Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's happening with Dayle Garlett?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laird 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
News Limited are saying Garlett is being (actively) looked at by Hawthorn.

Him and Cyril at the Dawks would be bloody hard to Defend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-eyes-exciting-west-australian-dayle-garlett/story-fni5f22o-1226751807813

Not to mention Bradley Hill, who I think is a little champ in the making.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 am

laird wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
News Limited are saying Garlett is being (actively) looked at by Hawthorn.

Him and Cyril at the Dawks would be bloody hard to Defend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-eyes-exciting-west-australian-dayle-garlett/story-fni5f22o-1226751807813

Not to mention Bradley Hill, who I think is a little champ in the making.

I agree Laird. He too is beauty.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Snoop Dog has stated that Collingwood had people working with Garlett during this season over in WA.

However with Garlett displaying more professional conduct off the field coupled with his on field displays we wont be in a position to draft him at pick 67 because he'll be long gone by then.

I seriously doubt we'd use pick 10 on him though he was rated top 10 on talent last season and if anything he's only enhanced that opinion this year.

Good chance 17 clubs will be kicking themselves in the years to follow that they didn't rookie list him in 2012 when they had the chance to grab a bargain.

P.S-Hypothetically could the club have rookie listed him last year, paid him his wage but got him to remain in WA and play in the WAFL with the promise of upgrading him to the senior list the following season if he ticked all of the boxes which he appears to have done?

I feel this would have been a good way to secure a talented player but isolate him from the rest of the playing group if you thought he might be a negative influence on some until he got his personal life sorted.

Pity the club didn't have the foresight to try something different like this.

roar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

If serious, the club could have made sure they had a second round pick left for him.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Snoop Dog has stated that Collingwood had people working with Garlett during this season over in WA.

However with Garlett displaying more professional conduct off the field coupled with his on field displays we wont be in a position to draft him at pick 67 because he'll be long gone by then.

I seriously doubt we'd use pick 10 on him though he was rated top 10 on talent last season and if anything he's only enhanced that opinion this year.

Good chance 17 clubs will be kicking themselves in the years to follow that they didn't rookie list him in 2012 when they had the chance to grab a bargain.

P.S-Hypothetically could the club have rookie listed him last year, paid him his wage but got him to remain in WA and play in the WAFL with the promise of upgrading him to the senior list the following season if he ticked all of the boxes which he appears to have done?

I feel this would have been a good way to secure a talented player but isolate him from the rest of the playing group if you thought he might be a negative influence on some until he got his personal life sorted.

We must hope he get's to pick 67 as I doubt we would pick him at 6 or 10

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:20 pm

If he was taken at 10, he would need to have elite endurance and be able to move into the midfield as he enters his prime.
Rexy17 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 pm

If he is taken at pick 10 its time for Mr Hine to hang up his pencil. Not worth the risk with his history, Let some other club deal with his issues.
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Hmmm, a Lennon/Aish, Garlett, Adams, White and Karnezis collect sounds pretty damn good to me. All ready to roll pretty much.

Of course, would be better if Garlett drifted to 67, but won't happen. I'd be inclined to swoop. 40-70 goals a year player possibly straight up.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

swoop42 wrote:

I was suggesting pretty much the same thing this time last year. Ah well. Guess we can just hope the people at the club know what they're doing.

Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Conversely, Bucks is building a culture where the character of the bulk of the squad creates an environment that is capable of turning around YOUNG guns who have behavioural issues. Not having a culture that is so brittle, the leaders are under the influence of the odd upstart dickhead.

Rubbing shoulders with the best of the best!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:37 am

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dayle-garlett-says-hes-matured-and-ready-for-an-afl-listing-most-likely-with-hawthorn-but-will-one-come-at-thursdays-draft/story-fnelctok-1226761699401

Looks almost worth Pick 10, almost. Really wish we had another around 20 to grab him. Oh well.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 am

such a modest young man

Quote:
"I think the boys would love the footy in my hands. I've got great execution and I'm pretty good under pressure. My main things would be good skills and speed and good use of the football and awareness.''

If he's as good as he says I'd take him at 10!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am

Rexy17 wrote:
If he is taken at pick 10 its time for Mr Hine to hang up his pencil. Not worth the risk with his history, Let some other club deal with his issues.

This.

Why would anybody think pick 10 was a good choice for a guy rated in the top 10 last year, whilst all 18 clubs completely ignored him. He must have absolutely huge issues if nobody was willing to take a punt. With so many guns in this year's top 10 why would you risk a ticking time bomb anyway? We can take Lennon/Salem/Bontempelli with 10 this year.

Bucks has spent the spring building his team and his culture. He certainly won't even consider this bloke. No.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 am

Bucks has been getting rid of old stagers who wouldn't buy in to the program. Dale Thomas was acting like a kid whose mum had a new boyfriend "You're not my dad Bucks" and Heater was being a goose and knew he needed to go somewhere else to stop being a goose.

I'd back in Buckley, Burns, Harvey and the systems we have at Collingwood to turn around a bloke like this. This years draft is the most compromised of all of them (mini drafts etc), so if he's the best available at 10 then he should be taken. I'm sure people at the club have been watching him like a hawk and would know if the leopard changed its spots or if Dayle is just hiding his true nature to get picked up. The kid had dodgy mates and made bad decisions, then got a kick up the arse when he didn't get drafted, who are we to say he hasn't turned it around?

We've turned around our fair share of dickheads over the journey.
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

The more I think about it, the more I'm with you on this Wokko. The "systems" etc and conditions one would be coming in on at the club are strict and expectations are set in place right from the word go. If he meets the criteria (whatever that may be), then he's worth the punt. After all, we've had the likes of Millane, Banks, Didak, Swan, Shaw who haven't been model citizens. Funnily enough they're all premiership players.

Who knows who we'll pick up, but the fact is they should be two pretty damn talented kids. But the thought of a Goddard-like Scharenberg, with serious talent and versatility dominating games, along with Garlett kick 40-50 as a speedster excitement machine in a forward pocket running through the midfield ... well, you get my drift.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: