Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood Matthew Scharenberg

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nearly 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly confident that whatever injuries our draftees have, The Hine and others at a The Club have read an early draft of the HS article and hence were aware.
Rene Pogel 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Hearld Sun said he could miss 6 Months Sad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2013-collingwood-takes-a-chance-on-scharenberg-as-boyd-picked-at-no-1-by-giants/story-fni5f22o-1226765393582
AS long as there is no long term probs we can live with that.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 pm

The next Selwood?

What, so he's going to duck and play for free kicks?

What have we DONE?!

Laughing

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Stupied wrote:
"Obviously there was some speculation leading into the draft but to come to a club like Collingwood with such rich tradition, and to play under 'Bucks' and hopefully alongside some of the most elite midfielders in the competition, I am absolutely stoked at the opportunity."

Is it just me, or is every young kid we recruit genuinely thrilled knowing they'll be playing under Bucks?

So much for the BS rumours about players not liking him Wink

Possibly something to do with his association with the AIS? I know that Adams had been coached by him for a bit.

Little Wonder 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Selwood, Judd, even Dawes, and I'm sure there are others who have had injuries so slid down the pecking order have shown that quality is worth the risk.
I love this time of year when the disappointment of last years season is replaced with optimism of what could be with Hine's foresight (in this case Rendel's SA knowledge doesn't hurt either).
I like the cut of Matt's jib, i think that with last years picks and this years collection we have the right mix to stay at the top.
If he does turn out to be as good as Selwood- who we all know was going to be a Pies player until Geelong snuck in- then we are on our way to #16
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Well we can hope so
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Stupied wrote:
"Obviously there was some speculation leading into the draft but to come to a club like Collingwood with such rich tradition, and to play under 'Bucks' and hopefully alongside some of the most elite midfielders in the competition, I am absolutely stoked at the opportunity."

Is it just me, or is every young kid we recruit genuinely thrilled knowing they'll be playing under Bucks?

So much for the BS rumours about players not liking him Wink

and no "Go Home Factor" that Brett Anderson said a month ago Very Happy

The bit you Quoted was from Freeman Wink

E 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 am
Post subject: Re: Scharenberg the next SelwoodReply with quote

thebaldfacts wrote:
Pies hoping that Scharenberg may be the next Selwood.

Also was only going to take 2 picks but when the players got over looked, could not resist.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-hope-matt-scharenberg-can-emulate-joel-selwood-after-being-late-draft-slider/story-fndv8g1a-1226765608148

Yes, in the sense that he, like Selwood, had an injury cloud that pushed him down the draft board. he will be the next Selwood if he actually plays footy. He will be the next Danny Roach if he doesnt! Of course, he will be the next Milne if he ....

E 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
I really hope I'm wrong, but I hate the idea of drafting defenders. You don't draft defenders, you draft mids and forwards and send the spare ones down back.

I know Hine has a great track record, and I've never seen one second of this guy's play, but I'm not feeling this pick.

BTW, if he was Goddard, he'd never be available at pick 6.

Hawks did ok by taking hodge.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 am

Hine obviously thinks we have done well.

Scharenberg dropped to us due to his injuries. Expected to be out of the draft after pick 10, but used 2 more picks on sliders they expected to be long gone.

Wonder where he had them rated.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 am

E wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
I really hope I'm wrong, but I hate the idea of drafting defenders. You don't draft defenders, you draft mids and forwards and send the spare ones down back.

I know Hine has a great track record, and I've never seen one second of this guy's play, but I'm not feeling this pick.

What's that got to do with anything? Hodge was drafted as a midfielder.

That just proves my point. You draft midfielders and send them down back when you have a surplus.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
E wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

That just proves my point. You draft midfielders and send them down back when you have a surplus.

Brown? Presti? Shaw?

We've done reasonably well drafting defenders. I'm not sure why you're taking this stance really. It's more the attitude clubs have to rucks, but even then, Grundy has shown us the right player is worth taking the risk on in the draft.

Don't stress, the Berg will be a gun, and will be a lock in the best 22 by the end of 2014. Calling it now.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:59 am

Stupied wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
E wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

Brown? Presti? Shaw?

We've done reasonably well drafting defenders. I'm not sure why you're taking this stance really. It's more the attitude clubs have to rucks, but even then, Grundy has shown us the right player is worth taking the risk on in the draft.

Don't stress, the Berg will be a gun, and will be a lock in the best 22 by the end of 2014. Calling it now.

None of whom were drafted as defenders, you are proving DSU's point - again.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:04 am

Stupied wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
E wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

Brown? Presti? Shaw?

Fair enough on Brown and Shaw, but Presti's another example. He was taken as a forward and moved down back after he couldn't cut it as a CHF.

Teams (both junior and senior) play their match - winners in the midfield or in the forward line.

If a guy's playing in the back line as a junior, it tells me that his coach doesn't rate him as a match - winner. And if you're not a match - winner in the juniors, you're probably going to struggle to make it in the big leagues.

Again, I know nothing about the guy and have never seen him play, so there's a good possibility I'm completely wrong and if I am I'll put my hand up and say so. But right now, I'm nervous.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't think that Berg has played his whole junior career as a backman, but he has certainly made a name for himself recently as one of the best intercept marks and rebounding HBFs, in the under 18's.

From what I've seen and heard he's pretty versatile, being able to play multiple positions. You certainly don't get described as the best schoolboy football player since Wayne Carey by an AFL premiership coach if you aren't rated as a match winner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: