Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dustin Martin 'jailhouse' salute

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-imposes-suspended-2000-fine-on-richmonds-dustin-martin-for-on-field-gesture/story-fni5f9jb-1226717159730

RICHMOND midfielder Dustin Martin has been hit with a suspended fine for his jailhouse gesture during the Tigers' semi-final loss on Sunday.

The AFL imposed a $2000 fine but suspended the sanction for two years after the gesture raised the ire of league heavyweights during the clash against Carlton at the MCG..............................................etc etc!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Disgusting. And the justification for this?

http://m.sportal.com.au/default.aspx?s=afl-newsdisplay&aid=252086&j=

Quote:
"We haven't fined or sanctioned in the past for this, but it's got to the point where we're really saying to all players that we don't want these sorts of gestures.

"There will be a portion of our audience or crowd who are upset by it, and we just think it's best left somewhere else."

Who?

Maybe 'Darce' can help us out:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-11/suspended-fine-for-martin

The saintly Luke Darcy pontificated — sorry, wrote:
Write him a letter, Dustin... maybe give him a call if you've got something that means something to you... I would be absolutely furious if I was Damien Hardwick... That is very selfish and just a poor thing to do. Leave that out of the game.

(By the way, if you keep watching that video, Darcy then goes on to more or less defend Ryan Crowley getting into an altercation after the siren while another player is trying to shake his hand. Guess he doesn't want that sort of poor sportsmanship "left out of the game"...)

Personally, I think Luke's former team-mate Robert Murphy got it spot on a couple of years back:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-dont-have-right-to-shackle-krakouer-20110413-1de6b.html

Quote:
For many, this was far too in-your-face and not to be tolerated:

''No, no, Andrew. We're happy for you to be back playing football now that you're all nice and neat. But please, there's no need to drag us back into your grubby prison cell. Especially not live on TV - there's kids watching, you know.''

It seemed many followers of the game are happy enough to see Krakouer back, but feel like they have a right to dictate the terms. If he keeps his nose clean and plays nice footy, that's OK.

But they're appalled when he indulges in what may have been a moment of emotional release, his own little celebration of how far he has come.
Or perhaps it was as simple as sending good wishes to his brother who is in a Perth prison. I think he's justified on both counts.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 pm

My guess is that it would be victims of crime who'd be offended. Fair enough too.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Jolly Good wrote:
My guess is that it would be victims of crime who'd be offended. Fair enough too.

If they are, they're barking up the wrong tree. The fact that there are victims of crime out there doesn't mean that criminals should be whitewashed out of society. They are people with friends and family members. You can't tell them to forget them or stop mentioning them in public.

Anyway, let's face it: the only people seriously 'offended' by this are PR-obsessed corporate types, sensationalist tabloid journalists and the rent-a-quotes they wheel out in order to give their story an angle. Nobody else cares.

At the end of the day, freedom of expression is an important thing to defend, both on the football field and out in wider society. For instance, I don't think being a self-righteous meathead is necessarily a good look, but I support Darcy's right to remain on television.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm

David wrote:
Jolly Good wrote:

If they are, they're barking up the wrong tree. The fact that there are victims of crime out there doesn't mean that criminals should be whitewashed out of society. They are people with friends and family members. You can't tell them to forget them or stop mentioning them in public.

Anyway, let's face it: the only people seriously 'offended' by this are PR-obsessed corporate types, sensationalist tabloid journalists and the rent-a-quotes they wheel out in order to give their story an angle. Nobody else cares.

At the end of the day, freedom of expression is an important thing to defend, both on the football field and out in wider society. For instance, I don't think being a self-righteous meathead is necessarily a good look, but I support Darcy's right to remain on television.

yawn. blah, blah, blah.

it is actually ok to have some standards and to hold to them.

leave the sports field for actually playing sport not grandstanding.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm

David wrote:
I don't think being a self-righteous meathead is necessarily a good look, but I support Darcy's right to remain on television.

I have Ch7 on mute when the football is on. It's an amazing invention! They drive you insane otherwise.

Go the Pies
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 pm

John Wren wrote:
yawn. blah, blah, blah.

it is actually ok to have some standards and to hold to them.

leave the sports field for actually playing sport not grandstanding.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Let's be honest someone could pour a bucket of turds over David and he'd be fine with it once he found out it was done as part of a student art project. Laughing
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 am

swoop42 wrote:
Let's be honest someone could pour a bucket of turds over David and he'd be fine with it once he found out it was done as part of a student art project. Laughing

Lol sorry David but this was a little funny. Laughing

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 am

Martin has a history of being a dickhead in his short time in the game and gestures like this just reinforce that he has little in the way of either class or intelligence.

Sure his "bro's" on the inside will think he's staunch but what will Mums, Dads their little kids, the club that employs him and the sponsors that fund the club think?

I'm sure they really give a toss about some crim and their family and friends feelings or whether some "right on" libertarian thinks his gesture is in any way appropriate and would probably think it's an appalling look and message delivered in a completely inappropriate forum.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 am

Chances are that the symbol wasn't really intended for them. I know it's hard to accept that spectators don't have ownership of players, but... *sigh* brick wall.

Actually, no, hang on... what did you think of Krakouer when he did it back then? Would you have said that he had "little in the way of class or intelligence"?

swoop42 wrote:

That's not a suggestion, I hope! Razz

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 am

I still don't get it. How would little kids know what it meant except no deal. And jezza, there are a lot of victimless crimes.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 am

David wrote:
Disgusting. And the justification for this?

http://m.sportal.com.au/default.aspx?s=afl-newsdisplay&aid=252086&j=

Quote:
"We haven't fined or sanctioned in the past for this, but it's got to the point where we're really saying to all players that we don't want these sorts of gestures.

"There will be a portion of our audience or crowd who are upset by it, and we just think it's best left somewhere else."

Who?

Maybe 'Darce' can help us out:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-11/suspended-fine-for-martin

The saintly Luke Darcy pontificated — sorry, wrote:
Write him a letter, Dustin... maybe give him a call if you've got something that means something to you... I would be absolutely furious if I was Damien Hardwick... That is very selfish and just a poor thing to do. Leave that out of the game.

(By the way, if you keep watching that video, Darcy then goes on to more or less defend Ryan Crowley getting into an altercation after the siren while another player is trying to shake his hand. Guess he doesn't want that sort of poor sportsmanship "left out of the game"...)

Personally, I think Luke's former team-mate Robert Murphy got it spot on a couple of years back:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-dont-have-right-to-shackle-krakouer-20110413-1de6b.html

Quote:
For many, this was far too in-your-face and not to be tolerated:

''No, no, Andrew. We're happy for you to be back playing football now that you're all nice and neat. But please, there's no need to drag us back into your grubby prison cell. Especially not live on TV - there's kids watching, you know.''

It seemed many followers of the game are happy enough to see Krakouer back, but feel like they have a right to dictate the terms. If he keeps his nose clean and plays nice footy, that's OK.

But they're appalled when he indulges in what may have been a moment of emotional release, his own little celebration of how far he has come.
Or perhaps it was as simple as sending good wishes to his brother who is in a Perth prison. I think he's justified on both counts.

I agree with your post David and you make good points. however, you need to watch the Ryan Crowley handshake incident a little more closely. While dirty pr$ck Stevie J does in fact shake his hand, he also gives him one to go on with and pulls his arm at the same time so what looks like a sporting gesture is actually a fairly violent act. I would have relatiated just as Crowley did is some prick shook my hand in that manner. Stevie J is a jerk and a very bad loser.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 am

Symbols have meanings, and the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

People in jail have done something violent to their society and violated the rights of at least one other human being. This gesture will glamorize being in jail for many kids who do not have the maturity to interpret it correctly. I don't want football to glamorise crime, violence and penal servitude for our children. As someone said, if you want to support a friend in jail, good on you ; so you should. Write them a letter, visit, or even protest of you think they were not guilty. But don't make it seem cool or respectable to be in jail.

Good call, AFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: