Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Libs: How many lies & backflips?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
Are they the Lie-berals or the Fib-erals?
Same diff, take your pick.

Juliar was a lieberal by nature if not by party.

(So confusing that our liberal politics is represented by the Labor party and our conservative party are the Liberals.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Libs: How many lies & backflips?Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Given the sheer volume of changes, lies & backflips we've already had, we need to keep a list indeed a record of Lib lies & lib deceit:

Feel free to add:

1. Turn the boats back. Not happening. (never was going to happen)

I know I shouldn't, but WTF. I'll come back to the rest later.

Seriously? You call this a lie? He's been in office for less than 3 months and hasn't been able to do it in that timeframe. Wow, massive lie. How bout judging performance on this one when he's had 6 years to **** it up completely like Krudd/Jules/Krudd did, and not confusing "lies" with failed efforts to deliver.

eg, Jules saying no carbon tax under her government could and has been seen to be a lie, but was meant at the time but she failed to be able to deliver because of circumstances.

hawke, no child shall live in poverty by 1990. Failed promise, not a lie.

Lets not adjust the stand on party lines, I'd prefer to hold them all to the same standard so judging in retrospect is made easier.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Spot on, Stui. We need to be very clear here: a lie is a deliberate untruth intended to mislead from the start.

Gillard sort-of broke a sort-of promise, no more than that. She promised a price on carbon, not in the form of a tax, and the only way she could deliver that promise was with the tax deal she negotiated with the cross-benchers. Not a lie. Not even close. (But Abbott and co unquestionably lied when they called Gillard a liar, knowing full well that she wasn't.)

Stop the boats was not an is not a lie. It's a promise, and if Abbott fails to deliver on it, it's a broken promise, not a lie. Completely different things.

The no child will live in poverty by 1990 promise is borderline. Stui generously regards it as a broken promise. Fair enough. I see that particular promise as such a stupid and unattainable one that even an egomanic like Hawke must have known it was beyond his power to deliver. Well, probably. So I count it as a lie, but your view may differ.

So not guilty on the boats "lie", WPT. But make no mistake, the lies told by Abbott and his creeps are many and varied and repeated and deliberate, and they should indeed be listed here and exposed for what they are. Start with their massive and sustained lie about the budget "crisis", which they haven't even bothered to pretend to believe now that the lie has gained them government.

While on matters financial, throw in the absurd lie told by Hockey last week and repeated several times where he (a) threatened to bring the country to its knees by shutting down the government (i.e., Hockey threatened to do the Tea Party thing), and then (b) lied himself crooked saying that the opposition was doing the Tea Party destructive thing, knowing full well that the opposition had offered him a massive and immediate $100 billion increase in the debt limit - enough extra debt to allow the government to carry on exactly as planned in the existing Gillard-Swan budget for three more years.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Tannin wrote:
Spot on, Stui. We need to be very clear here: a lie is a deliberate untruth intended to mislead from the start.

Gillard sort-of broke a sort-of promise, no more than that. She promised a price on carbon, not in the form of a tax, and the only way she could deliver that promise was with the tax deal she negotiated with the cross-benchers. Not a lie. Not even close. (But Abbott and co unquestionably lied when they called Gillard a liar, knowing full well that she wasn't.)

Stop the boats was not an is not a lie. It's a promise, and if Abbott fails to deliver on it, it's a broken promise, not a lie. Completely different things.

The no child will live in poverty by 1990 promise is borderline. Stui generously regards it as a broken promise. Fair enough. I see that particular promise as such a stupid and unattainable one that even an egomanic like Hawke must have known it was beyond his power to deliver. Well, probably. So I count it as a lie, but your view may differ.

So not guilty on the boats "lie", WPT. But make no mistake, the lies told by Abbott and his creeps are many and varied and repeated and deliberate, and they should indeed be listed here and exposed for what they are. Start with their massive and sustained lie about the budget "crisis", which they haven't even bothered to pretend to believe now that the lie has gained them government.

While on matters financial, throw in the absurd lie told by Hockey last week and repeated several times where he (a) threatened to bring the country to its knees by shutting down the government (i.e., Hockey threatened to do the Tea Party thing), and then (b) lied himself crooked saying that the opposition was doing the Tea Party destructive thing, knowing full well that the opposition had offered him a massive and immediate $100 billion increase in the debt limit - enough extra debt to allow the government to carry on exactly as planned in the existing Gillard-Swan budget for three more years.

And the most recent lie.

"The announcement yesterday by Tony Abbott and education spokesman Christopher Pyne of a "unity ticket" on school funding with Kevin Rudd overturns their previous policy positions on Labor's funding reforms. Since the release of the Gonski report last year, the Coalition has been opposed to the new funding model. Last week, the Opposition Leader said an Abbott government would keep it for one year." (August 3, 2013)

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/coalition-joins-labors-gonski-unity-ticket/story-fn59niix-1226690519042#sthash.m7UDbSEV.dpuf]

So after pretending to support Gonski during the elections so as to neutralise one of the few Labor policies that was more popular than theirs, that monstrous little Hird (rhyming slang) Pyne turns round and tells us that he is going to implement the Liberal's original (unpopular) policy.

How is this different from Julia's "lie" on carbon tax. I'll tell you how it is different. Julia intended to avoid a carbon tax until the realities of minority government and negotiations with Brown, Wilkie and Windsor left her no alternative. Pyne and Abbott never intended to implement Gonski, they just lied to fool a gullible electorate.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Education:

Dr Pie wrote:
Pyne and Abbott never intended to implement Gonski, they just lied

^ Nailed it in only 10 words. (Eleven if you count "Pyne".)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 am

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Given the sheer volume of changes, lies & backflips we've already had, we need to keep a list indeed a record of Lib lies & lib deceit:

Feel free to add:

1. Turn the boats back. Not happening. (never was going to happen)

I know I shouldn't, but WTF. I'll come back to the rest later.

Seriously? You call this a lie? He's been in office for less than 3 months and hasn't been able to do it in that timeframe. Wow, massive lie. ...........

The deceit here is the whole baloney about turning the boats back. This symbolism featured large as part of Lib propaganda before the election. As was their policy of buying all the boats in Indonesia & all the histrionics by the Libs about this issue. How is the boat buying going BTW. Lies through omission Stui? The lie was it was never going to happen.

How the f*ck have they behaved in their 10 weeks now & their time before this issue? Their use of language about asylum seekers being illegal just should make all of us feel ashamed of our government.

This is nasty political opportunism - trying to make political advantage over the the poor wretched unfortunates attempting to legally seek asylum. Simply appalling behaviour.

To be clear, this thread is not Rudd & Prime Minister Gillard.

This thread is about holding the Mad Misogynist Miners Monk accountable to the already seen lies, deceits, hypocrisy, backflips & distortions.

The whole point is the fact that they've only been in power such a short time & they're already culpable for so many lies, backflips & distortions. Like St Kilda they keep on giving - try one Christopher Pine

The whole notion of "turning the boats back" is a fraud of a concept, a symbol that harks back to John Howard days & he relied on exploiting the Pauline Hanson factor - appropriating her policies then calling her an extremist. Rolling Eyes

More than happy to see how the Mad Misogynist Monk fares in his term and I will continue to hold him accountable for the words he uttered, his subsequent actions be they 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.

The only boat that has been turned back was an Australian Navy Vessel by the Indons . Razz Wink

Mind you we have scant detail because our elected Government refuses to be open & refuses to be straight with the Australian public.

Are you proud of our Governments policies of not allowing an asylum seeker mother to see her newborn in neonatal intensive care? It's all part of the new regime. Lies & distortions. All part of the same thing.

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am

The whole 'boats' issue is a pile of shit to be honest, but not for the reasons generally reported. Remember Pauline? She rode a huge wave of anti-immigration. People in the electorate (lets not judge here) overwhelming didn't want multiculturalism and this issue was threatening to split the conservative vote or even create a viable 3rd party.

Rather than adopt One Nation policy to diffuse the issue, the Liberals had other plans. They can't severely limit immigration, their masters at the top end of town want cheap labour, so they conjure up the terror of the boat person. Never mind that overwhelmingly immigration is by plane and that numbers went UP under Howard, the slice of the electorate opposed to it was firmly back in the Liberal camp and One Nation faded away.

So these days we only hear about boat arrivals. You still hear the rumblings about demographic shifts but it's always pointed at refugees and largely boat arrivals. The whole issue is a cooked up 'problem' to keep the One Nation (or whoever would take their place) vote firmly entrenched for the Lib/Nats. Keep in mind at one point they had 1/3 of the QLD vote and 1/5 of NSW.

Not arguing for or against immigration of multiculturalism here, that's another thread, but the issue itself was a cooked up anti One Nation scheme that just keeps on giving for the LibNats.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 am

Yes, I can hear you quite clearly, Wokko.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:08 am

Wokko wrote:
The whole 'boats' issue is a pile of shit to be honest.
The whole issue is a cooked up 'problem' to keep the One Nation (or whoever would take their place) vote firmly entrenched for the Lib/Nats. Keep in mind at one point they had 1/3 of the QLD vote and 1/5 of NSW.

Not arguing for or against immigration of multiculturalism here, that's another thread, but the issue itself was a cooked up anti One Nation scheme that just keeps on giving for the LibNats.

They (1 Notion) hasn't had more than 1% of the vote since 2005. Confused
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:10 am

watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Quote:
6. Misogynist & sexist while in opposition & well I suppose not too much has changed here

6. Nonsense, don't fall for that feminist bullshit. If Abbott is a misogynist then Gillard + Labor's women were equally misandrist. Nobody bought what they were selling then, stop trying to onsell it now if you happened to get sucked in.

Yeah, right, duh .....

So how many women did you say there were in Abbott's cabinet again?

Never have we seen such unmistakable and unambiguous evidence of no progress whatsoever. Get back into the kitchen you sluts, Mr Abbott needs your domestic services in the proper place. Cabinet is reserved for proper men, no girls allowed.

Wokko & David do have a bit in common: a surprisingly disproportionate reaction to feminism. Is this a pattern? Same age cohort?

Wink Shocked

Not sure how you could call my reaction(s?) disproportionate. I'm strongly in favour of equality and strongly against fundamentalism. That's all.

I also don't share Wokko's view that claims regarding Abbott's misogyny are 'feminist bullshit', though I do think that they have been somewhat overstated.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:16 am

3.14159 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
The whole 'boats' issue is a pile of shit to be honest.
The whole issue is a cooked up 'problem' to keep the One Nation (or whoever would take their place) vote firmly entrenched for the Lib/Nats. Keep in mind at one point they had 1/3 of the QLD vote and 1/5 of NSW.

They (1 Notion) hasn't had more than 1% of the vote since 2005. Confused

I think Wokko has a good point, though. He's not talking literally about a rusted-on One Nation (a party that, honestly, came and went pretty quickly) vote, more a certain virulent anti-immigrant demographic (the 'f off we're full' bumper sticker types) that the Coalition are now sheltering amongst their voting blocs.

Whether or not that is a deliberate and tactical courting, I'm not sure, but Wokko certainly makes a thought-provoking case for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Being that we are a democracy if the majority feel those stickers are correct shouldn't that be Federal Government Policy.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm

I don't know anyone named that we are a democracy if the majority feel those stickers are correct shouldn't that be Federal Government Policy.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

I think it was Keating who said:

The ALP are builders & the Libs are wreckers.

1. Allow me to introduce one Christopher Pyne. We finally get a fairer national scheme where education (at least school) education was going to get some much needed funding (Australia is a poor funder of education relative to other developed countries), where the right to a decent education does not rely on parental income

2. When Medicare was first introduced one John Howard was trying to get rid of it at all costs. The Libs have proven to debase the funding levels of medicare.

3. Super. Introduced by the ALP - who was opposed to it at the time - the Libs. Who has led the biggest abuses at taxpayers expenses the Libs - Costello allowed millionaires to abuse it my making it a legal tax dodge.

Keating got it right.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 pm

watt price tully wrote:
I think it was Keating who said:

The ALP are builders & the Libs are wreckers.

1. Allow me to introduce one Christopher Pyne. We finally get a fairer national scheme where education (at least school) education was going to get some much needed funding (Australia is a poor funder of education relative to other developed countries), where the right to a decent education does not rely on parental income

2. When Medicare was first introduced one John Howard was trying to get rid of it at all costs. The Libs have proven to debase the funding levels of medicare.

3. Super. Introduced by the ALP - who was opposed to it at the time - the Libs. Who has led the biggest abuses at taxpayers expenses the Libs - Costello allowed millionaires to abuse it my making it a legal tax dodge.

Keating got it right.

It's a cycle, Labor/Left spends money on infrastructure and the money runs out, then Conservatives come in, stabilize the economy then don't know what to do with it, people then vote the left back in. Trouble is you now have Liberals throwing money around (paid parental leave) and Labor not really building anything of note while claiming to be good managers. It's a race to the middle, and in the middle nothing gets done except pork barrelling and tinkering at the edges of policy.

It's been said that democracy falls once the electorate realises they can vote themselves largesse from the public purse. We're heading dangerously close to that kind of territory now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: