Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies down Dogs - all comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels weird criticising a 5 goal win but geez, after such a great 1st half, the 2nd half was very disappointing and frustrating to watch. I know we have bigger fish to fry and our youngsters tired and all that but a little more excitement to carry into the next fortnight would've been nice. A bit flat after that one.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 pm

courtza wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
courtza wrote:
No team in the comp has been able to play this many kids, and rookies at that,

Ah, the Suns and Giants say hello.

The Giants? you cant be serious mate they are shite. Both those teams have had the picks of the litter for the last 3 or so years, most of our guys are from the rookie draft

The Giants will be a powerhouse (with no fans) in three years time. Their kids are just too young.

Look at the way the Suns have developed.

But you haven't explained why it is that Collingwood's kids won't run out of legs by the end of the season. No wonder we are struggling in the second half of matches. It is a known fact that young bodies tire very quickly.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:
courtza wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
courtza wrote:

The Giants? you cant be serious mate they are shite. Both those teams have had the picks of the litter for the last 3 or so years, most of our guys are from the rookie draft

Special note taken on Jacks silence to that reply Rolling Eyes

When was the last time Jack Spain was happy with a Collingwood win? Most of us now have realistic expectations of this bloody pretend Magpie fan and perpetual "perceptive fellow".... Rolling Eyes

And you do nothing but snipe Lazza. At least I'll have a huge smile on my face on Saturday night September 14, and it has nothing to do with Collingwood. As a Gillard lover you'll be a "perceptive fellow" then! Laughing
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:
courtza wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
courtza wrote:

Special note taken on Jacks silence to that reply Rolling Eyes

When was the last time Jack Spain was happy with a Collingwood win? Most of us now have realistic expectations of this bloody pretend Magpie fan and perpetual "perceptive fellow".... Rolling Eyes

And you do nothing but snipe Lazza. At least I'll have a huge smile on my face on Saturday night September 14, and it has nothing to do with Collingwood. As a Gillard lover you'll be a "perceptive fellow" then! Laughing

This is a footy discussion area mate, give the political bullshit a rest.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Thought quite simply we started missing targets in the second half that we were hitting in the first.
Peddles after the game said we were playing on at times when we didn't have to and no doubt the dogs stepped up their pressure.
I've said a few times our single biggest problem in 2011 was that we could not hit targets when we needed to.
During the game the commentary team said we were in the top 4 teams for disposal eff by foot. No doubt a focus of bucks and something that can suffer with tired legs when playing a lot of kids.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm a little late to post because of mid-year exams for Uni, but here are my thoughts about this match:

A good win and I'm glad we're 8-4 heading into the bye now. Overall, the first half was brilliant and it was hard to criticise our performance in the first half, but our second half became more lacklustre as the game went on. We still looked ok in the third quarter, but it was our skill level that dragged us down and in the last quarter we looked like we were keen for the bye to come around sooner rather than later.

I think the stark contrasts between the two halves really does sum up our season at the moment. The first half demonstrated how good we can be and how much we can be a premiership threat if everything clicks. Our tackling pressure was brilliant, we were hitting targets and Travis Cloke was kicking them straight as well. The only flaw I could find was that we could have been even further in front than 53 points as it was at half-time. Whereas in the second half, our ball use was extremely poor, we weren't taking as many risks and we only kicked 4 goals in the second half and two of them came from free kicks. I have to give a little credit to the Bulldogs for increasing their pressure, but it was no excuse for us to stop playing like we did in the first half. The second half demonstrated the lack of killer instinct that we currently have unfortunately, but maybe the drop off in the second half was due to the fact that we'd already won the match and that we didn't want to risk injuring our players, but we still had a lot to play for as our percentage isn't very good as opposed to the other sides around us.

Overall, Swan, Pendlebury, Shaw and Cloke were the standouts for our side. Great to see Cloke convert most of his opportunities and Shaw was back to his very best Smile

In summing up, we're 8-4, 6th, won three matches in a row, no injuries came out from this match apart from a corky from Ben Reid which he'll be able to recover from in time for the Port match, and we're steadily gathering momentum. You can't be happier about that to be honest.

GO PIES!!!

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:52 pm

this is my email to some Footscray tragic on footy Almanac:

Just so you know there is one corner of Collingwood that truly hates your mob:

Reason one – 1984 – with the game in our keeping, Gubby Allan chooses to kick across goal to Greg Philips ball intercepted by would be show pony Simon Beasley –result 5 point loss, and loss of double chance later in the season. Thinks – “why don’t they play like this against Carlton and Hawthorn, instead of just us?”

Reason 2- 2002- special trip to Melbourne to watch my beloved Magpies on the eve of the finals. Chris Grant plays the game of his life and marks everything. Humiliating loss for Collingwood, ruining my weekend. Thinks: “why don’t they play like this every week, instead of just against us?”

Reason 3 – 2010, 1994, 1990, 1996 last week etc, etc – Pies get about 8 goals in front, then Footscray plays its usual big but pointless comeback, robbing us of valuable percentage and folks like me of a peaceful afternoon. Thinks: “why don’t they play like this for an entire game?”

Now, the reason we hate Brad Johnson. Apart from his Heath Ledger the Joker countenance, it’s the milestones. Footscray players apart from TED seem to play a million games of football without doing much, compared to Collingwood's two 300 game players – goal scoring freak Gordon Coventry and Norm Smith medalist Tony Shaw.

But they always have milestones – Cooney’s hundredth, Dougie’s 300th, Brad’s 3 hundred and whatever. And they always play well on the milestones, usually against us.

Some poor fellow whose name escapes me was stuck on 299 games so what does good old Footscray do, but knock Collingwood out of the finals (2006) to get their hero to 300 games. Game 300 of course was the usual Bulldog fare when not playing Collingwood and they got hammered by the Weagles. I screamed at the TV: “you b*stards, you knocked us out of the finals, for a performance like that!?”

Imagine my horror when our opening game of the 2010 season was against the Bulldogs, and Brads 350th!!! Fortunately we finally beat the milestone curse, and later that year finally got revenge for everything in the Qualifying Final.

To conclude – Footscray is the gatecrasher at the coolest party, the Tony Abbott who spits the dummy about Malcolm’s careful deal on Carbon trading, the awkward kid who interrupts you while you are chatting up the most beautiful girl in the room. You may not have a chance anyway, but you will never know because you tripped over this messy obstacle. Nothing personal, but at least you know you don’t have to be Carlton to be hated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: