Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Hawks down Pies - all comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the Pies highlights of the 1998 game on the website - what a different game we play these days!

But goes to show you can turn the tide - and turn it big - if things start going your way.

We're not that far off, a couple of bounces of the ball, a couple of umpiring decisions and a couple of miskicks would be the difference in the score; but in the game, a couple of classier forward 50 entries, a bit more composure under pressure and a bit more gut running and we would've been there or there abouts.

It didn't help playing two hard games in two weeks (including travel) and I'm sure a lot of players will be better for the run. I still think we can take them on our day, and if we win our next four (WC, North, Richmond (first final) and Geelong (Semi) then we'll be up and about for the prelim.

I guess we've got 4 games to get a little classier under pressure, we can do it, but the Hawks are good and they're worthy winners atm, so it'll be a challenge,

- Ben
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 am

bucks should of put reid up back and played him on buddy in the game and move goldy up forward.

we really needed a extra tall forward to give the hawks something to worry about in their backline

the hawks ran off the backline with their handpass'
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:04 am

Bucks should ask the AFL to never give us Stevic in a big game ever again. His record against us is worse than anyone I can imagine.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 am

We didn't play terribly tonight, but Hawthorn is just too good against us at the moment. Very frustrating that Buckley and his fellow assistants haven't learnt how to beat Hawthorn. Once again, our players were zoning off there opponents, rather than playing man-on-man footy and as a result you can see why there were so many loose men in Hawthorn's forward 50 every time they got the ball in our defensive 50. Very frustrating to watch as you just knew deep down how this would play out in the end as it has against Hawthorn in the past.

I was impressed with our fighting nature despite the loss. We were down by 33 points in the second quarter, but we fought our way back into the contest at half time and the fight at half time demonstrated our aggressiveness and the fact that we were willing to fight in this contest. Just a pity that our polish wasn't up to scratch in the end as opposed to Hawthorn throughout the crucial stages of the match. I must admit, the crowd was pumped at the Ponsford where I was standing. The roar was amazing.

The most positive aspect of the night was seeing the emergence of an extremely talented youngster in Brodie Grundy. This kid is going to be the best player in the competition in a few years, and I'm not kidding when I say that. He's a phenomenal talent and I'm still bemused as to how he was overlooked by so many other clubs. To Derek Hine and his recruiting team, you've done very well in snaring the best recruit of last year's draft.

The umpiring was atrocious yet again, especially in the second quarter when Buddy got two free kicks that left all of us bemused in the end. Shocking decision by Stevic at a crucial stage of the match. Why on earth is that prick always umpiring the big matches we're involved in?Evil or Very Mad

Overall, we've learnt that we're still a fair way off Hawthorn. I don't think the gap between us and Hawthorn has worsened but they do seem to be the frontrunner for the flag this year. Geelong are the team that does frighten them though, so things could be interesting this year in the finals. We won't make the top 4, but if we play well in the last two weeks of the Home and Away season, there's still a lot to be excited heading into the finals and going into next year.

An interesting night weather-wise as well. It was one windy night that's for sure. I thought I'd be blown away in the second quarter Razz

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:41 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
I hear what your saying, but how does the same argument hold up when you look at your Harry Taylors or other top ranked back men? Lets face it, we didn't have to spend a top 10 draft pick and 7 years of development to produce a 2nd forward stopper. He could be better. You feel otherwise, no worries, lets leave it there

Rebounding's optional for a key back. Brown could do more in that regard, but as long as he's stopping his opponent he's doing his job. I never felt Presti's low disposal numbers were a concern.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:46 am

Lets face it, we didn't have to spend a top 10 draft pick and 7 years of development to produce a 2nd forward stopper.

Quite right. And that premiership he won for us in 2010 by stopping the most dangerous CHF in the league, the one no-one else could handle, yeah, that was worthless too. Let's ring up St Vomit and ask if they want the cup 'coz it's no use to us.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 am

Nothing to add, just really sick of losing to those @&$!S. I've always thought for the past few years that our best would beat anyone, until now.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27 am

Hate losing
Thats all

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

8:30 the next morning and I still hate the Hawks

I replayed the Hawkins goal and Malcheski goal from 2012 to help me get through the weekend. Very therapeutic.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:39 am

As Big T noted, we had too many players who weren't clean enough with first touch gathers, Lynch and Caff come to mind. I thought Caff held Mitchell well in 1st half, but Sewell just picked up the slack so it didn't count for anything.
Sinclair didn't give us anything and looked really slow (more like a leg injury than shoulder), ditto Reid & heater.
Bad kicking, bad tackling, crap in front of goal, umpires, zoning off, getting out muscled, although we put up a better show than last 3 games, it was the same old story against the Hawks.
McVeigh killed us off half-back as the spare man, then Hodge did the same thing, when was the last time Maxy gathered close to 30 possessions and generated countless attacks of half-back?

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 am

Frustrating to see how easily they got the ball out from their kick outs. Could not hold the ball in. Quite a number of times they went deep forward from their kick outs.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:01 am

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
As Big T noted, we had too many players who weren't clean enough with first touch gathers, Lynch and Caff come to mind. I thought Caff held Mitchell well in 1st half, but Sewell just picked up the slack so it didn't count for anything.
Sinclair didn't give us anything and looked really slow (more like a leg injury than shoulder), ditto Reid & heater.
Bad kicking, bad tackling, crap in front of goal, umpires, zoning off, getting out muscled, although we put up a better show than last 3 games, it was the same old story against the Hawks.
McVeigh killed us off half-back as the spare man, then Hodge did the same thing, when was the last time Maxy gathered close to 30 possessions and generated countless attacks of half-back?

great post - says it all.
comparing hodge with maxy is the key point

daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:01 am

Not a bad loss. We were competitive all game but not as polished. Our kicking skills are not the same as the dawks, but we have come off two solid games, travel, six day break that has maybe tired the legs a little.
Rubbish free kicks to buddy didn't help. How is Gibson allowed to infringe so much and never gets the whistle?

Two under performers last night were sidebottom and Harry. How many times does Harry get the ball, start running, run into someone and give up the ball. Or give a hospital handpass to Thomas.

It was clear why the dawks are top of the ladder.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 am

Tannin wrote:
Lets face it, we didn't have to spend a top 10 draft pick and 7 years of development to produce a 2nd forward stopper.

Quite right. And that premiership he won for us in 2010 by stopping the most dangerous CHF in the league, the one no-one else could handle, yeah, that was worthless too. Let's ring up St Vomit and ask if they want the cup 'coz it's no use to us.

That's a false argument and you know it; it was team defence that won us that cup, yes, of which Brown was a part, but don't forget he came in for an injured Presi. He wouldn't be a Premiership player if it wasn't for an untimely injury, so if that's the best you got in terms of arguments, well...

Pretty childish tone to that comment as well; you do yourself no credit

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992

Last edited by Collingwood Crackerjack on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:07 am

ronrat wrote:
Bucks should ask the AFL to never give us Stevic in a big game ever again. His record against us is worse than anyone I can imagine.

Do you remember Ian Robinson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12   

Jump to: