available I don't think we could have done any different at 6 and 10. What we have done is pick two players who are AFL ready now (injuries excepted for Scharenberg), that may not have been the case for the likes of Kelly, Aish, Bontempelli etc who all need to put on some muscle before becoming genuine AFL players. Certainly for next year, we could not have done any better, not even if we'd been able to pick a Boyd.

Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Scharenberg looks like an absolute beauty and his flexibilty as far as position is concerned is second to none in this draft.
Freeman reminds me of Robert Harvey and could be just the speedy outside mid we need. Will develop his inside game I'm sure. He made some very quick and good decisions in that highlight reel on CTV.
Marsh is definitely a project player, but with his size and speed, reminds me of Barry Hall.
Langdon is very much a Mackie type. Clean hands, composed and beautiful kick going by his highlights.

Nice pick ups Pies!

Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

I think this drafting shows that Bucks is not considering us in a rebuilding phase as some media pundits have exclaimed, but with the strong bodied types and few project players in the VFL as having a list that can all play serious finals quality football for the next few years.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

like our Draft.

Shezza can play well just about everywhere except the Ruck.

Freeman give us someone who can take the game on. Daisy Replacement.

Langdon. Not sure about him but was Co-Captian of the Sandy Dragond

Marsh is Raw but very exciting Prospect

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 pm

This may sound a little wishy washy , but I'm rapt with the berg for another reason. Player unity.

To win a premiership you need classy players, skillful X factor types bla bla blA.......but you also need unity and a player group thirsty for a flag and playing for each other. We've now picked up three blokes, Kennedy, Grundy, and iceberg all of whom have a history of playing together, all of whom are mates. It helps with player retention, it helps with morale and they tend to input similar effort in developing themselves through healthy intra club competition, pushing each other continuously. Think rat pack and Benny Johnson's effort to become a walk up 22.

From this point of view berg was the right choice over aish. Does he have the tools? Let's hope so.

Re freeman we needed the zip. Say no more.

Re Langdon and marsh I know very little of these other than the YouTube videos I've watched. Is it me or does marsh look a likely. I reckon he'll end up very very good or very very bad with no In between. What do I base that on. Very little other than gut. But he does have that "get the %# out of my way" look about him. I like that. Other than pace a little Argo won't go astray at pie land.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Last edited by September Zeros on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 pm

agree with 'September Zeros', I really like how Marsh has the mongrel in him. Arrogance is not a bad thing when it comes to winning premierships. I would rather this than a nice guy at the moment.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 pm

^^From what I've read about Marsh, he's the sort of player that looks great if you just watch his highlights. The problem has been that there is too much in between and he can also make some shocking mistakes.

Definitely has the physical attributes, the question will be whether he can put it all together. Certainly worth taking a punt on at 77.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 pm

September Zeros wrote:
This may sound a little wishy washy , but I'm rapt with the berg for another reason. Player unity.

Not at all wishy-washy, SZ. The old adage champion team - team of champions holds good. Bucks and his men are not trying to patch up the 2010 Premiership side with a few new faces, they recognise that three short years have seen that team fade and scatter. This is a whole new team now, moulded in Buckley's image, and it will be very interesting to see how far he can take it. Having a core of like-minded, committed young players is very, very important.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:36 pm

It's definitely a new team. Amazing how much it has changed in the last few years.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 pm

I will repeat something I said on another thread. Langdon missed out last year and instead of sooking went back and worked on improving his skill set. He was made co-captain of the Sandy Dragons and apparently showed real leadership skills. This is very similar to Maxwell's story. If, like Captain Maxy, he can improve his game to the point where he is just inside the best 22 then maybe we are looking at future leader of the club five years or so down the track.
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:01 am

Very happy with the addition of Scharenberg. However, I have my doubts about Freeman. Would've preferred Lennon with Salem gone as one obvious weakness from last season was ball use. By all reports Lennon was one of the better users by foot (along with Salem & Aish) in this draft. Yet we selected someone that "needs to work on his kicking" in Freeman. Does add much needed pace though. We'll see over time whether we've made the right decision on that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: