Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The MCC dress code is ridiculous

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a shoe dress code too.

I personally don't mind if there is a code or not. I walk past gates 2 and 3 every week to get to the Ponsford stand, so I've seen the code a few times.

I actually don't mind the fact the MCC area doesn't allow in bogans with pink shorts, thongs and a bright green singlet top whilst wearing sunglasses from the 80's and slick hair like Justin Bieber.

My biggest gripe with the MCG as a whole is the fact the smoking line is so close to the doors. Should be 50m back from the doors.

I don't like getting cancer every time I walk outside.
Precarious 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 pm

You made the right choice opting for general admission. Beats paying extra for the privilege of wearing a collar. The sense of smug superiority the collar gives is not that great.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Laughing Well said, Precarious.

makri wrote:
David wrote:
Lol. One thing I don't get though is that a polo shirt is totally a 'riff-raff' thing to wear. Neutral

Tell that to the prats that prance around wearing Lacoste and Ralph Lauren polos.

This kind of sums it up for me:

I also endorse this post:

http://claytestament.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/polo-shirts-are-ugly.html

Fire Up wrote:
what you should of done dave was go to westpac centre buy a top with a collar from there and then head into the mcc

Mike, I have to say that's just about the least likely thing I would have done. Wink

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 pm

It's about respecting one's surroundings.
I think it is silly when I see a pile of shoes outside somebody's house, but will still take mine off without saying anything.
Would you rock up to a wedding with an open collar because you don't like ties?? It's not about you though.
Should we not expect school students to adhere to the uniform requirements of their educational institution??

It's about showing respect to the rules in front of you, and if you don't like it, well, do what you did and go elsewhere! Lol. Smile

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm happy to take my shoes off at the door if asked, but that's not a fashion thing, more an understanding that some people don't want dirt traipsed through the house.

As for weddings, does anybody actually request that guests wear ties? Why would it even matter what the guests wear? Sorry, I just find that kind of weird.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:43 pm

makri wrote:
David wrote:
Lol. One thing I don't get though is that a polo shirt is totally a 'riff-raff' thing to wear. Neutral

Tell that to the prats that prance around wearing Lacoste and Ralph Lauren polo

I am currently in Thailand and can buy all those shirts and Manscum United Shirts for between $5 and $10 each. They are all made in SE Asia these days by workers on as little as a few dollars a day. All those companies, including MUFC, are to be condemned. I just spent 4 hours traipsing through malls and markets for a West ham shirt for a mates kid and all you can get is Manchester (both) Chelski and Arsenal with the occasional Liverpool.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 pm

I must say - i don't go to the MCG without my dinner suit, sitting in general admin with my bottle of Camus Cognac XO that i sneak in pass the bag checkers. My greatest annoyance is that i must have my man servant play his fine violin concerto so loud simply to drawn out the din of the meat pie stuffing boganic supporters around me!...but this is just my opinion Wink
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:51 pm

The MCC is quite a good area to watch the footy and cricket, but it is subdued and the dress regulations as David pointed out are a little silly. I've been nominated to be a member in the future. I'm not expected to obtain my membership by at least 2018-2019, but I'll probably be still using my Collingwood membership most likely to get into games at the MCG. The MCC might be a little asset that can be used as a back-up for finals games in the future.

I did once get into trouble at the MCC for drinking beer in my seat and this was when I didn't realise that the MCC is a dry zone when I was at the cricket! Laughing Laughing Laughing

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:39 am
Post subject: Re: The MCC dress code is ridiculousReply with quote

David wrote:
On a whim, I decided to accompany a friend to see the women's match last night. She's an older woman, early 60s, and a rabid Carlton supporter, I'm sorry to say. The fact that she's an MCC member didn't really strike me as particularly important — all I thought it meant for me was an overpriced guest ticket and a slightly better seat. I was wrong.

Having purchased a ticket, we were approaching gate 2 when a security guard accosted us. "Are you wearing a collar under that jacket, mate?" he asked. "No, I can't say I am," I replied.

Now, I'm not exactly the world's most fashionable dresser, but I'd put some effort in last night: I was wearing a jacket, a tight-fitting purple jumper and a t-shirt underneath; new-ish jeans and shoes, which, whilst rarely the high point of my outfit, are a long way from decrepit. Basically, by the standards of the average footy supporter, I looked pretty fab-ulous.

"If you don't have a collar, I'm afraid I can't let you in," stated the guard, affecting a superior tone. Perplexed, I looked around and caught sight of a sign right next to where I was standing. "DRESS CODE," it announced in large letters. "Oh shit, I forgot to tell you," my Carlton-supporting friend murmured apologetically. We returned to the ticketing booth, grovelled for a refund and sheepishly made our way to the Ponsford.

Look, I understand how this works: a place is well within its rights to adopt whatever dress code it likes. That's why I didn't name this thread 'The MCC dress code is patently unfair' or 'The MCC dress code should be illegal'. If they have a prejudice against non-collared clothing — on men only, mind you — then they're entitled to indulge it. Apart from the inconvenience of it all, I didn't feel that personally affronted (to be honest, I was a little relieved to get a refund on my $31 ticket and buy a $13.50 adult concession general admission anyway).

What I can't get over is how ridiculous it all is. It's the football, for god's sake — a place you go to cheer and yell and high-five random people and sing at the end if you're lucky; a place where you go and buy woebegone chips with tomato sauce and get hammered on plastic cups of beer. It's not the opera. The opera doesn't have a dress code.

Why do they enforce it? I presume MCC members are there to watch the football, not critically assess the fashion choices of their fellow spectators. Would the sight of a man strolling through their hallowed stands sans collar detract significantly from their enjoyment of the game? So long as you took care of your personal hygiene, would anyone even have any good reason to care about your appearance? What gives?

I think I know the answer. It's about superiority: the knowledge that the riff-raff are off in their section; that they are part of an exclusive club that the peasants don't have access to. Forget the fact that any violent boofhead at the pub can wear a polo shirt (and usually does); the point is that there is a standard. That's the whole point of the MCC in general. It's not about good seats or guaranteed grand final tickets, it's about paying more for the satisfaction of knowing that one is a member of an elite group.

I've never liked wearing collared shirts, and last night's incident hasn't made me want to go and buy one. If anything, I'm glad I didn't meet the dress requirements. If dressing neatly is not enough to grant me entry, then it's probably not a place I'd want to be in anyway; I'll happily spend my money elsewhere. And I hope the wankers who insist upon these policies choke on their fancy beer.

did your jacket have a collar. If so, that actually satisfies the dress code and you should have complained. but i agree. thrule itself is fine. Its the application of the rules that are a joke. the purpose of the rule is to stop people from simply wearing T-shirts. But if its a cold night and a t-shirt is an under garmet, who the F cares and how does it affect your appearance at the game.

Its like saying, Sorry sir, you cant wear red underwear. Stoopid!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 am

They actually asked to see what was under my jacket. For real.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 am
Post subject: Re: The MCC dress code is ridiculousReply with quote

E wrote:

did your jacket have a collar. If so, that actually satisfies the dress code and you should have complained. but i agree. thrule itself is fine. Its the application of the rules that are a joke. the purpose of the rule is to stop people from simply wearing T-shirts. But if its a cold night and a t-shirt is an under garmet, who the F cares and how does it affect your appearance at the game.

Its like saying, Sorry sir, you cant wear red underwear. Stoopid!

Umm... Here is the dress code...

"Males 15 years and over must wear a collared shirt (even if worn under a collared sweater or jacket) at all times in the Reserve."

What a carry on about a simple rule....ffs its just a collar...
Joining the MCC is pretty simple. You pay a small fee and two members nominate you. There are no reference checks, background checks, etc. if you spend some time in there you will find all sorts of people. The only truly snooty part of the mcc is the long room which is only a small part, just like the real yobbos are only a small part of the outer.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 am

Your being precious David.

Collard shirt ( not jacket), appropriate shoes, jeans with no rips or tears and overall neat casual dress have been the rules of the MCC since year dot .

Its the MCC not the melbourne fottball club. Point being Consider cricket season just for a second, and the comparitive dress code in the old bay 13, where people sit with thier shirts off and bounce around blow up dolls in the air. All they are trying to accomplish is an area for members that has a certain level of standards that they insist on member adhering to. Don't like it, your free to sit anywhere else in the ground which you did.

It's hardly a taxing rule by the way , to put on a collingwood polo. If you want to get into the long room the dress standards increase to shirt tie and jacket. But again you don't have to go in there and most members don't bother.

I've been an MCC member since I was 15, I love the facility, and I love what they offer within there. I have zero problem With the dress code and amoung the crowd note very little difference to the crowd other than less dickheads around and a quieter feel. There's no drinking in the stands and quite frankly as someone with young kids who has attended most other grounds barring the west, ill take the G 's members area and the environment and facility it provides my family everyday of the week.

Shirt with a collar, not Biggy. The only thing in the wrong here is your friend who neglected to tell you. I take guests regularly and it's the first thing out of my mouth, followed quickly by " do you follow the pies?"

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:20 am

David wrote:
They actually asked to see what was under my jacket. For real.

Jokers. Its ok to wear a crappy collared shirt and go and get smashed out of your brain in the bullring to the point where you are a blubbering idiot (something i did many times in my childhood), but you just dare wear a sweater over a T-Shirt and, well, that's just not on.

The rule is fine. Its the application where the place lets itself down.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 am

There's nothing wrong with requiring a shirt with a collar, it just means that the club has a neat causal requirement. The fact that they permit Polo shirts means they've relaxed standards already.

If people don't want to comply, then don't go. If you rocked up at many weddings in jeans and a t shirt you either wouldn't be allowed in or your clothes would be taken as being disrespectful of the bride and groom.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am

Its because they don't want to look at hairy necks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: