Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bill Shorten

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:02 am
Post subject: Bill ShortenReply with quote

Just watching Bill Shorten give an interview on Insiders this morning. I've never been much of a fan, but my god, he's even worse than I thought. Looks like a wax dummy, talks like a robot, and seems to have no capacity to answer questions beyond bleating talking points.

Is this really our next prime minister? How have things gotten so bad?

Don't get me wrong: I desperately hope Labor win the next election, and that Shorten undoes all the damage wrought by the Abbott government, as well as pushing through a few obvious things like same-sex marriage and some kind of climate change policy. But what else does he actually stand for? Merely opposing extremist madness doesn't exactly constitute a political vision. At the moment, Shorten makes me nostalgic for Kevin Rudd, and that's saying something.

What does everyone else think? Could Shorten pleasantly surprise us? Or are we doomed to another cycle of unimaginative governments?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting .....

1061 wrote:
The ALP are going to need a Hayden/Hawke type overthrow, I just don't think Shorten is electable as a PM.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am

Would you like to know more?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 am

1061 wrote:
Interesting .....

1061 wrote:
The ALP are going to need a Hayden/Hawke type overthrow, I just don't think Shorten is electable as a PM.

I hope you're right, but I don't think that's the case. Tony Abbott has shown that pretty much anyone is electable. Besides, why would Labor replace a leader when they're 57%-43% in the polls? I can only hope that a Turnbull (or, more likely, Bishop) coup gives Labor a kick up the arse.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:24 am

Shorten hasn't done anything wrong so far.

There seems to be an unwarranted shrill reaction to him. Shorten is there to win & he is doing nicely thank you very much.

There is no reason now for him to detail any policies. It would be naive to do so.

All of the media focus is on the Liberal dysfunction in Australia currently. Shorten continues to place the spotlight firmly on the own goal kickers in the Libs.

He doesn't need to do more at this point in time.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:28 am

^^ The LNP are imploding, there is no need for Shorten to do anything. Same as Rudd/Gillard.
HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:31 am

Yes, it is much the same.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:41 am

watt price tully wrote:

There seems to be an unwarranted shrill reaction to him. Shorten is there to win & he is doing nicely thank you very much.

Shorten hasn't done anything. Only a fool would attribute the current opinion polls to his success as an opposition leader; it's almost entirely down to the actions of Abbott and his looney bin frontbench. Obviously it's helped that the government's policies have been blocked in the senate, but it doesn't take a political genius to say "no" to everything. Anyway, the Palmer United Party deserve just as much credit for the government's frustrations. Vote 1 Clive. Rolling Eyes

Shorten can't just coast along forever. It's not just about policy (though I don't have high hopes on that front); he has to actually present a compelling alternative to the status quo. If he just delivers more of what was served up in 2007-2013, he'll have a similarly short stint in office before the next populist coalition wingnut comes along. And our country will continue to stagnate.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to actually see some inspired, progressive leadership in Australia before I die.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Abbott hasn't done anything wrong so far.

There seems to be an unwarranted shrill reaction to him. Abbott is there to win & he is doing nicely thank you very much.

There is no reason now for him to detail any policies. It would be naive to do so.

All of the media focus is on the Labor dysfunction in Australia currently. Abbott continues to place the spotlight firmly on the own goal kickers in the Labs.

Sound familiar? Laughing

Lets not go down this path again.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:35 pm

^^Amazing Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Abbott hasn't done anything wrong so far.

There seems to be an unwarranted shrill reaction to him. Abbott is there to win & he is doing nicely thank you very much.

All of the media focus is on the Labor dysfunction in Australia currently. Abbott continues to place the spotlight firmly on the own goal kickers in the Labs.

Sound familiar? Laughing

Lets not go down this path again.

Nice try. You overlook a lot. Can you see an organised miner funded hate campaign of the type & style aimed at Prime Minister Gillard? now you might want glib responses but we are half way through the cycle.

HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm not sure if I can see an organised miner funded hate campaign of the type style aimed at Prime Minister Gillard or not.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Shorten hasn't done anything. Only a fool would attribute the current opinion polls to his success as an opposition leader; it's almost entirely down to the actions of Abbott and his looney bin frontbench. Obviously it's helped that the government's policies have been blocked in the senate, but it doesn't take a political genius to say "no" to everything. Anyway, the Palmer United Party deserve just as much credit for the government's frustrations. Vote 1 Clive. Rolling Eyes

Shorten can't just coast along forever. It's not just about policy (though I don't have high hopes on that front); he has to actually present a compelling alternative to the status quo. If he just delivers more of what was served up in 2007-2013, he'll have a similarly short stint in office before the next populist coalition wingnut comes along. And our country will continue to stagnate.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to actually see some inspired, progressive leadership in Australia before I die.

As noted to Wokko, we are half way though an election cycle. It would be political suicide to announce detailed policies now, indeed it would be the height of stupidity. None of this makes Shorten a poor pollie or leader. I for one Am glad he has opposed the draconian budget measures that unfairly hit the poor & workers, labours traditional base.

Posted via iPhone - apologies if not too clear

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Shorten does not have to do anything. Liberal are Stuffed?

Have you thought of Coming a Polliie Dave?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:54 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Maybe you'll see it from Shorten once he's PM but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think he is capable of more than what he's showing, but I don't know how much more. At the moment he rightfully is focused on playing small target while the Libs do all his work for him. Trot out the sound bytes, don't do or say anything that could be in the slightest controversial, keep focusing the attention back on the Lib car crash, and wait.

Abbott had the Miners up his sleeve to stir up public sentiment against Labor, Labor has the ACTU waiting in the wings to unleash their "work choices Mk II" scare campaign against the Libs when it's required.

Shorten is just playing the same game that worked for Abbott .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: