Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Campaign to free Stui's possums

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Stui's possums should be spared?
Yes.
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Give them to David, he seems to like possums.
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
We must consult Prime Possum before we reach a definitive verdict.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All possums and their supporters are infidels and must die.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Oh they do, Luvdids. Every night on my tin roof they have reruns of the Civil War, complete with crashes, thumps, screams of anger, artillery barrages, and the howls of the wounded. The neighbourhood cats own the ground, the possums own the trees and (when they are not busy fighting each other) the honour of owning the roof is fiercely contested in a three way war. My tin roof is a lot louder than any tile roof.

The difference is that I don't hate natural creatures or have a deep-rooted anal compulsion to control every detail of my environment and kill anything that is alive and attracts my attention for three seconds. All you need to do to learn to live with possums is stop obsessing and relax. Pretty soon, you won't even wake up: your mind learns that those noises are harmless and you sleep right through them, exactly as you learn to sleep through the noise of trains or aeroplanes if you live near those things.

Possums are part of Australia. If you don't like Australia, go somewhere else.

PS: if they are inside your roof, that is different: you need to remove them (get a contractor is easiest) and seal the eaves up properly, otherwise they will damage your house.

Wow. Ok. For starters, I also have a flat tin roof. Very noisy, yes. Secondly, I don't hate natural creatures. I'm not obsessed by possums. I am relaxed. I have lived in a house that backed onto train tracks and you do get used to the noise, absolutely. Couldn't even hear the first train of the day in the end.

However, a whole possum family running around, screaming, fighting & scratching on the ceiling (as I've said many times - on the ceiling, not on the roof) is a whole different story.

I like to try & get a full night sleep before I work 9 1/2 hours a day, 6 days a week & being woken every night for at least an hour by pests doesn't make for a happy luvdids. If it was once in a while, who cares?

I'm not going to "go somewhere else" because I don't like being woken up every night, and don't appreciate being told to.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 pm

If they are really on the ceiling as you say, you need to do something about that. They will cause a lot of damage to your house. Think big dollars for replastering and cleaning, think fire hazard .... not good. Get a licenced contractor to relocate them and seal up those eaves!

More info here: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/plants-and-animals/native-plants-and-animals/problem-wildlife/possums/possums-in-your-roof

Edit: by the way, I was mostly thinking of our friendly VPT resident redneck when I wrote my previous post, not you.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
If they are really on the ceiling as you say, you need to do something about that. They will cause a lot of damage to your house. Think big dollars for replastering and cleaning, think fire hazard .... not good. Get a licenced contractor to relocate them and seal up those eaves!

More info here: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/plants-and-animals/native-plants-and-animals/problem-wildlife/possums/possums-in-your-roof

Edit: by the way, I was mostly thinking of our friendly VPT resident redneck when I wrote my previous post, not you.

They're now gone, thankfully. Yes, there's still mess on walls to be cleaned but the contractors got them out (took 3 different companies).

And thanks for the edit, now I take back my purposely placed unncecessary apostrophe in the other thread. I also hate apostrophe abuse, and it pained me to put it there. Just being immature. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 pm

luvdids wrote:
And thanks for the edit, now I take back my purposely placed unncecessary apostrophe in the other thread. I also hate apostrophe abuse, and it pained me to put it there.

Haaa! Cracked me up

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Tannin wrote:
luvdids wrote:
And thanks for the edit, now I take back my purposely placed unncecessary apostrophe in the other thread. I also hate apostrophe abuse, and it pained me to put it there.

Haaa! Cracked me up

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Goddamn, trying to do too many things at once. You know what I mean.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm

luvdids wrote:
Tannin wrote:

They're now gone, thankfully. Yes, there's still mess on walls to be cleaned but the contractors got them out (took 3 different companies).

And thanks for the edit, now I take back my purposely placed unncecessary apostrophe in the other thread. I also hate apostrophe abuse, and it pained me to put it there. Just being immature. Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:41 pm

No no! I didn't even notice that! It took me a while to figure out what on Earth you meant.

I am not, repeat NOT good at spelling. I have always read by looking at whole words, not the individual letters, so I read fast and well ... and have absolutely no clue about spelling. I went through purgatory doing my degree (no spelling checkers on computers in those days, you had to do everything one word at a time with a dictionary .... yuk!) I mostly spell reasonably well on here, but that's only because - like a bad stutterer who has had therapy and can talk OK if he concentrates on it - I work on it. And it never gets easy, I always have to think about it.

Anyway ...

I was just laughing at your perfectly baited Anti-Tannin trap, and then laughing again at your confession that it was hard to do! Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Tannin wrote:

I'm trying to think who you could be referring to there and I'm drawing a blank.

Couldn't possibly be me as I made it pretty clear when the topic of possums first came up that the problem possums were IN the roof, not on. Wink

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
No no! I didn't even notice that! It took me a while to figure out what on Earth you meant.

I am not, repeat NOT good at spelling. I have always read by looking at whole words, not the individual letters, so I read fast and well ... and have absolutely no clue about spelling. I went through purgatory doing my degree (no spelling checkers on computers in those days, you had to do everything one word at a time with a dictionary .... yuk!) I mostly spell reasonably well on here, but that's only because - like a bad stutterer who has had therapy and can talk OK if he concentrates on it - I work on it. And it never gets easy, I always have to think about it.

Anyway ...

I was just laughing at your perfectly baited Anti-Tannin trap, and then laughing again at your confession that it was hard to do! Smile

Thank's

(edit: I am actually an excellent speller, once got a job that I was the least qualified for because part of the interview was a spelling test. I was the only one that got every word correct Smile)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Um, what was this job and how can I apply for it? Shocked
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:40 pm

It was for a weirdo Lithuanian doctor, now retired. Long long time ago. Sorry. But just goes to show, you never know where being able to spell will get you.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 pm

David wrote:
Um, what was this job and how can I apply for it? Shocked

Spelling bee judge, the pay is not great but the tea and chocolate crackles make it all worth while.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:10 pm

luvdids wrote:
Yeah, then let's see how 'cute' you think they are. There's nothing cute about them, especially when they're having possum olympics, or possum fights, at 4.30am EVERY morning, right above your head, for a good hour or so. Twisted Evil
im deaf as a post, truly would not bother me!!

but id be pissed off if it messed up the house

id probably try and catch it and set it free in the bush

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:10 pm

^

Problem is they're territorial little bastards. If you let it go close to where you caught it, it will be straight back. If you take it off and dump it in the bush miles away, apart from breaking the law and being liable for a fine, there's a high risk of it starving as other equally territorial possums won't like the new guy.

First thing if their in the roof is to figure out how they're getting in and plan to close that off.

Last time I had them, I found 2-3 places they were using as entries and exits so I closed off all except 1 during the day and waited till it got dark. After lots of noise while they were trying to get out the blocked holes, the found the opening and went out. I waited a while and went up on the troof at 11pm to seal that one off so they couldn't get back in.

That looks like it has to be the plan again this time.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 pm

think positive wrote:
luvdids wrote:
Yeah, then let's see how 'cute' you think they are. There's nothing cute about them, especially when they're having possum olympics, or possum fights, at 4.30am EVERY morning, right above your head, for a good hour or so. Twisted Evil
im deaf as a post, truly would not bother me!!

but id be pissed off if it messed up the house

id probably try and catch it and set it free in the bush

They do mess up the house, I've still got a trail of possum wee down the inside wall of my linen closet. Luckily mine was in a 'good' spot, the lady in the next unit down had it down her bedroom wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: