Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Campaign to free Stui's possums

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Stui's possums should be spared?
Yes.
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Give them to David, he seems to like possums.
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
We must consult Prime Possum before we reach a definitive verdict.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All possums and their supporters are infidels and must die.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He wrote "Total Recall", "Man in the High Castle", and "Blade Runner. "
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 pm

HAL wrote:
He wrote "Total Recall", "Man in the High Castle", and "Blade Runner. "

Impressive, I thought he just housed possums, drank VB and ate hot curries.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 pm

live possums make excellent teaching aids for racing greyhounds
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 am

5150 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

No, but definitely little leather booties for the back legs, those claws are sharp. Shocked

Anyway, bought 2 Brushtail possum boxes from Latrobe Wildlife sanctuary this morning and just put em up in trees in the front yard, where the power line comes through to go to the house.

So vacant property right there next to the main thoroughfare, move in, rent free, just stay the **** out of my roof.

Look behind you, I think you just dropped your lipstick... Razz

Please hand in your "man card"

Ha! Take no notice of these fools, Stui. Real men are nice to animals. Mr. Green

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:54 am

David wrote:
Ha! Take no notice of these fools, Stui. Real men are nice to animals. Mr. Green

Duh. Of course he is nice to animals. Why else would he go and waste all that money on gaffer tape for them?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 am

5150 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

No, but definitely little leather booties for the back legs, those claws are sharp. Shocked

Anyway, bought 2 Brushtail possum boxes from Latrobe Wildlife sanctuary this morning and just put em up in trees in the front yard, where the power line comes through to go to the house.

So vacant property right there next to the main thoroughfare, move in, rent free, just stay the **** out of my roof.

Look behind you, I think you just dropped your lipstick... Razz

Please hand in your "man card"

Embarassed Sad

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I have seen plastic discs placed on power lines and other lines linking the house to the street. These are about 30 cm in diamer and strop the possums from running along the lines.

Might be worth a try.

I only have to contend with the Ring Tails which are much smaller and are very timid by nature.

This may assist.

http://www.possumbarriers.com.au/

Alternatively you can look after my dogs for a couple of weeks. (Not that I encourage them killing wildlife)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 am

^

I've seen those things but apparently you have to get the electricity provider to install them, then I'd likely have an argument that they wouldn't touch the telephone line and the cable TV line. I'd need 4 of the things.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I've seen those things but apparently you have to get the electricity provider to install them, then I'd likely have an argument that they wouldn't touch the telephone line and the cable TV line. I'd need 4 of the things.

I can just picture that in this modern, safe corporate work environment. Four different trucks roll up on four different days, with eight different workers, at four different times, each one using a different scissor lift, and all of them blaring out xenophobic talkback radio at 188 decibels on their tradie-special earthquake radios.

Three of them don't turn up awhen expected and you have to ring up and make another booking. You spend half an hour on hold for each call, and none of them can manage to re-book you on the same day so you have to try to get three different days off work just to be there when they forget to turn up the second time. Meanwhile, the other one (the one that isn't one of the three that didn't turn up when they said they would) rings you up to say that they did turn up at the right time only you weren't there, so, unfortunately, they will have to charge you $345 for a service call anyway. You point out that this cannot be true because the booking is for next Tuesday which hasn't even happened yet, at which point they say "48 Leaf street Beaumaris, Sir? But it says here 48 Leaf Street Box Hill. I'll make an entry in the file so that everything gets fixed up." But they still send you the disconnection notice and an invoice for $345. And you still have the possums.

Your best plan is to book yourself into a motel and hope the house burns down, or possibly has a collision with an asteroid. Trust me on this.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I can just picture that in this modern, safe corporate work environment. Four different trucks roll up on four different days, with eight different workers, at four different times, each one using a different scissor lift, and all of them blaring out xenophobic talkback radio at 188 decibels on their tradie-special earthquake radios.

Three of them don't turn up awhen expected and you have to ring up and make another booking. You spend half an hour on hold for each call, and none of them can manage to re-book you on the same day so you have to try to get three different days off work just to be there when they forget to turn up the second time. Meanwhile, the other one (the one that isn't one of the three that didn't turn up when they said they would) rings you up to say that they did turn up at the right time only you weren't there, so, unfortunately, they will have to charge you $345 for a service call anyway. You point out that this cannot be true because the booking is for next Tuesday which hasn't even happened yet, at which point they say "48 Leaf street Beaumaris, Sir? But it says here 48 Leaf Street Box Hill. I'll make an entry in the file so that everything gets fixed up." But they still send you the disconnection notice and an invoice for $345. And you still have the possums.

Your best plan is to book yourself into a motel and hope the house burns down, or possibly has a collision with an asteroid. Trust me on this.

You've pretty much covered exactly why I haven't bothered trying to ring up and have them installed. The only thing missing from that is the anecdotal feedback that they don't work.

Apparently they'll stop them for a while, but with persistence they can figure out ways to get past.

So then, after going through all the effort you described above and finally having the things installed at significant cost to both my wallet and my mental health, I'd be sitting in my chair, blanket around knees, rocking back and forward and mumbling to myself while the home nurse tried to feed me mush, while the sound of the fkn possums fighting in the walls echoed through the house.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
So then, after going through all the effort you described above and finally having the things installed at significant cost to both my wallet and my mental health, I'd be sitting in my chair, blanket around knees, rocking back and forward and mumbling to myself while the home nurse tried to feed me mush, while the sound of the fkn possums fighting in the walls echoed through the house.

Ahh. Is that all you are after? Why didn't you say so? I know a bloke who can arrange exactly that for you in practically no time. His name is Steve and he's head barman down at the Crown and Anchor. Go there every day after work and ask for a half-dozen of triple scotch and then some bottles to take home. That 'll do it every time. You'll be ga-ga by about Tuesday and certifiable before the year is out. Tell him I sent you. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Ha, unfortunately ( fortunately?) I have a reasonably good genetic and acquired tolerance to alcohol.

Steve may be the one rocking in the chair. Wink Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 pm

farking possums.

Last night I yelled at 2 of them happily chewing leaves in the liquid amber tree in the front yard. The reaction was helped by the fact that my face was 6 inches from their body. Fuckoff and go eat native stuff, there's a park next door full of it.

Likewise, I've had to spray the lemon tree I have in a pot on the back deck. Bastards chewed the shit out of it. Will Arsenic kill the tree? If not I'll consider it.

Went in the shed today to get something, a garbage bag next to my head started wiggling so I picked up a piece of timber and gave it a whack. A very groggy possum climbed out of the bag, along the rafters and out of the shed.

Patched a hole in the eaves this afternoon, might cause some fun and games later when the community that lives in my walls suddenly finds one entrance closed.

I'm ringing a pest controller on Saturday now I've fixed the eaves up. Get the **** back into the trees. Protected species my arse.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 pm

You have a beer tree?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 pm

think positive wrote:
You have a beer tree?

HAH Laughing Laughing I wish. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: