Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The MCC dress code is ridiculous

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am
Post subject: The MCC dress code is ridiculousReply with quote

On a whim, I decided to accompany a friend to see the women's match last night. She's an older woman, early 60s, and a rabid Carlton supporter, I'm sorry to say. The fact that she's an MCC member didn't really strike me as particularly important — all I thought it meant for me was an overpriced guest ticket and a slightly better seat. I was wrong.

Having purchased a ticket, we were approaching gate 2 when a security guard accosted us. "Are you wearing a collar under that jacket, mate?" he asked. "No, I can't say I am," I replied.

Now, I'm not exactly the world's most fashionable dresser, but I'd put some effort in last night: I was wearing a jacket, a tight-fitting purple jumper and a t-shirt underneath; new-ish jeans and shoes, which, whilst rarely the high point of my outfit, are a long way from decrepit. Basically, by the standards of the average footy supporter, I looked pretty fab-ulous.

"If you don't have a collar, I'm afraid I can't let you in," stated the guard, affecting a superior tone. Perplexed, I looked around and caught sight of a sign right next to where I was standing. "DRESS CODE," it announced in large letters. "Oh shit, I forgot to tell you," my Carlton-supporting friend murmured apologetically. We returned to the ticketing booth, grovelled for a refund and sheepishly made our way to the Ponsford.

Look, I understand how this works: a place is well within its rights to adopt whatever dress code it likes. That's why I didn't name this thread 'The MCC dress code is patently unfair' or 'The MCC dress code should be illegal'. If they have a prejudice against non-collared clothing — on men only, mind you — then they're entitled to indulge it. Apart from the inconvenience of it all, I didn't feel that personally affronted (to be honest, I was a little relieved to get a refund on my $31 ticket and buy a $13.50 adult concession general admission anyway).

What I can't get over is how ridiculous it all is. It's the football, for god's sake — a place you go to cheer and yell and high-five random people and sing at the end if you're lucky; a place where you go and buy woebegone chips with tomato sauce and get hammered on plastic cups of beer. It's not the opera. The opera doesn't have a dress code.

Why do they enforce it? I presume MCC members are there to watch the football, not critically assess the fashion choices of their fellow spectators. Would the sight of a man strolling through their hallowed stands sans collar detract significantly from their enjoyment of the game? So long as you took care of your personal hygiene, would anyone even have any good reason to care about your appearance? What gives?

I think I know the answer. It's about superiority: the knowledge that the riff-raff are off in their section; that they are part of an exclusive club that the peasants don't have access to. Forget the fact that any violent boofhead at the pub can wear a polo shirt (and usually does); the point is that there is a standard. That's the whole point of the MCC in general. It's not about good seats or guaranteed grand final tickets, it's about paying more for the satisfaction of knowing that one is a member of an elite group.

I've never liked wearing collared shirts, and last night's incident hasn't made me want to go and buy one. If anything, I'm glad I didn't meet the dress requirements. If dressing neatly is not enough to grant me entry, then it's probably not a place I'd want to be in anyway; I'll happily spend my money elsewhere. And I hope the wankers who insist upon these policies choke on their fancy beer.

Last edited by David on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Bogan Wink

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 am
Post subject: Re: The MCC dress code is ridiculousReply with quote

David wrote:
On a whim, I decided to accompany a friend to see the women's match last night. She's an older woman, early 60s, and a rabid Carlton supporter, I'm sorry to say. The fact that she's an MCC member didn't really strike me as particularly important — all I thought it meant for me was an overpriced guest ticket and a slightly better seat. I was wrong.

Having purchased a ticket, we were approaching gate 2 when a security guard accosted us. "Are you wearing a collar under that jacket, mate?" he asked. "No, I can't say I am," I replied.

Now, I'm not exactly the world's most fashionable dresser, but I'd put some effort in last night: I was wearing a jacket, a tight-fitting purple jumper and a t-shirt underneath; new-ish jeans and shoes, which, whilst rarely the high point of my outfit, are a long way from decrepit. Basically, by the standards of the average footy supporter, I looked pretty fab-ulous.

"If you don't have a collar, I'm afraid I can't let you in," stated the guard, affecting a superior tone. Perplexed, I looked around and caught sight of a sign right next to where I was standing. "DRESS CODE," it announced in large letters. "Oh shit, I forgot to tell you," my Carlton-supporting friend murmured apologetically. We returned to the ticketing booth, grovelled for a refund and sheepishly made our way to the Ponsford.
Look, I understand how this works: a place is well within its rights to adopt whatever dress code it likes. That's why I didn't name this thread 'The MCC dress code is patently unfair' or 'The MCC dress code should be illegal'. If they have a prejudice against non-collared clothing — on men only, mind you — then they're permitted to indulge it. To be honest, I was a little relieved to get a refund on my $31 ticket and buy a $13.50 adult concession at the Ponsford anyway. Apart from the inconvenience of it all, I didn't feel that personally affronted.

What I can't get over is how ridiculous it all is. It's the football, for god's sake — a place you go to cheer and yell and high-five random people and sing at the end if you're lucky; a place where you go and buy woebegone chips with tomato sauce and get hammered on plastic cups of beer. It's not the opera. The opera doesn't have a dress code.

I couldn't help but wonder about the point of enforcing such a policy. I presume MCC members are there to watch the football, not critically assess the fashion choices of their fellow spectators. Would the sight of a man strolling through their hallowed stands sans collar detract significantly from their enjoyment of the game? So long as you took care of your
personal hygiene, would anyone even have any good reason to care about your appearance? What gives?

I think I know the answer. It's about superiority: the knowledge that the riff-
raff are off in their section; that they are part of an exclusive club that the peasants don't have access to. Forget the fact that any violent boofhead at the pub can wear a polo shirt (and usually does); the point is that there is a standard. That's the whole point of the MCC in general. It's not about good seats or guaranteed grand final tickets, it's about paying more for the satisfaction of knowing that one is a member of an elite group

I've never liked wearing collared shirts, and last night's incident hasn't made me want to go and buy one. If anything, I'm glad I didn't meet the dress requirements. If dressing neatly is not enough to grant me entry, then it's probably not a place I'd want to be in anyway; I'll happily spend my money elsewhere. And I hope the wankers who insist upon these policies choke on their fancy beer.

You were invited to a club by a member of that club who you admit failed to explain the rules of entry. It also ain't that exclusive a club if guests like you are freely admitted as long as they follow very simple rules.
That club has been there since the 1800's, so stop complaining, you and your friend stuffed up.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm not complaining. As I said, they're well within their rights to enforce whatever dress code they like. I just think it's ridiculous and elitist.

Rather than just mindlessly chanting "the rules are the rules", would you like to offer an opinion as to why such a dress code exists in 21st century, supposedly classless Australia?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Scratch it, doesn't sound right

Curious about the concession. Student card??

And of you had answered yes, its tucked in keeping my chest warm, he might have just let you in!

Last edited by think positive on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 pm

David wrote:
I'm not complaining. As I said, they're well within their rights to enforce whatever dress code they like. I just think it's ridiculous and elitist.

Rather than just mindlessly chanting "the rules are the rules", would you like to offer an opinion as to why such a dress code exists in 21st century, supposedly classless Australia?

We talk a lot about classless Australians at the Victoria Club. Frankly, we are opposed to them.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm

as a kid snuck in there once in the 90's by jumping the wall of the old ponsford.

boring and miserable people, got asked by the old nazi who sat at the door 'did you enter from the public!!??

the old coot then calls out to a group of old toffs in blazers and they chase me out.

bunch of entitled pricks, wish that the whole stand would burn
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

David wrote:

it's a club david. they can do what they like. ever been knocked back at a night club for wearing the wrong shoes?

the fact that they require a collared shirt is hardly a big deal. perhaps you should have asked your host if there were any dress requirenents.

just cos we're in 2013 doesn't mean we have to throw all standards to appease the great unwashed.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Haha, WoY. Good to see some fellow revolutionary sentiment. Wink

TP, yep, I'm a student.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm

John Wren wrote:
it's a club david. they can do what they like. ever been knocked back at a night club for wearing the wrong shoes?

Nope. Once again, I'm pleased to say I choose not to frequent such establishments. I feel much the same way about them.

John Wren wrote:
the fact that they require a collared shirt is hardly a big deal. perhaps you should have asked your host if there were any dress requirenents.

As I wrote in the OP, this isn't really about the fact that I didn't get in. I probably would have still written this even if I had happened to be wearing a collared shirt last night. I still would have found the policy equally absurd.

John Wren wrote:
just cos we're in 2013 doesn't mean we have to throw all standards to appease the great unwashed.

Don't we? What'll happen if we do? I'm curious.

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Polo tops are ok. I've even got in with my man utd top which has a collar.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I'd probably be spewing too if that had happened to me.

It is slightly ridiculous .. but living with riff raff here in Pakenham I totally understand why they'd want to exclude them.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Lol. One thing I don't get though is that a polo shirt is totally a 'riff-raff' thing to wear. I mean, perhaps it's a step above a hoodie and track suit pants, but it'd hardly look out of place at the Geebung. I have no idea. Neutral
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:26 pm

David wrote:
Lol. One thing I don't get though is that a polo shirt is totally a 'riff-raff' thing to wear. Neutral

Tell that to the prats that prance around wearing Lacoste and Ralph Lauren polos.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm

what you should of done dave was go to westpac centre buy a top with a collar from there and then head into the mcc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: