Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Campaign to free Stui's possums

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Stui's possums should be spared?
Yes.
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Give them to David, he seems to like possums.
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
We must consult Prime Possum before we reach a definitive verdict.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All possums and their supporters are infidels and must die.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago while living in Ringwood we had a possum in the roof. The council lent us a trap and it worked. I rang the council to take it away and the council worker was a bloke I knew from a local footy club. I asked him what we happen. Apparently they won't cross water so he was taking it to Warrandyte (I asked him to take it to Park Orchards and throw it over Sheedys fence) I then said what happens if you catch one in Warrandyte. Oh they release them in North Ringwood.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 pm

luvdids wrote:
think positive wrote:
luvdids wrote:
Yeah, then let's see how 'cute' you think they are. There's nothing cute about them, especially when they're having possum olympics, or possum fights, at 4.30am EVERY morning, right above your head, for a good hour or so. Twisted Evil
im deaf as a post, truly would not bother me!!

but id be pissed off if it messed up the house

id probably try and catch it and set it free in the bush

They do mess up the house, I've still got a trail of possum wee down the inside wall of my linen closet. Luckily mine was in a 'good' spot, the lady in the next unit down had it down her bedroom wall.

Eww,

Can't you kill it with mould spray andpaint over it?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I slept with a possum once.

Well, actually, the possum slept with me.

I was camping in the South Australian Mallee, real inland desert country, in the July. I always sleep out if I can, just throw a tarp down and some blankets, sleep under the stars. This particular night it was bloody cold. The car thermometer said -4 but I reckon it was colder than that at ground level 'cause I had a full 2 litre fruit juice container of water next to my bed, ready to make a cuppa first thing in the morning without getting out of bed (this arrangement is my usual habit - nothing beats breakfast in bed), and it was frozen right through by dawn. One solid block of ice! I had to get into the car to get some liquid water to make tea!

Anyway, sometime during the night, maybe 2am, I half-woke. I could feel the warm little bundle of my cat cuddled up to me, which is what she does on cold nights at home. Fine. I started to drift off to sleep. Then, vaguely and muzzy with sleep, I thought "hang on, I'm not at home". And "Um, where am I? Oh yes, South Australia. Right. Errr .. what is my cat doing here? It's not my cat! It's a bloody possum!"

Sure enough, it was a great big Common Brushtail Possum, a male, and he had crawled into my bed, right in under the damn blankets, and cuddled up against my chest! Only way to get warm, I guess.

But who knows what lice and fleas and things a wild possum has? Probably nothing that would live on a human anyway - not like a rat, or even a dog - but I certainly didn't want the bugger inside my bedclothes. Obviously, I booted him out before I went back to sleep. I hope he froze his technicals off. I know I did!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Shocked I thought you meant Tooves
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Shssssh!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Tannin wrote:
I slept with a possum once.

Well, actually, the possum slept with me.

I was camping in the South Australian Mallee, real inland desert country, in the July. I always sleep out if I can, just throw a tarp down and some blankets, sleep under the stars. This particular night it was bloody cold. The car thermometer said -4 but I reckon it was colder than that at ground level 'cause I had a full 2 litre fruit juice container of water next to my bed, ready to make a cuppa first thing in the morning without getting out of bed (this arrangement is my usual habit - nothing beats breakfast in bed), and it was frozen right through by dawn. One solid block of ice! I had to get into the car to get some liquid water to make tea!

Anyway, sometime during the night, maybe 2am, I half-woke. I could feel the warm little bundle of my cat cuddled up to me, which is what she does on cold nights at home. Fine. I started to drift off to sleep. Then, vaguely and muzzy with sleep, I thought "hang on, I'm not at home". And "Um, where am I? Oh yes, South Australia. Right. Errr .. what is my cat doing here? It's not my cat! It's a bloody possum!"

Sure enough, it was a great big Common Brushtail Possum, a male, and he had crawled into my bed, right in under the damn blankets, and cuddled up against my chest! Only way to get warm, I guess.

But who knows what lice and fleas and things a wild possum has? Probably nothing that would live on a human anyway - not like a rat, or even a dog - but I certainly didn't want the bugger inside my bedclothes. Obviously, I booted him out before I went back to sleep. I hope he froze his technicals off. I know I did!

pfft... I've slept with worse things, and they definitely had things that would live on a human....

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 am

Mugwump wrote:
pfft... I've slept with worse things, and they definitely had things that would live on a human....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aEPhmUx_qo

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:49 am

^ And by the way, now I want to know how you can so confidently assert that it was definitely a male... how, um, long were you sleeping with this possum, hmmm ??
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 am

Sadly for your thesis, they ain't the same size. A large possum is a male, every time; a small to medium one can be either. A typical female Common Brushtail weighs 2-2.5kg; a big male is 4.5kg. The males also tend to be much more adventurous and aggressive - which, when you think about it, makes perfect evolutionary sense: the females are conservative to protect their offspring and breeding capacity; the males take bigger risks in order to fully explore and exploit opportunities, losses are easily replaced.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Is the possum in my picture male or female? Can you tell?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Tannin wrote:
A large possum is a male, every time; a small to medium one can be either.

That is a smallish one, I can't tell. Ask a possum. Possums are good at telling the difference.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 pm

It was being quite adventurous when I caught it (running along the top of a random wooden fence), so I'm suspecting male. Though I got away without being scratched to death, so...?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:12 pm

BTW, did anyone get my Prime Possum reference, or is that just a Canberra thing? Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-8k4vfKbw

$£$%^%%$ terrifying.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:05 pm

David wrote:
It was being quite adventurous when I caught it (running along the top of a random wooden fence), so I'm suspecting male. Though I got away without being scratched to death, so...?

Not sure that that's adventurous, fairly certain that's what they do night after night. Fences, power lines, rooftops, you name it, they'll scamper along it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Small update on the possums.

On Saturday I got up on the roof with a roll of bird wire, sidecutters and several cans of expanding foam. Went around the loose tiles on the rooh, put a layer of bird wire down and filled the gaps with foam.

I intended to leave one opening so they could get out but miscalculated so there were no obvious get out spots. So I left the manhole in the laundry ceiling open, opened the window and closed the door, figuring that if they badly wanted out they'd find that way out.

I expected that I'd hear rampant possums in the roof trying to find a way out Saturday night but nope. Nor Sunday. Confused Mind you, haven't heard the buggers scratching in the loungeroom wall either. Maybe the laundry escape route worked.

So this morning I was out on the back deck having the morning coffee and smoke bout 6:20 am and I could hear some noise like scratching coming from the direction of the BBQ. I assumed it was near the cocky cage which is on the ground behind that, but he was fine and every time I got up the noise stopped. So after a few minutes of up and down, I noticed the vent pipe over the BBQ moving.

(mental pic required here. The BBQ is on the deck, I have bistro blinds around 3 sides to keep the wind and rain out in winter, over the BBQ I put an old rangehood and some air con duct pipe as a chimney to vent the smoke into the yard rather than the deck.

So I wnt over and turned the raqngehood on.

Voila, a great fat possum came climbing out the other end of the pipe. One smack on the wall next to him and he took off up onto the roof.

laundry window now closed, we'll wait and see. The bloke in the shed can stay, I'll just clean up around him as long as he stays out of my roof and stops knocking stuff around in the shed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: