Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies wallop Weagles - all comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Didaicos wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Maybe my expectations are overly high, but after the first quarter I thought we were simply awful. Even Mr Perfect Pendlebury fumbled and made uncharacteristic errors. Good to see our backline play hard, aggressive footy with Brown, Shaw and Williams all excellent. Grundy held his own against Cox, Swanny worked hard, Seeds took his chance and played possibly his best game. We all love Dids, as do the players, but he doesn't fit into my best team unless we get another spate of injuries. It's a game of high intensity and when we are at our best, a brutal game of run, spread and carry. Dids can't play that way now. If Ball and Beams need more rest, then Dids did enough to play again next week, otherwise, I can't see him forcing players like Thomas and Dwyer out; Kennedy maybe!
I was at the game, there was intermittent showers throughout the night that probably made the ball slippery.

That would explain some of the fumbling. Rain wasn't obvious on tv.
magpiemike Taurus

LEGEND. AMEN.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 pm

+1. Didn't see the rain, was watching where i could on the iPad. That would explain heaps. Blair could have had 40+ possessions if he didn't go to ground or overrun the footy. Dont get me wrong, loved the way he got in there with no fear, he had a great game I reckon.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 am

Does the Seed keep his spot? gee he has some class.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Another really great performance. Yes, we faded out and didn't really press home our dominance, but for me, the energy and toughness with which the team is now playing is exactly what I've been wanting. Win or lose, this how I want to see Collingwood play.

The momentum of the Josh Thomas support train is now starting to build, but I think it's lagged a little behind the reality. This bloke, for most of the year, has shown that he is a legitimate inside mid at AFL level. This is hugely significant for our team as it fills an important hole, that being the spot behind (sometimes alongside) Luke Ball. We had no real replacement for Ball, now we do. And after a career best performance against the Eagles, Thomas looks like he will be a worthy replacement.

One thing that I'm now more confused about though, is Paul Seedsman. How has he not been playing? How was he not the natural replacement for the injured Sinclair? He was excellent on Friday, and to think he would not even have played were it not for the late withdrawal of Beams. Looking more and more like there is something more to this than we know.

Special mentions: Marley Williams put in a career best performance; Reid worked well up forward; Lynch showing some touch; Grundy continues to amaze; Brown brilliantly led the defense.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:10 pm

I didn't think our last half was as bad as some suggest, the eagles were definitely running a lot harder and having a real go. We've had a pretty big few weeks of footy, it's pretty understandable the boys would back off a little when not a lot to gain.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Good win.

Kept the weagles to their lowest score for 2013.

Some great moments.

Swan's goal on the run showed how good this team is - even if it was against a crap opponent.

Didak's goal - bloody fantastic. The crowd and team rallying around him also shows what this club is all about.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:52 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

One thing that I'm now more confused about though, is Paul Seedsman. How has he not been playing? How was he not the natural replacement for the injured Sinclair? He was excellent on Friday, and to think he would not even have played were it not for the late withdrawal of Beams. Looking more and more like there is something more to this than we know.

When Bux was asked pretty much the same question on SEN regarding Seed's there was a bit of a pause before he answered that Paul needed to work on his defensive side of his game. I think there was more to it and was probably out of the side due to disciplinary reasons, you don't have a player with the boot of seed's out of the side because his defensive game is not up to scratch if you ask me.

BARRACK HARD!
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:51 pm

The best part of this win (apart from Dids) was the way we handled the ball in close. It looked like the Pies from 2010.

Seriously tho, is there a more entertaining sight in Aussie Rules Football than Alan Didak? I think not. The supporters love him and the players love him. You hear the rumours floating around about Port Adelaide offering him a 2 year deal to finish off his career. That would be the most tragic thing to happen at Collingwood since McKenna pulled on a Carlton jumper.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 pm

^^Don't need to go back that far. McGuane finishing at Carlton and Leon going out at least a year too early weren't great moments either.
Beast 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Great first quarter followed up by two reasonable ones. Last quarter was all about the preservation.
Dids kicking a goal and getting swamped was a very emotional moment but I have no doubt the game has past him by.
A lot of positives out of the game with Heater returning to his blistering best the biggest.

Hoping Bally is ok.
McMonkey 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Impressive win by the Pies, showed the value of kicking straight, early, and crushing any hope the opposition might have. What a turnaround the last month has been, very impressed that the GC & GWS games seemed to produce the intolerance for mediocrity it did.

Thought Nathan Brown had a very tidy game on one of the games elite forwards, he gave Roughy a bath last week too.

Youngsters were really impressive, Grundy again, like how him and Witts have that lower center of gravity, think it certainly helps them hold their position.

Williams great game, could see him being a good mid one day, Seed could one day do the Heath Shaw role, even though he didn't play, Sinclair could be a Shane Kerrison type for us and as much as I hate to make this comparison, JT has a bit of Judd about him to me, that upright posture in his running style and the way he bursts away from packs - I know I'm getting carried away, but what is a man to do while he watches the replay with a cigar and his smoking jacket on!

Blair's form is a bit of a concern, his tackles were up at least but just wonder whether Krak could offer us more with JT (with Beams back), Elliot (upon return), Kennedy and Dwyer to be the small forwards applying the tackling pressure.

Swan & Pendlebury, guns.

Would love to see Dids stay in and think he will from Buckley's presser, what to do with Jolly? Still think we need him in the team in finals but unsure how it will all fit? nice problemo to have I guess.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Rick wrote:
TheJonesBoy wrote:
We seem to have a tendency to over handball at times, or dish off to a bloke either running straight into traffic or with a bloke on his hammer.

Eradicate this, get the ball on the foot more often, and just tidy up a few of the basic skill errors and the sky's the limit!!

If there's one thing I took out of the game, is that Ben Kennedy will not handball or pass to a teammate anywhere within 70m of goal.

I'm prepared to cut him a bit if slack. Kennedy was very keen to pass off in his earlier games and just wasn't getting it quite right and it often resulted in intercepts or turnovers. I reckon he's just getting used to the pace of the game and as he grows more comfortable his decision making will improve.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:00 am

magpiemike wrote:
+1. Didn't see the rain, was watching where i could on the iPad. That would explain heaps. Blair could have had 40+ possessions if he didn't go to ground or overrun the footy. Dont get me wrong, loved the way he got in there with no fear, he had a great game I reckon.

It only rained pre-match, otherwise the rain held off for the whole match.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 am

jackcass wrote:
Rick wrote:
TheJonesBoy wrote:
We seem to have a tendency to over handball at times, or dish off to a bloke either running straight into traffic or with a bloke on his hammer.

Eradicate this, get the ball on the foot more often, and just tidy up a few of the basic skill errors and the sky's the limit!!

If there's one thing I took out of the game, is that Ben Kennedy will not handball or pass to a teammate anywhere within 70m of goal.

I'm prepared to cut him a bit if slack. Kennedy was very keen to pass off in his earlier games and just wasn't getting it quite right and it often resulted in intercepts or turnovers. I reckon he's just getting used to the pace of the game and as he grows more comfortable his decision making will improve.

Loads of talent. Needs to work hard on his foot skills though. I'm sure he & the coaching staff know that. Will be a very good player for us.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Rick wrote:
TheJonesBoy wrote:

Loads of talent. Needs to work hard on his foot skills though. I'm sure he & the coaching staff know that. Will be a very good player for us.

Totally agree. I'm a fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: