Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dustin Martin 'jailhouse' salute

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have different standards we live by, how dare any of us impose our standards on another human being. Who do we think we are?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Symbols have meanings, and the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

People in jail have done something violent to their society and violated the rights of at least one other human being. This gesture will glamorize being in jail for many kids who do not have the maturity to interpret it correctly. I don't want football to glamorise crime, violence and penal servitude for our children. As someone said, if you want to support a friend in jail, good on you ; so you should. Write them a letter, visit, or even protest of you think they were not guilty. But don't make it seem cool or respectable to be in jail.

Good call, AFL.

I have to say I really dislike this view that children's minds are like sieves, vulnerable to every little bit of information that comes their way. If we're that worried about glamorising crime—as if this gesture even does that!—we'd do better banning gangster films and TV shows, which surely have a far more meaningful effect on their psyches. I mean, hell, even kids films like Robin Hood 'glamorise' crime to some extent.

Of course, it's not as simple as even that. If you accept that something as small as this can have an effect on a child's psyche (and let's keep in mind that they wouldn't have even known what it meant unless the media had chosen to make such a big deal of it), then you have to accept that every other little input that comes along will have an effect, such as the views of parents, siblings, teachers, friends, TV scripts and popular music. When you think of it that way, the act of seeing a couple of football players crossing their arms on TV is probably roughly equivalent to a drop in the ocean. I think it's highly unlikely that it will in any way contribute to children later deciding to take up a life of crime.

A final point: this gesture, from what I understand, is not about making jail seem 'cool' or 'respectable'. Do you really think that Andy Krakouer, a man who actually experienced the awfulness of being convicted of a violent crime and having his freedom and dignity taken away, thought his experiences were 'cool' or 'respectable'? No, like Martin, his gesture was an emotional one, just like Chris Tarrant kissing his jumper, Rhyce Shaw pointing to the sky in honour of Bob Rose or any number of players tapping a black armband. If you want to take that sort of passion out of the game because you think it's directed at an inappropriate target, then you're entitled to your view, but I think what the AFL has done here is very sad and only contributes further to the control of players' behaviour and the wider marginalisation of prisoners.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Someone call an ambulance, poor David has a bleeding heart, I hope it's not fatal.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Symbols have meanings, and the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

People in jail have done something violent to their society and violated the rights of at least one other human being. This gesture will glamorize being in jail for many kids who do not have the maturity to interpret it correctly. I don't want football to glamorise crime, violence and penal servitude for our children. As someone said, if you want to support a friend in jail, good on you ; so you should. Write them a letter, visit, or even protest of you think they were not guilty. But don't make it seem cool or respectable to be in jail.

Good call, AFL.

Yep, hate to see little johnny do it at school. Fair point.

As for Steve j, the guy has always been a sneaky turd, just look at the behind the play"want did Ido?" Brocken record.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:51 pm

^ Little Johnny's dad might just be in prison. It happens. Perhaps doing that salute after kicking a goal might be a little message to himself that he's thinking of him. Would you call the principal over that?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm

David wrote:
^ Little Johnny's dad might just be in prison. It happens. Perhaps doing that salute after kicking a goal might be a little message to himself that he's thinking of him. Would you call the principal over that?

Nope but I'd tell my daughters to stay the hell away from him

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Well, that's marginalisation for you.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

1061 wrote:
We all have different standards we live by, how dare any of us impose our standards on another human being. Who do we think we are?

Yeah right! How DARE we don't recognise paedophiles, rapists, murderers, thieves, and frauds etc as really decent human beings with acceptable societal standards... Rolling Eyes How dare we impose jail sentences on these poor souls with different standards to us............ Shocked
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm

David wrote:
Well, that's marginalisation for you.

Wake up boy, they marginalized themselves when they broke the law.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:

Yeah right! How DARE we don't recognise paedophiles, rapists, murderers, thieves, and frauds etc as really decent human beings with acceptable societal standards... Rolling Eyes How dare we impose jail sentences on these poor souls with different standards to us............ Shocked

Well I believe people make mistakes and that these mistakes should not be held against them for the rest of their lives but do not get me wrong pedophiles have an exception to my rule. I think you bringing that element into the argument shows a lack of understanding of Martins message and that darker side of society.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:

Well I believe people make mistakes and that these mistakes should not be held against them for the rest of their lives but do not get me wrong pedophiles have an exception to my rule. I think you bringing that element into the argument shows a lack of understanding of Martins message and that darker side of society.

I work as a Social worker mate and see the darker side of society every damn week.
I just get upset at the totally ignorant, blinkered, silly new age thinking that sees these bloody arseholes as making "mistakes".. Evil or Very Mad Believe you me, most of these dirty bastards (I did say most) don’t make mistakes, they are brutally planned attacks and they deserve every bit of jail time they get... Mad
You wouldn’t ever want to be at the end of some of these so called “mistakes”…. Rolling Eyes
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm

1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:

yep, murdering or raping someone is one heck of a big mistake you wouldn't hold against someone?! Shocked Rolling Eyes

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm

How would you feel if you or someone very close to you was a victim of one of Dusty's incarcerated mates David??
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:

I work as a Social worker mate and see the darker side of society every damn week.
I just get upset at the totally ignorant, blinkered, silly new age thinking that sees these bloody arseholes as making "mistakes".. Evil or Very Mad Believe you me, most of these dirty bastards (I did say most) don’t make mistakes, they are brutally planned attacks and they deserve every bit of jail time they get... Mad
You wouldn’t ever want to be at the end of some of these so called “mistakes”…. Rolling Eyes

Look I don't know you from a bar of soap but it sounds like you are a bit disillusioned.

I work in the community sector myself.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:35 pm

1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
1061 wrote:

Look I don't know you from a bar of soap but it sounds like you are a bit disillusioned.

I work in the community sector myself.
he probably is a bit, hard to care for those who don't care for others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: