Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The real meaning of Floreat Pica

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm
Post subject: The real meaning of Floreat PicaReply with quote

I can now confirm that the true meaning of Floreat Pica has been settled. I spoke with a Latin University lecturer at Deakin Uni near Corio where we come from who gave me the truth. He said it appears to be one of the most misinterpreted expression in history and was quiet upset that Pies fans seem to be misguided. So when I asked what it stands for he said:

Floreat = The blessed Lords or a most devine of type

Pica = A special or gifted bird.

So combining the two words in english translation it should be read to mean:

The Lords blessed most Gifted Bird ; or

The Most Devine Special Bird of blessed gift; or

The blessed most revered Devine bird.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ How does it spell "devine"?

Still, nice to see that the old Hiss is back. That new fake one with the soft voice and the reasonable opinions mostly drawn from a century starting with the digit "2", that fake one was quite disturbing.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Perhaps he should have a word with the Etonians.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 pm

I prefer 'Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris'.

(Google it. I did. Mr. Green)

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Floreat = Whom do you serve?!

Pica = The Mights Magpies! %@#$ Carlton!

Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 am

Hiss, there's no getting away from the fact that you two must have been maggotted to the max on Corio 5 star - that crap you have offered up about the Pies little maxim is such a crock.

'The Official Collingwood Illustrated Encyclopedia by Michael Roberts & Glenn McFarlane:

The club's motto, Floreat Pica, was suggested by treasurer and former player Bob Rush in 1910. Rush had been to an art gallery and had been struck by the words, Floreat Etona, the motto of the Eton College, in a painting he saw there. He had some trouble finding a Latin word for Magpie, but scholars assured him pica, meaning 'part-coloured', would suffice. Rush's inspired suggestion - 'May the Magpies prosper' - remains the club's motto to this day.'

Yes, well, little Bobby Rush may certainly have had a rush of blood to the head over Floreating and Pica-ing his way towards creating his piece of one-up-manship - it sounded good at the time and who gave a rat's clacker what it really meant anyway?

Well, there happens along every so often a supporter or two that feel the need to lift the Club profile and to eliminate any of those past mistakes that tarnish our reputation and that reinforce in the minds of others that the Pies don't know their Cracticus from their Pica, whether they're floreating or not.

Now, for all Nicksters (incl the Tanning Salon - who really does take things too seriously) here's the real oil:

'The common European magpie (Pica pica, or P. caudata) is a black and white noisy and mischievous bird. It can be taught to speak.
The American magpie (P. Hudsonica) is very similar. The yellow-bellied magpie (P. Nuttalli) inhabits California.
The blue magpie (Cyanopolius Cooki) inhabits Spain.
Other allied species are found in Asia.
The Tasmanian and Australian magpies are crow shrikes, as the white magpie (Gymnorhina organicum), the black magpie (Strepera fuliginosa), and the Australian magpie (Cracticus picatus).'

skank t-shirt.jpeg

Off-topic .......... sorry

Tannin.jpg

'I'm Just a little Crow Shrike, Short and Stout ... '
(I'd rather be a black and white noisy and mischievous bird)

mirandarin 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 am

Floreat is correct. It is third person, present tense, subjunctive from the verb 'floreo', to bloom or flower. The subjunctive is often used to express wishes or desire, so it is used here in a sort of jussive to say 'let the pica ( which is nominative singular) flourish.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:39 am

http://youtu.be/IIAdHEwiAy8
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 am

Troppo wrote:
'The common European magpie (Pica pica, or P. caudata) is a black and white noisy and mischievous bird. It can be taught to speak.
The American magpie (P. Hudsonica) is very similar. The yellow-bellied magpie (P. Nuttalli) inhabits California.
The Tasmanian and Australian magpies are crow shrikes, as the white magpie (Gymnorhina organicum), the black magpie (Strepera fuliginosa), and the Australian magpie (Cracticus picatus).'

^ Hopelessly wrong.

As usual for this poster on this subject. No effing clue whatsoever. Where should I start? There are so many ridiculous errors in the above that it's hard to know if it's even worth starting at all, it would be better just to throw the entire load of garbage out and begin again, but let's at least pick a few prime howlers.

• The European Magpie is not "Pica caudata" and hasn't been for perhaps 100 years.
  • There is no such thing as a "Tasmanian magpie".
  • There is no such thing as a "crow shrike"
  • If you are going to cite scientific names that you don't understand, at least learn how to write them properly- correctly cased and with appropriate use of italic script in the right places. Using scientific names incorrectly simply shows people that you are a blowhard with no clue about the subject you are pretending to knowledge of.
  • "Cracticus picatus" does not exist. There is no such creature.
  • "Gymnorhina organicum" does not exist. There is no such creature.
  • There is no such thing as a "white magpie".
  • The term "black magpie" is equally meaningless. The species mentioned, Strepera fuliginosa, is the Tasmanian Black Currawong, not a magpie. I have provided a photograph of one below. As you can see, it is very clearly not a magpie, though it is a relative (neither especially close nor especially distant - different genera but in the same family; call them second cousins if you like, that would be about right).
  • In short, practically every point in your post is factually wrong. Very seldom do we see such an extraordinary pile of gross mistakes and blatant errors piled one upon the other.

• Football is a uniquely Australian game. It is almost true to say that it is not played anywhere else in the world, and certainly true to say that nowhere else does it flourish the way it does here in its Australian home.
  • The Collingwood Football Club is a unique Australian institution.
  • The mascot and emblem of the Collingwood Football Club is the Australian Magpie (Cracticus tibicen). You can verify this for yourself at a glance. (Unless you are completely clueless, of course, in which case you have worse problems to worry about.)
  • The correct and only proper rendition of our motto is Floreat Cracticus - prosper the Magpie!
  • Australian magpies and their relatives are not crows or ravens. They are members of the endemic Australasian native family Artamidae, which also includes the woodswallows and the currawongs. These are all uniquely Australian creatures, well fitted to be associated with the unique and equally wonderful Australian game of football.

Below, a Black Currawong from Tasmania:

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 am

i am so happy to be able to say that i am the one who brought out the Hiss we all remember and love so dearly.

Collingwood motto, as posted in the Hiss awakening thread should be:

without the bitter baby, the sweet just aint as sweet!!!

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Tannin wrote:
Troppo wrote:

^ Hopelessly wrong.

As usual for this poster on this subject. No effing clue whatsoever. Where should I start? There are so many ridiculous errors in the above that it's hard to know if it's even worth starting at all, it would be better just to throw the entire load of garbage out and begin again, but let's at least pick a few prime howlers.

• The European Magpie is not "Pica caudata" and hasn't been for perhaps 100 years.
  • There is no such thing as a "Tasmanian magpie".
  • There is no such thing as a "crow shrike"
  • If you are going to cite scientific names that you don't understand, at least learn how to write them properly- correctly cased and with appropriate use of italic script in the right places. Using scientific names incorrectly simply shows people that you are a blowhard with no clue about the subject you are pretending to knowledge of.
  • "Cracticus picatus" does not exist. There is no such creature.
  • "Gymnorhina organicum" does not exist. There is no such creature.
  • There is no such thing as a "white magpie".
  • The term "black magpie" is equally meaningless. The species mentioned, Strepera fuliginosa, is the Tasmanian Black Currawong, not a magpie. I have provided a photograph of one below. As you can see, it is very clearly not a magpie, though it is a relative (neither especially close nor especially distant - different genera but in the same family; call them second cousins if you like, that would be about right).
  • In short, practically every point in your post is factually wrong. Very seldom do we see such an extraordinary pile of gross mistakes and blatant errors piled one upon the other.

• Football is a uniquely Australian game. It is almost true to say that it is not played anywhere else in the world, and certainly true to say that nowhere else does it flourish the way it does here in its Australian home.
  • The Collingwood Football Club is a unique Australian institution.
  • The mascot and emblem of the Collingwood Football Club is the Australian Magpie (Cracticus tibicen). You can verify this for yourself at a glance. (Unless you are completely clueless, of course, in which case you have worse problems to worry about.)
  • The correct and only proper rendition of our motto is Floreat Cracticus - prosper the Magpie!
  • Australian magpies and their relatives are not crows or ravens. They are members of the endemic Australasian native family Artamidae, which also includes the woodswallows and the currawongs. These are all uniquely Australian creatures, well fitted to be associated with the unique and equally wonderful Australian game of football.

Below, a Black Currawong from Tasmania:

I love a good bird fight...

Slap her feathers off! Pull her wings! Knock the blue out of troppos magpie avatar... Very Happy
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Seeing as how you're both claiming expertise in this area, can either of you validate the scientific accuracy of this documentary? I find it an indispensable reference:

http://youtu.be/wfvEgWINUFc

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:07 pm

David wrote:
Seeing as how you're both claiming expertise in this area, can either of you validate the scientific accuracy of this documentary? I find it an indispensable reference:

http://youtu.be/wfvEgWINUFc

Crack up!!!

"Baby birds are called ... Bees" lol

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I'll stick with Rushs interpretation, I have to, it's tattooed across my shoulder Shocked
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:13 pm

David wrote:
Seeing as how you're both claiming expertise in this area

Troppo isn't "claiming expertise" in the area, he has simply demonstrated an incompetence so complete that he doesn't even understand how clueless he sounds. (And indeed is.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: