Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Kelly in Rookie Draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 pm
Post subject: Jake Kelly in Rookie DraftReply with quote

He did not Get Drafted so we can Father/Son him in the Rookie Draft Very Happy
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Got him for a song. Hope he's got his dad's pinching fingers.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 pm

So the fears about the Old Man picking him up just to spite us were unfounded after all.

Fantastic. Another childhood Collingwood supporter playing for Collingwood to add to the nest.

But the real question is, will he get blind drunk and fall asleep drooling on McGuire's shoulder at some point? Laughing

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 am

Magpies pass over Jake Kelly in rookie draft
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-pass-over-jake-kelly-in-rookie-draft-20131126-2y874.html
Date November 27, 2013
Emma Quayle

Collingwood's crammed rookie list has forced the club to overlook Jake Kelly, the teenage son of 1990 premiership defender and potential future president Craig Kelly.

The Magpies will make just one selection at Wednesday's rookie draft, redrafting the contracted Corey Gault after delisting him earlier this month to make room for an extra pick in the national draft.

The club had nominated Kelly as a possible father-son rookie at the start of October, and could have added the young midfield prospect automatically to its rookie list after he made it through last week's national draft had it wished to.

However, the club had already retained four rookies and will take a 39-player primary list into season 2014, meaning it has room only for one extra rookie, Gault.

Kelly was considered a borderline draft prospect before he was overlooked last week; he has played 10 games for the Oakleigh Chargers. But after improving throughout last season and testing well at last month's draft combine, he is a chance to be rookie-listed by another club at Wednesday's final draft meeting.

The 18-year-old played three games for Collingwood's VFL team towards the end of last season, including in an elimination final, and ran the third best three-kilometre time trial at the combine behind drafted midfielders Josh Kelly (GWS) and Nick Robertson (Brisbane Lions).

Kelly's father played 122 games for the club in an eight-year career and is the co-founder and chief executive of powerful management company Elite Sports Properties. The 47-year-old has been touted as a future club president.

Fremantle has similarly decided against prelisting Ryan Lester-Smith, the son of former East Fremantle goalkicker Neil, as a rookie, after he too was overlooked in the national draft. The Dockers have told the 21-year-old half-forward they will not automatically list him, but the club is open to selecting him with one of its two or three selections.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 am

I think once we picked up Langdon the writing was on the wall for Kelly who would be a similar type of player.

Not sold on Gault.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 am

If drafting Langdon makes Kelly less desirable, wouldn't the same comments apply to Marsh and Gault?

Like Swoop I'm not sold on Gault either and if promises were made to Jake Kelly and his Dad it would be both ethical and prudent to honour those promises. It would not be smart to alienate one of the most powerful men in football even if he is a former player and life member of our club.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:37 am

Dr Pie wrote:
If drafting Langdon makes Kelly less desirable, wouldn't the same comments apply to Marsh and Gault?

Like Swoop I'm not sold on Gault either and if promises were made to Jake Kelly and his Dad it would be both ethical and prudent to honour those promises. It would not be smart to alienate one of the most powerful men in football even if he is a former player and life member of our club.

Don't we have a legal obligation to Gault ( don't mean the photo's either? Wink)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am

Dr Pie wrote:

We played him in the VFL last year, so I'm guessing he's on our VFL list anyway. He'd probably make more money as a VFL player than a rookie this year, then we could draft him next year if nobody takes him and he comes on a bit. I'm sure his dad understands that AFL has become far more business than romance.

He's obvious a borderline player like Tony Shaw's boys, better to remove the F/S feelings and look at him as just another player.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 am

WPT - We probably do have a legal obligation to Gault but this can be resoled by paying out his contract if we deem it necessary to recruit/rookie someone else.

Wokko - Playing as a 17 year old extra doesn't automatically put you on the VFL list although the club would be smart to add Kelly to the 2014 list. I'm sure you are right that "Ned" understands that AFL has become more business than romance, Ned was one of the people who drove football more towards the business model, still, I bet he would like his son to be listed with the Pies and there is an argument about keeping promises.

Pies Passion 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:25 am

Just got rookied by Adelaide with pick 40.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
WPT - We probably do have a legal obligation to Gault but this can be resoled by paying out his contract if we deem it necessary to recruit/rookie someone else.

But can we afford it? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: