Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood Jonathan Marsh

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOTR 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weed wrote:
he is so awesome we didnt pick him at 65...

perspective people.

Shows you how highly they rate Langdon. Wink

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:32 am

A real speculator and make no mistake; can't catch a cold.

Good luck to him though, a decent preseason and a year in the VFL could do his mitts the world of good

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:20 am

That's interesting, I haven't heard that from friends over there who have seen a fair bit of him. They say the same as Emma Quayle, Derek Hine and so on.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 am

bwphantom wrote:
This is from Chris 25 @ Bigfooty:
Now before you all go off I found this guy is pretty damn good with insight on who is who in WAFL.

Quote:
There is potentially nobody in the draft who divides opinion as much as Jonathon Marsh, and when it comes to this draft as a whole I feel as though he typifies exactly what it's about - someone will rate him a top 10 player, while another will consider him a late round pick at best. Ultimately when all is said and done, I genuinely believe someone will take the punt on him early. He just has too much talent not to.

One of the reasons people seem so unsure, I believe, is that they are trying to compare him to players from previous drafts. But just because Tim Membrey and Jack Darling 'slipped' down the draft order, it doesn't mean Marsh will too. Because, they are after all, not at all similar. So stop trying to fit him into a box, and start looking at him as something new.

Strengths

- Speed. It's the first thing that comes to mind when you mention Jonathon Marsh. He ran one of the fastest 20m sprint times ever recorded, and was far and away the fastest player of his size that we've seen. And most importantly, he doesn't just test well - he plays fast. His highlights package is filled with clips of him just turning it on and powering away from whoever is chasing him. Whether it's on a wing, through the middle or up forward. He knows he wont be caught.

- Versatility. Marsh has done it all. Early on in his career, he played across the back line. Then, he played through the midfield. And it has only been this year, that he has played as a genuine forward. So for all the criticism of Marsh not being a key forward at the next level, he isn't exactly limited for options and anyway it's not what he is ultimately best suited to either. He himself has said that he wants to be a midfielder, but will do whatever is asked of him. In the end, there are very few players with the potential to play as either a midfielder or KPP. And Marsh has the size and athletic ability to be developed into whatever the club wants. Don't discount just how highly clubs will value that.

- Intensity. Everything Marsh does on the ground, he does at 100%. He never leaves anything on the bench. And while it can get him into trouble at times, more often than not it will pay off. The opposition will have to be aware of what he is doing every minute of the game, because as soon as you take your eyes off of him, he'll be gone.

- Rawness. In his own words, Marsh "doesn't know much about the game". But I see this as a strength, and not a weakness. Because to me, it highlights just how much development there is still to come. Take his kicking for example - he is one of only a few players in the draft who can genuinely kick the ball 60m, but admittedly he can spray it too. Get him into an AFL environment though, and they'll iron that out. And with his combination of speed and that boot, he'll be a legitimate 100m player. Similarly, in the WAFL this year he kicked 20.37 - not great in terms of accuracy. But that was in 13 games, which is over 4 shots on goal a game. Even if he kicks at 50% accuracy, that's a huge contribution. If a club can harness his speed, exceptional leap, powerful boot and allround x-factor, then he could be absolutely anything.

Weaknesses

- Marking. This is the main concern over Marsh as a forward. He isn't a real threat in contested marking situations, despite his leap. Get him on the lead, and he'll create enough separation for an easy uncontested mark. But against a bigger and stronger opponent, he'll struggle. So far he has gotten around this through two ways - bringing the ball to ground and beating them that way, or alternatively getting to the back of the contest and trying to get the ball to come over the top. Because once he gets goal side of his opponent, it's all over. Against zone defenses and better opposition though, this wont be quite as easy.

- Rawness. Okay, so maybe it is a bit of a weakness too. He absolutely knows how to make his strengths work for him, but he still has a long way to go in any other areas. As I mentioned, his kicking needs work. As does his marking. He'll also need to harness his energy at times, and look up before setting off on one of his trademark runs.

Midfielder or Forward?

I'm not sure he will ever be considered one or the other. At his prime, you could argue over what Adam Goodes was. And I think the same arguments will be had over Marsh. What I see, is a team combining the roles and turning Marsh into a hybrid player - a key, midfield flanker. Play him as the third (or even fourth) tall forward, starting at around the CHF position but moving up as that extra midfielder. He'll create mismatches all day - tall defenders wont go with him, midfielders wont transition into defenders.

I really don't see him as being too far off either Bontempelli or Kolodjashnij when it comes to prospects at the next level. All three have similar question marks over position in my mind. And while the first two have the performances on the board, I'd give the points to Marsh for potential. Whatever happens, he'll be a fascinating player to watch.

Why Fremantle?

Possibly the biggest question, why would I take him over Cam McCarthy? Impact. I see McCarthy as being a 2-3 year project, and while we do need a tall forward for the future, it wont help much now. Whereas in the back half of 2014, I could see Marsh being a genuine option for the green vest. Bring him on in the fourth quarter, and let him run wild. Plus, he fits with our recent recruitment policy of size, speed and versatility. Imagine, being able to rotate the likes of Fyfe, Marsh, Sylvia and Morabito through the midfield and forward lines.

I will fill the need of a genuine KPP later on, at both ends of the ground, but for now I feel as though Marsh compliments what we already have - both up forward (Pavlich, Gumbleton, Mayne, Taberner) and in the midfield (Barlow, Mundy, Crowley).

The other three players in my shortlist of five, were Trent Dumont, Lewis Taylor and Isaiah Miller. But ultimately I couldn't go past the pure talent of Jonathon Marsh, particularly in what I consider to be a fairly shallow draft.

Also I spoke with one of my old teammates Rod Willett (a WAFL caller for local ABC). His words were to the effect of Bargain at a basement price. Rod thought he would go top 30.

Sounds like very similar attributes to Goldsack.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:43 pm

that description of him really gets my juices flowing. the old captain can feel the crank turning in the engine-house of his nether regions - all signs point to north!!!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Podpicken wrote:
Exciting.

He is a Very Exciting Prospect that is for sure but lot of development needed as he is very Raw Very Happy

Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:43 pm

The more I look at this kids highlights the more excited I get. Yeah he could bomb, but there's a bloody good chance that in a few years time there will be 17 other teams kicking themselves for overlooking this kid while we are all laughing our heads off Wink
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:32 pm

That's right Stupied, I agree. I didn't even think we were going to use that pick so it's definitely worth a punt. He could well be an enigma, a beast who pulls out four goals in a quarter to win us a grand final one day. If he flatlines, well, so be it. Worth the roll of a dice. We're well stocked at this stage of the game I reckon for 2014, particularly 2015-18.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm not a fan YET because his kicking and marking and tackling and defensive running are not up to scratch, so its waiting with interest for me.
You need to be a complete player.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Look this up in a few years time. I predict March will defy the odds for someone picked so late in the draft and will be a 100+ game player. He will be a beauty.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 am

bwphantom wrote:
This is from Chris 25 @ Bigfooty:
Now before you all go off I found this guy is pretty damn good with insight on who is who in WAFL.

Quote:
There is potentially nobody in the draft who divides opinion as much as Jonathon Marsh, and when it comes to this draft as a whole I feel as though he typifies exactly what it's about - someone will rate him a top 10 player, while another will consider him a late round pick at best. Ultimately when all is said and done, I genuinely believe someone will take the punt on him early. He just has too much talent not to.

One of the reasons people seem so unsure, I believe, is that they are trying to compare him to players from previous drafts. But just because Tim Membrey and Jack Darling 'slipped' down the draft order, it doesn't mean Marsh will too. Because, they are after all, not at all similar. So stop trying to fit him into a box, and start looking at him as something new.

Strengths

- Speed. It's the first thing that comes to mind when you mention Jonathon Marsh. He ran one of the fastest 20m sprint times ever recorded, and was far and away the fastest player of his size that we've seen. And most importantly, he doesn't just test well - he plays fast. His highlights package is filled with clips of him just turning it on and powering away from whoever is chasing him. Whether it's on a wing, through the middle or up forward. He knows he wont be caught.

- Versatility. Marsh has done it all. Early on in his career, he played across the back line. Then, he played through the midfield. And it has only been this year, that he has played as a genuine forward. So for all the criticism of Marsh not being a key forward at the next level, he isn't exactly limited for options and anyway it's not what he is ultimately best suited to either. He himself has said that he wants to be a midfielder, but will do whatever is asked of him. In the end, there are very few players with the potential to play as either a midfielder or KPP. And Marsh has the size and athletic ability to be developed into whatever the club wants. Don't discount just how highly clubs will value that.

- Intensity. Everything Marsh does on the ground, he does at 100%. He never leaves anything on the bench. And while it can get him into trouble at times, more often than not it will pay off. The opposition will have to be aware of what he is doing every minute of the game, because as soon as you take your eyes off of him, he'll be gone.

- Rawness. In his own words, Marsh "doesn't know much about the game". But I see this as a strength, and not a weakness. Because to me, it highlights just how much development there is still to come. Take his kicking for example - he is one of only a few players in the draft who can genuinely kick the ball 60m, but admittedly he can spray it too. Get him into an AFL environment though, and they'll iron that out. And with his combination of speed and that boot, he'll be a legitimate 100m player. Similarly, in the WAFL this year he kicked 20.37 - not great in terms of accuracy. But that was in 13 games, which is over 4 shots on goal a game. Even if he kicks at 50% accuracy, that's a huge contribution. If a club can harness his speed, exceptional leap, powerful boot and allround x-factor, then he could be absolutely anything.

Weaknesses

- Marking. This is the main concern over Marsh as a forward. He isn't a real threat in contested marking situations, despite his leap. Get him on the lead, and he'll create enough separation for an easy uncontested mark. But against a bigger and stronger opponent, he'll struggle. So far he has gotten around this through two ways - bringing the ball to ground and beating them that way, or alternatively getting to the back of the contest and trying to get the ball to come over the top. Because once he gets goal side of his opponent, it's all over. Against zone defenses and better opposition though, this wont be quite as easy.

- Rawness. Okay, so maybe it is a bit of a weakness too. He absolutely knows how to make his strengths work for him, but he still has a long way to go in any other areas. As I mentioned, his kicking needs work. As does his marking. He'll also need to harness his energy at times, and look up before setting off on one of his trademark runs.

Midfielder or Forward?

I'm not sure he will ever be considered one or the other. At his prime, you could argue over what Adam Goodes was. And I think the same arguments will be had over Marsh. What I see, is a team combining the roles and turning Marsh into a hybrid player - a key, midfield flanker. Play him as the third (or even fourth) tall forward, starting at around the CHF position but moving up as that extra midfielder. He'll create mismatches all day - tall defenders wont go with him, midfielders wont transition into defenders.

I really don't see him as being too far off either Bontempelli or Kolodjashnij when it comes to prospects at the next level. All three have similar question marks over position in my mind. And while the first two have the performances on the board, I'd give the points to Marsh for potential. Whatever happens, he'll be a fascinating player to watch.

Why Fremantle?

Possibly the biggest question, why would I take him over Cam McCarthy? Impact. I see McCarthy as being a 2-3 year project, and while we do need a tall forward for the future, it wont help much now. Whereas in the back half of 2014, I could see Marsh being a genuine option for the green vest. Bring him on in the fourth quarter, and let him run wild. Plus, he fits with our recent recruitment policy of size, speed and versatility. Imagine, being able to rotate the likes of Fyfe, Marsh, Sylvia and Morabito through the midfield and forward lines.

I will fill the need of a genuine KPP later on, at both ends of the ground, but for now I feel as though Marsh compliments what we already have - both up forward (Pavlich, Gumbleton, Mayne, Taberner) and in the midfield (Barlow, Mundy, Crowley).

The other three players in my shortlist of five, were Trent Dumont, Lewis Taylor and Isaiah Miller. But ultimately I couldn't go past the pure talent of Jonathon Marsh, particularly in what I consider to be a fairly shallow draft.

Also I spoke with one of my old teammates Rod Willett (a WAFL caller for local ABC). His words were to the effect of Bargain at a basement price. Rod thought he would go top 30.

You could almost attribute, word for word, the same strengths and weaknesses to a young Buddy Franklin. What does that mean? I'm not sure but I hope he's at least half right! Smile

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 am

I'll take a more explosive version of Adam Goodes.. thank you very Marsh.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Let's hope Bacchus lives up to his promise.

As long as he doesn't mellow.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm

magpieazza wrote:
I'm not a fan YET because his kicking and marking and tackling and defensive running are not up to scratch, so its waiting with interest for me.
You need to be a complete player.

Whilst I fully agree that you have to be a complete player these days to play AFL, I highly doubt that very few if any complete players are ever drafted in the national draft. They all need a bit of work, spit and polish done on them and Collingwood has the perfect off field set up to do this development stuff really well.
I'm highly optimistic, confident and convinced that they have got themselves a real beauty here and the proof will be in about 2 years time.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:41 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Let's hope Bacchus lives up to his promise.

As long as he doesn't mellow.

Razz Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: