Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN & FTA's: The Coalition is lying to the public again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now an independent review of Australia's headlong rush in to FTA's puts the Liberal party spin into perspective. How much are we really paying pay for negligible gain?

You're just going to have to trust us says my local member Andrew Robb when they first got into government (pr*ck)

The net result is negligible says an independent review of the FTA's.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/transpacific-partnership-will-barely-benefit-australia-says-world-bank-report-20160111-gm3g9w.html

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 pm

I be lucky to get the NBN this Decade
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:16 am

Dave The Man wrote:
I be lucky to get the NBN this Decade

Funny you should say that DTM:

Turnbull's faster cheaper NBN roll out stumbles:

By the company's own assessment, the giant infrastructure project has fallen two-thirds short of its benchmark construction timetable. Connection costs to each house or business are also blowing out. The model had been marketed to voters as superior to Labor's NBN because it was "Fast. Affordable. Sooner".

Oh dear, it seems nothing is going right for Tony in the top hat

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/nbn-malcolm-turnbulls-faster-cheaper-rollout-falters-20160228-gn5l0s.html

partypie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Friends who live in non urban areas who couldn't even get dial up are getting fixed wireless nbn at long last so at least someone is benefitting.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:40 pm

It's hard to stay friends for a long time.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 pm

A government mandated monopoly is inefficient and over budget!? *gasp*
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Wokko wrote:
A government mandated monopoly is inefficient and over budget!? *gasp*

Oi; this has been explained to you repeatedly. There's no choice here, so the failure is with the managing government.

Remember, it's a natural monopoly infrastructure situation, so by preference you get:

• 1. Competitive market

IMPOSSIBLE in a natural monopoly economic scenario by definition

• 2. Government monopoly

Ironically the best choice under conditions of natural monopoly

• 3. Corporate monopoly

Ends up being a LQ, backward, service- and maintenance-avoiding, intransparent, national bottleneck like Telstra

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:38 am

Let's be honest and impartial.

The Labor plan might have been superior but it would have had the same cost blowouts and time delays.

Probably worse due to the increased magnitude of it.

Besides since when do any government projects come in on budget and time?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:27 am

I suspect you're right; but then, a bit ironic given that one of the perks of this (clearly inferior) scheme was supposed to be its faster roll-out schedule. Just another epic fail from this government.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 am

The myth of natural monopoly:

https://mises.org/library/myth-natural-monopoly
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:19 am

^When I was a kid I too searched the tracts to defend my evangelical Christian views. Then, one day I started learning to learn because I loved learning more than defending my received model.

Instead of dismissing your approach, let me makes some notes here.

Something I think you don't get is that the only "first principle" in economics is some vague notion of behavioural "drive", which is in turn steered by a principle derived from that, behavioural "incentive".

"Drive" is a very plastic creature in cognitive science, which is why we are forever warned that even apparently fundamental drives can manifest themselves in completely opposite-looking behaviours (see Sapolsky's Stanford lecture series on YouTube as it's probably his central themes).

It's no surprise that the self-enrichment incentive will lead a fat post-government entity like Telstra to ham up the natural monopoly market. Agreed, completely!

Or, in contrast, the self-enrichment incentive may lead a waste disposal company in the suburbs of Dublin to claim there are no natural monopoly effects in rubbish collection, even if there are.

(The Beloved One sees yet another brand of rubbish bag on the nature strip: "So, are you saying all these companies drive up and down this street, collecting rubbish on different days, in different bag sizes and at different costs, and distribute their bags through different shops?!")

Okay, so let's not care about the propaganda of different interest groups one way or the other when trying to understand this.

Now, when your article tries to move beyond that to find something more solid to go on - a first principle or such - it flips from that hot air, to prima facie behaviours. But, in science, both of these are useless.

Does anyone think your article's noting of the existence of multiple competitors in whatever place, at whatever time, helps us much here? No; of course not! For all we know they lost money, or provided a completely shite service, or held back better technology. That stuff is about as rigorous as fable in a church sermon.

For a start, at the extremes, everyone knows Seoul and Perth, say, have very different infrastructure variables at work. And density is just one variable. One single variable. What happens when we start adding the other variables at play in each case?

The term "natural monopoly" refers to a modeling logic, like almost everything in economics, including supply and demand. No one thinks these things "exist" as actual entities in the world; they're rough reasoning logics which apply to various degrees in various situations.

The same applies to "monopolies", "cartels", "predatory pricing", "dumping", and such; these are not actual entities in the world, and neither are they first principles the world operates by. They're agreed terminology to capture something we think we're seeing. (This complexity is one reason it takes so long for anti-competition complaints to be studied and assessed - see MS and Google in Europe, for example, which more a "negotiation" than a hard factual "determination").

When we refer to a "natural monopoly" situation, we're referring to a situation which reflects a counter-intuitive scenario whereby the effect of more competitors actually worsens outcomes. And we're making this claim in a specific context contingent on other variables, such as Australia the national whole, with all its contingencies, such as geography.

In the case of the NBN, the use of the term "natural monopoly" gets even more interesting. The specific claim her is that the outcome of a single [i]private
monopoly is worse than the outcome of a single government monopoly. There are no laws anywhere for assessing that; it requires comprehensive local and technical know-how to resolve.

E.g., Australians know full well that the country's population density is ridiculously low, so we know that truly private companies in a truly private market won't provide decent service at a decent consistency on a decent timeline to rural areas.

Now, some countries may not care about that. They may even want to push people into urban areas. But the Australian assumption is that rural areas a vital part of the culture, as well as being vital income-generating centres. So, that contingency matters.

Or, technically, we know broadband is a technology with compatibility dependencies; it needs people to move roughly in tandem at similar qualities to be effective. Or, we know a lot of people struggle with the complexities of technology and communications pricing plans, so introducing a new set of those is not going to give us "rational" consumer decisions at all. Or, we know politics only throws up one chance every decade or two to do something major in infrastructure, so we know we have to pile on when that one opportunity arrives. Or, we know the physics of optical fibre has a long future ahead as a core transmission medium, so this is a great strategic investment that will blow top-line expectations out of the water. Or, we know competitors elsewhere in the world are moving to provide x infrastructure, so to integrate with the global game more competitively, we have to keep up with the Kims, Johanssons and Patels.

These are some of the main contingencies, or variables, smart people bring to the problem, and they're way beyond the scope of a silly whip around of American public utilities history as one finds in that article.

We have to rely on much more than a bit of history and a few local examples on the one hand, while we can't run hard science calculations on the other. This leaves us to piece together our own defensible framework; not a perfect one, but a relatively better one, or the best one around.

The key point in economics terms is this: There are not many stable social science "laws" at a useful scale. As noted, cognitive drives and situational incentives manifest themselves in all kinds of ways.

The fact is, you already know far more about this particular Australian natural monopoly scenario than the bloody Mises Institute. You haven't felled a domino called "natural monopoly". You haven't even tried to understand the problem.

The practical reality is that Turnbull blew the one shot the country had to secure a competitive, HQ communications infrastructure.

The Glib "solution" was a bit like Abbott "solving" boat arrivals by shooting people, err, I mean towing them away. Well, we could also "solve" the broadband problem by providing shite, sub-par service to those outside the CBD or ignoring rural areas.

Instead, Mal should have seen beyond his market indoctrination and embraced the reality of natural monopoly effects which beset most of Australia in this area, taking the one shot the country had to do the whole thing properly, once and for all.

Let's hope he corrects it.

Edits: Simplified and cleaned up a bit!

Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:15 am

LOL, now the bastards are trying to claim price reductions *the full and proper and serious FTTP plan anticipated but were scoffed at* as their own. Even worse, they're delaying realising them for customers to justify their original BS arguments and not look like the technology c$%#ckblockers they are.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/nbn-trials-cheaper-allfibre-option-20160302-gn8cj3.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Interesting challenge to the anti-Turnbull NBN narrative from Crikey, of all places. I don't know a lot about this issue, but will be interested to see what others make of it:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/04/07/waleed-aly-didnt-nail-it-on-the-nbn/

Quote:
Waleed Aly didnt nail it on theNBN
Josh Taylor

We are all for his nomination for a Gold Logie, and his segments often do nail it, as his online fan base often puts it, but there were many things wrong with Waleed Alys attempt to take on the NBN.

In asegment titled Whos to blame forthe NBN" on The Projectlast night, Aly took on the complex, political football issue of the National Broadband Network and laid blame squarely at the feet of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Heres what he got right:

The NBN is not being delivered anywhere near as fast as the Coalition promised prior to the 2013 election, and it costs much more than was promised. Almost three years ago, on April 9, 2013, Turnbull and then-prime minister Tony Abbott announced that all Australians would have access to 25Mbps by the end of 2016. This promise was quickly broken when they got into government and realised it wasnt as simple as flicking a switch and asking Telstra nicely to hand over itscopper and cable networks. Although government equity remains the same (at $29.5 billion), the cost to build the network is now estimated to be up to $56 billion, and it wont be finished until 2020.

Infrastructure projects are built with the future in mind.Quoting one of the men behind AARNet  one of the early forms of the internet in Australia  Aly said that if we wereto be theinnovation nation Turnbull wanted us to be, we should be going for a full fibre-to-the-premises network. Its definitely the way to nation-build and have a future-proof network. The difficulty in this lies in the politicisation of the project. Labor mostly abandoned the argument that the NBN was nation-building when the Coalition began mounting a campaign about the cost of it and the delays it was facing. It instead became about a network that could be built on time (but wasnt at the time) and within budget (but wasnt at the time). Turnbull saw an opening to argue that delivering users upgraded speeds is better, so he is to blame that the NBN became a politicised issue  but Labor certainly didnt help with the wayit sold the network when in government.

Turnbull most definitely didnt virtually invent the internet in Australia.

Heres what he got wrong:

Alyonly focused on fibre-to-the-node. This will be a large component of the network, but not the only one. Theres also fibre to the basement (which takes the fibre into the basement of an apartment block or building to use the existing copper in the building), cable, and FttDP (or fibre to the driveway, which is what Labor will likely mandate across the board). AsCrikeyreported last month, NBN is using a mix of technologies depending on what is most cost-effective.

He claimed FttN speeds were a maximum of between 25Mbps and 50Mbps. The average speed being achieved on FttN connections on the NBN today (excluding fibre to the basement) is 76Mbps. This is without vectoring and other potential advances in the future that could take it closer to 100Mbps.NBN can offer up to 1Gbps on FttP now, but very few people are actually ordering that service. (Although that could change in the future, depending on demand.)

Comparing the estimated cost of the NBN under Labors modelling with the Coalitions estimate is not useful. Aly did briefly mention that the Coalitions estimation of the fibre NBN is much higher, but the broad comparison claimed that Labors NBN would cost $45 billion and be completed in 2021. NBNs modelling under the Coalition (which is contested by former CEO Mike Quigley) claims that to down tools and return to Labors version of the NBN would cost $73 billion and take until as far out as 2028. This is contested, but based on NBN Cos continual delay and cost blowouts under the former government, neither figure can really be completely trusted.

By turning the NBN into a political football, Aly claimed, Australia had slipped from 30th to 60th place in global rankings on internet speeds. But asEl Regs Simon Sharwood points out, we have dropped down the rankings behind other countries that have been deploying fibre to the node, such as the United Kingdom, while at the same time for the majority of the Abbott-Turnbull government, NBN has mostly continued to roll out fibre-to-the-premises. The number of houses able to order FttP connections stands at 1.5 million, while the number of FttN connections stands at 303,000. The Australian Bureau of Statisticsreported this weekthat between December 2014 and December 2015, the number of Australians accessing the internet by fibre to the premises actually almost doubled from 324,000 to 645,000.

As I have written before, Akamais rankings are used by both sides of politics to make claims about what the other side should be doing, but they arent actually that useful a metric. If, at the end of the rollout of the Coalitions NBN  should the party get a second term  Australia continues to slide down the rankings or fail to move up, that would be Turnbulls fault, but at the moment it is far too early to blame the NBN when most of the NBN is still fibre to the premises.

Aly blamed the time it takes for videos to buffer on Turnbulls NBN policy. This is wrong for many reasons. Firstly, the entirety of the NBN is just one small componentof the internet, and there are a number of reasons why a video might buffer. The server might be overseas, meaning the informationhas to travel down subsea cables that can, and often do, have connectivity issues, the customers ISP might not have secured enough bandwidth to allow that user to stream video while all itsother customers are also streaming video, or it might be a dodgy wi-fi network in the house. There are so many factors that determine whether a video will stream live that blaming one component of the network for it is silly.

The problem with this debate in an election year is that while Labor continues to use the Akamai rankings and leaks to claim the NBN is going down the wrong path, the party is not promising a return to its nation-building fibre-to-the-premises policy after the election.

We could be less than three months from an election, and we have yet to see Labors NBN policy announcement, aside from simply stating more fibre. The partys communications spokesperson, Jason Clare, has indicated that Labor would likely adopt FttDP (which brings fibre right up to a persons driveway and uses the existing copper line to their house). This is technology NBN is already looking at bringing in, but is at very early stages. Labor appears to be making the most out of leaks from NBN and issues with the copper to get political mileage on Turnbull, but its likely the oppositions ownpolicy will also be to use copper in their NBN  just a tiny bit less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: