Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The MCC dress code is ridiculous

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is dumb. The MCC dress code isn't even that stringent anymore. Wearing a collared shirt and decent footwear isn't hard.
The fact is, people pay a lot of money for an MCC membership. If you're going to be a guest in their area, the least you can do is follow their rules.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 am

For all of those saying "Just wear a collar", can anyone explain what was so offensive about what I was wearing (that is, neat, close-fitting long-sleeved jumper)? Would my appearance in this outfit have detracted from anyone's enjoyment of the game? Or was I merely the thin edge of the wedge which culminates in hoodies, gangsta caps and thongs (all things that a revised dress code would be unable to prevent)?

We've established that it's their prerogative to have whatever dress code they please, but the point is that it seems ridiculously petty. Some people here are MCC members, which means you probably get voting rights on these policies. Would it be the end of the world if you voted to relax these rules somewhat? Or do you like the feeling of being 'special' too much? Neutral

I think this sentence sums up the mentality at work here:

Stupied wrote:
The fact is, people pay a lot of money for an MCC membership.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:58 am

David wrote:
For all of those saying "Just wear a collar", can anyone explain what was so offensive about what I was wearing (that is, neat, close-fitting long-sleeved jumper)? Would my appearance in this outfit have detracted from anyone's enjoyment of the game? Or was I merely the thin edge of the wedge which culminates in hoodies, gangsta caps and thongs (all things that a revised dress code would be unable to prevent)?

We've established that it's their prerogative to have whatever dress code they please, but the point is that it seems ridiculously petty. Some people here are MCC members, which means you probably get voting rights on these policies. Would it be the end of the world if you voted to relax these rules somewhat? Or do you like the feeling of being 'special' too much? Neutral

Stupied wrote:

a fashionable man who wore a tuxedo would technically breach the dress code. Do you think if Bob Skilton turned up in a tuxedo, he would breach the code.

The dress code is to stop people turning up in hoodies and thongs. unfortunately, the unwritten rule that if you are well dressed it shouldnt matter whether or not you have a collar doesnt make it to some of the dickheads who run security and who think they are god on any given Friday night.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm

The problem, of course, is that the people doing the vetting on the way in are themselves riff-raff, so they are incapable of assessing anyone else's dress from an appropriate perspective.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

David wrote:

Stupied wrote:

David, you don't get it. It may seem petty to you, but it isn't to them and frankly they wouldn't care less for your opinion.

There was nothing offensive about what you where wearing, it's really simple. As you point out, they have the right to put on a dress code and the right to exclude people who don't meet it. The fact that you could comply wearing a $5 poloshirt and not be allowed in wearing an $80 T shirt is not the point.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

David wrote:

Stupied wrote:

David, it's a rule... THE END

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
David, it's a rule... THE END

Thus spake conformity.

Have you ever thought there might be some rules in society that might be worth criticising?

To be honest, I started this thread as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek exercise. Of course they can enforce the wearing of blue suede pants or bow ties if they wish. I just wondered why more people hadn't pointed out the absurdity of a 'members' section of a football ground rigorously enforcing a fascist dress code. A few people have agreed with me, a few have tried to provide a rational explanation, but the majority just seem to be repeating "rules are rules" as if that adds anything to the discussion. You'd all make good daleks!

Of course this is a minor issue in the scheme of things (although it does point to the continuing existence of a kind of elitism and class snobbery in Australia). For most people, it's really not a big deal. But I think the responses in this thread show why social change is so hard to effect: most people treat the status quo as a kind of religion. If it is, it must be. Here's to another century of MCC snobbery. Smile

Last edited by David on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 pm

yep David, and you argue for arguments sake. It's who you are.

It's a small rule and it's not going to create mayhem, but, still you want to argue the point that it exists.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Never played golf David?

So, if they lowered the standard, where do they stop? Will you then have a problem that they won't let you in with thongs on? They want to enforce a minimum standard of dress and have every right to do so.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm

If you want my honest opinion, I think all dress codes are rubbish, unless it just so happens that there's something problematic about the items of clothing themselves. So, no open-toed shoes in bars where the chance of injury from broken glass is high: common sense. Not wearing a t-shirt with an offensive slogan to church: fine with me. Enforcing a fairly arbitrary dress standard just so people can feel that they are part of an elite group: pretty ridiculous and pedantic.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 pm

David, I think your problem exists with one word. A word that is far over-utilised these days, by people that don't have very solid a grasp of it's meaning.......... respect.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm

David wrote:
If you want my honest opinion, I think all dress codes are rubbish, unless it just so happens that there's something problematic about the items of clothing themselves. So, no open-toed shoes in bars where the chance of injury from broken glass is high: common sense. Not wearing a t-shirt with an offensive slogan to church: fine with me. Enforcing a fairly arbitrary dress standard just so people can feel that they are part of an elite group: pretty ridiculous and pedantic.

You are completely missing the point, rabbiting about elite groups etc.

Have you ever heard of "Neat Casual"? It's a dress expectation that is widely accepted and enforced as a community standard.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:02 pm

David wrote:

Stupied wrote:

The rules are a lot more relaxed than they used to be already. I think your problem is that you're the one who feels so "special" that the rules shouldn't apply to you.

Requiring a moderately neat standard of dress is hardly elitist. But then someone like yourself can seem to find elitism pretty much anywhere.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Stupied wrote:
I think your problem is that you're the one who feels so "special" that the rules shouldn't apply to you.

How many times do I have to say that it's not about me? The fact of being turned away made for a good story to start the thread, but my issue here is with the rule itself. And yeah, I think it's pretty unquestionably elitist.

stui magpie wrote:
Have you ever heard of "Neat Casual"? It's a dress expectation that is widely accepted and enforced as a community standard.

The fact that it's prevalent doesn't mean I agree with it (although I accept that there's nothing necessarily wrong with a workplace enforcing a dress code if you're dealing with customers face to face). Going to the football, however... I dunno. I don't think you're going to be able to convince me that this is a sensible policy.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:04 pm

^

Sitting in the MCC members area isn't just "Going to the footy". You have access to a number of bars and areas that the general public doesn't. They have a dress code not for watching the footy, but for access to the whole package.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: