Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 19 - Collingwood vs Werribee at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpiemike Taurus

LEGEND. AMEN.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MB, working all day today, so just did the game in 3 mins via your updates. Just as exciting hours later Wink
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 am

A great win and great to be back in finals.

Jake Kelly gets his first winners circle shower

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:07 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Thanks for all the updates MB and we're into the finals Very Happy

Great game by Broomhead and Krak looked very good today. Even Jordan Russell played well today. I can't see Jolly playing next week in the seniors unfortunately, but that's my opinion.

Yes, Broomhead was good. But, as you say, Jolly had little influence. Krak was outstanding in the last quarter, although the complete absence of a functioning forward line in the last 30 minutes meant that the 'Pies were unable to capitalise on his excellent, clean clearance work. I'm not sure if he could do that at senior level but Cloke would love to be on the receiving end of that sort of work out of the centre square.

Putting aside one's likes and dislikes, it must be said that Jordan Russell was BOG by the length of the straight (and then some). Given that he played as a key defender against capable opponents, his all-round game seems to me to have been substantially strengthened since he was out-marked from behind by Betts and Garlett in the same quarter in the early-season senior match. He is a big, strong boy with good pace. Really, he could be a top-quality senior player, yet - if he keeps up that sort of form, perhaps he will force his way into the seniors as a regular next season.

The last quarter today was a little disappointing by the team as a whole (I'm not sure whether they ran out of legs or whether the standing ovation at three-quarter time as they walked to the huddle may have given them the impression that the match was already over) but, on the positive side, the defence continued to play very well right to the end. In fact, if Ramsay, Frost and Russell hadn't played so solidly down back, this is a game that might have been lost by 4 to 6 goals. The problem late in the game was that the half-forwards couldn't apply defensive pressure and that the mid-field (without Kennedy and Didak today, of course) was short on class (Martin did reasonably in the circumstances, despite the odds and a heavy tag but, apart from him and the Krak, there was little run in the middle third of the ground in the last quarter). I don't think the inside 50 stats are available from the game but Werribee seemed to get it in there about 18 or 20 times (perhaps more) in the final 30 minutes.

Other positives (looking to potential senior opportunities) were the performance of Oxley, who continues to impress, and Mooney - he made both of his last quarter goals himself - his pace and finishing got the 'Pies over the line at the death.

Depending upon the approach to senior selection next week, any of Ramsay, Frost, Russell, Broomhead, Oxley or Krak could come up for a game. This game presented a lot to like about the future (and I haven't always thought that about the VFL games I've watched this year).

Thanks for the report Pies4shaw. Russell sounds like a very handy player to have up our sleeve if Maxwell or Shaw are injured or suspended during the finals. Might even be considered as a long term replacement for Maxwell. What did you make of Yagmoor's game?

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:07 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Thanks for all the updates MB and we're into the finals Very Happy

Great game by Broomhead and Krak looked very good today. Even Jordan Russell played well today. I can't see Jolly playing next week in the seniors unfortunately, but that's my opinion.

Yes, Broomhead was good. But, as you say, Jolly had little influence. Krak was outstanding in the last quarter, although the complete absence of a functioning forward line in the last 30 minutes meant that the 'Pies were unable to capitalise on his excellent, clean clearance work. I'm not sure if he could do that at senior level but Cloke would love to be on the receiving end of that sort of work out of the centre square.

Putting aside one's likes and dislikes, it must be said that Jordan Russell was BOG by the length of the straight (and then some). Given that he played as a key defender against capable opponents, his all-round game seems to me to have been substantially strengthened since he was out-marked from behind by Betts and Garlett in the same quarter in the early-season senior match. He is a big, strong boy with good pace. Really, he could be a top-quality senior player, yet - if he keeps up that sort of form, perhaps he will force his way into the seniors as a regular next season.

The last quarter today was a little disappointing by the team as a whole (I'm not sure whether they ran out of legs or whether the standing ovation at three-quarter time as they walked to the huddle may have given them the impression that the match was already over) but, on the positive side, the defence continued to play very well right to the end. In fact, if Ramsay, Frost and Russell hadn't played so solidly down back, this is a game that might have been lost by 4 to 6 goals. The problem late in the game was that the half-forwards couldn't apply defensive pressure and that the mid-field (without Kennedy and Didak today, of course) was short on class (Martin did reasonably in the circumstances, despite the odds and a heavy tag but, apart from him and the Krak, there was little run in the middle third of the ground in the last quarter). I don't think the inside 50 stats are available from the game but Werribee seemed to get it in there about 18 or 20 times (perhaps more) in the final 30 minutes.

Other positives (looking to potential senior opportunities) were the performance of Oxley, who continues to impress, and Mooney - he made both of his last quarter goals himself - his pace and finishing got the 'Pies over the line at the death.

Depending upon the approach to senior selection next week, any of Ramsay, Frost, Russell, Broomhead, Oxley or Krak could come up for a game. This game presented a lot to like about the future (and I haven't always thought that about the VFL games I've watched this year).

Thanks for the report Pies4shaw. Russell sounds like a very handy player to have up our sleeve if Maxwell or Shaw are injured or suspended during the finals. Might even be considered as a long term replacement for Maxwell. What did you make of Yagmoor's game?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 am

^^^ MOTR, I didn't think Yagmoor had much influence. A couple of his kicks went astray but he was otherwise OK. He didn't look to me like he was pressing for senior selection any time soon, though. He has gradually improved over the season but I'm not sure whether he has done quite enough.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 am

the "highlight" of the day was when dtm say grundy in the sherrin stand. somehow the row of seats in front of dtm got off the ground. Laughing Laughing

also for those that missed it, there was a fight at half time the umps let the players continue and they just walked down their race. jolly,huddo were 2 players giving it to a tigers player also the pies runner got involved
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:05 am

How did Kelly go?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm

neil wrote:
How did Kelly go?

According to Luke Mason, Kelly was wearing 72. Assuming that's right (I didn't get the Record), he showed some promise, playing mainly off half-back/wing - he looks a good size and quick enough (quicker than his Dad, I think but more lightly built, at least at this stage - he's an Oakleigh Under 18s player). As you'd expect, he was a bit of a mixed bag (coming in as the 23rd man, effectively as a "guest") but he could develop into a very good player. I should say that I tend to watch the senior list players more closely than the VFL boys, so maybe some others at the game have better informed comments than mine?
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm

^ Thanks
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:48 pm

And now as announced on VFL Radio, just a few moments ago, it will be Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at North Port Oval on SATURDAY at 2pm.

VFL/AFL game clash looks like it will be avoided... Very Happy

Funny, Collingwood finishes 6th and becomes the 'home' team by name, yet Port is the home team by fact...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the notice, MB. I might go to that one, too. Very exciting.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
And now as announced on VFL Radio, just a few moments ago, it will be Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at North Port Oval on SATURDAY at 2pm.

VFL/AFL game clash looks like it will be avoided... Very Happy

Funny, Collingwood finishes 6th and becomes the 'home' team by name, yet Port is the home team by fact...

Yeah we finish above Port but we play at there home ground Evil or Very Mad

Glad it's on Saturday so I can go to Both Matches next weekend

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 pm

its how the finals work. finals are either at port melb or box hill. id rather it be at port melb much easier to get to with transport or car.

but it could change with all this stuff about bombers. i know the afl side will be affected and jury is out what happens with bombers vfl
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:33 pm

neil wrote:
How did Kelly go?

Named among the best players in the papers today. Can't ask for more than that from the kid at this stage.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:53 pm

Photos from the game: VICTORIA PARK ON FACEBOOK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: