Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood Jonathan Marsh

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm
Post subject: Welcome to Collingwood Jonathan MarshReply with quote

Welcome to Collingwood Jonathan Marsh Very Happy

He could be the absolute steal of the draft or he could turn out to be quite a poor player for the club who languishes in the reserves. It did seem surprising to many experts that he was picked so low in the draft considering most of them had him at around pick 20 to 35. He's got that x-factor and unpredictability about him. On his day he could potentially single-handedly win us a game if he's on song. I think it's fantastic that we've taken a risk on selecting Marsh. He could turn out to be an excellent player for the club and it looks like a good kick and he's got a strong set of hands. I think the reason why he was so low to start off with is due to his lack of endurance somewhat.

Anyway he's some footage of Jonathan Marsh earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Sj4mjyGw

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

According to sen this guy is something special
pablo 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Second fastest 20m sprint in draft combine history! An absolute athlete who can play footy, according to SEN!!

Well done Hine!!

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Kevin Sheehan said that surprised he lasted that long. Rated by some in top 20.

Hopefully he will be the steal of the draft.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

He looks like a freak!!!

No one could tackle him in that package!

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

^Fingers crossed. He must be something special for Hine to use the extra pick. I wonder if there will be another player delisted or we will take 39 seniors and one less rookie?
think better 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:24 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
He looks like a freak!!!

No one could tackle him in that package!

Liked his fend off in the tackles - seems to show a bit of mongrel

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jonathon-marsh/
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 pm

the phantom drafts seem to have had him in the 30s.

wow what a fantastic night

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

A quicker version of Goldsack?
think better 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
A quicker version of Goldsack?

I was thinking more like this http://www.geelongcats.com.au/player-profile/steve-johnson

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 pm

From one PlaceThatShallNotBeNamed commentator, who seemed to have a clue:

Quote:
Jonathon Marsh, East Fremantle, 191cm, 89kg

In a draft lacking key position players, Marsh could go very, very high. Despite having the size of a key forward, he has the athleticism and awareness of a midfielder. The East Fremantle stud has bucket loads of talent and x-factor and his ability to play in the midfield and up forward has scouts and recruiters gawking. As a forward, Marsh has a strong, sticky pair of hands which helps him in the air and on the lead. He also has a nice vertical leap which assists his aerial ability and makes him very dangerous inside 50. When he is up forward, his electrifying pace makes him incredibly difficult to match up against and he also has nice core strength. His kicking for goal could do with some improvement. At AFL level, it is likely that he will become a forward flanker or medium forward with stints in the midfield.

Rahul had Marsh going at 26.

Qigley, who has some odd opinions but a vast knowledge to base them on, had Marsh at 27 and said:
Quote:
Jonathon Marsh 17/10/95 193cm 89kg

Whenever anyone runs under 2.8 in the 20m that person gets a lot of attention but when that person also measured at 193cm and weighed 89kgs it is all the more impressive and noteworthy. This is not a little whippet but a powerful athlete who is actually not a terrible footballer. Teams are going to be looking very closely at him and thinking of ways that they could use his pace. I have heard Marsh talked up as a KPF in the Taylor Walker mode but any thought of that should be forgotten. Marsh is not a key position player. The player who he reminds me of a lot is Jack Watts who was also a tall who ran low 2.8s from memory at the Combine. Watts was a bit more slight and more polished but once he hit the AFL he has the same problem as Marsh is going to face - where do you play him?

Marsh is a very good all around athlete and he tested good to very good in the jumps and agility as well as excelling in the speed tests but he does have one very big hole in his armour and that is his endurance. He ran only mid 12s at Combine and that highlights the problem. In game situations he is very much a burst player at the moment and fades out of games too much. Personally I see him most suited as a winger at AFL level but he really does need to get his endurance up to an acceptable level and the question is whether he has in in him.

Up forward I have heard him described as soft by a WA guy I know but personally I do not see that. He seems willing enough to throw his body into contests. I think it is more that he doesn't handle bigger opponents well and tends to get overpowered. On those opponents he should be able to burn them off with his speed on the leads but he does not time his leads well or provide multiple leads that would free him up. He does not seem to have a natural feel for forward play. In marking contests his hands are below average and although he can go up strongly he spills the ball more often than not, especially with a bigger opponent on him. He really has tailored his game for these spillages though and he will recover quickly and gather the spillage and try and power away. Below the knee he is also not the cleanest and will fumble a bit.

Then there is his goal kicking. In the WAFL Colts this year he played 16 games and managed only 20 goals playing mostly as a forward. With those 20 goals came 39 behinds and that is pretty indicative of his kicking. He has a bit of an awkward set shot and he is 50/50 at best in those types of situations. I do not think he has particularly good goal sense either. Another issue for anyone thinking of taking him up forward is that he is fairly poor defensively and does not work both ways. He averaged less than a tackle per game in the WAFL Colts.

All of this leads me to believe he might be better up on the wing. His marking tends to be much better when he is matched up on smaller opposition. In those situations he has more area to work in and is more comfortable. He certainly would have a size advantage over most wingers he would match up on as well as a pace advantage. He loves to use his pace and tends to be a bit frenetic when he gets the ball, playing on quickly without really thinking or considering whether he should. He does not stop to assess what the options are, he just takes off and backs his pace to get him out of any uncomfortable situations. Think of the way Harbrow or Banfield play up the ground. He is quite strong through the hips and with his size, agility and pace he is a bit of a load to handle for most wingman.

His field kicking can be a bit hit and miss. He invariably goes long when he gets it and really needs to learn to lower his eyes and not just blaze away. I think quite a few of his issues could be addressed if he stopped trying to do everything at top pace. If he took an extra heartbeat to assess the situation, to pick out a target and even whether to run or not it would be a big benefit for his game. Taking that little bit of pace off would also allow him to balance a bit more and get his kicks going where they should. He does have good penetration on his kicks and with his pace he is a zone busting option.

The transition to the midfield will obviously be dependent on whether he can get his endurance up to an acceptable level. On this I do this it is positive that when he is in the game he is really involved and seems like a hard worker. If he is used to gut running, as his base endurance levels increase the ability to go through the pain barrier will help him get the most out of whatever level he achieves.

Another thing I like is that he seems to do the team things going forward. He will shepherd and block for his team mates and as a bigger bodied mid this would be very handy for springing the stars in his team. Marsh seems popular with his teammates and he celebrates others success and they celebrate his.

This kid is still very raw atm but he has the potential to be a real weapon if used correctly. In a relatively weak draft that gets him taken pretty highly I think. If your team picks him you are getting a cross between Jack Watts and Todd Banfield but what he ends up as is anyone’s guess.

How the F? did we steal this kid at 67? Hine, I had your Grundy coup at 18 down as massive luck, but this ain't luck, it's bloody miracles!

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome Jonathan Marsh Razz
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm

jeremy cameron mkII. here's hoping.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Seen as a potential third tall forward at 191cm and with great pace, which is something we're looking for.

Endurance is supposedly a weakness. And I guess, with him going so late, we see how important this has become in the modern game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: