Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Block

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RR, thanks for demonstrating why I never, ever want to do renovations. Shocked

(P.S. I hope none of that is autobiographical!)

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Depends how far you go, David. I did it once, it was mainly superficial stuff, nothing structural and swore I'd never do it again. Upon reflection, it wasn't too bad when you consider the transformation and experience gained. Amazing what you can achieve by just ripping out some old carpet and tiles, polishing up the old floorboards underneath and a paint job.

and, no, I've never watched an episode of block. Looks like I've made the right choice from what I've read Smile

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:11 am

David wrote:
RR, thanks for demonstrating why I never, ever want to do renovations. Shocked

(P.S. I hope none of that is autobiographical!)

No it isn't but I live in area that is forever upgrading. Before I retired I dabbled in a risk management environment and that is is how you are taught to think.I have also had the displeasure of being woken up at 7.00 am by morons renovating on Good Friday because they were jewish and assumed everyone else was and would not mind. The Caulfield coppers were great and gave them 96 hours to reconsider doing a thing.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 am

We thought about renovating our old place, but the changes we wanted were too big, so we just built from scratch exactly what we wanted. 15 months of hell I said at the time, yeah it's hard work doing it yourself, but so rewarding when it all works out.

And after 4 years of tenants the old house is a bit of a wreck, so we are kicking them out soon, and haha, joke on us, we will have to give it a makeover anyway. And no not looking forward to it!

Would I do it again? Not on this scale but wouldn't need to. This house was built with a gang of kids in mind. (our two and their friends) sadly those days will be gone soon I guess. Hopefully not too soon, they can stay til um, 30? well if they keep their rooms tidy!

A friend of ours is renovating a house in Brooklyn. (no I don't know why either) the only thing left of the old place is the front wall and about 10 feet of the side walls, and soon he is putting in double front doors. He's doing a good job, but they have been living in half a house for 3 years. I'd go friggin crazy. The dust. The possum family that peeks over the edge of the ceiling at dinner time. He restumped, dug the extension foundations, built all the floor, and then the frame, the only thing he got someone to do up until the area was closed in was make the roof tresses. he's doing a great job, but OMG. He has 2 kids that live there part time but they are 18 and 20, can't image little kids there.

Another friend had an extension place build up, as they couldn't afford land around here anymore and didn't want to move further out. (we bought our land just before the price went through the roof and sat on it for a couple of years). They did one of those a current affairs jobs, they have three kids, and are living in what is left of down stairs, as upstairs is not safe. One kid has the lounge as a bedroom. As her old room is the staircase. They can't afford to move, they can't sell, and they can't get another builder to take over, due to court cases etc. It's brought them to the brink.

At least doing it yourself you are in control, and with contractors, you simply don't pay anyone until they do the job right. But they make it hard. The carpenter would say see you tomorrow, and come back 3 weeks later. Which is why it took 15 months!! But he was good, even the frame inspector was blown away by his work.

As for going on the block, I'd be beeped every 2nd word, and divorced in a week!

Bt it's funny to watch!

And the sisters deserved the win. And it's funny to see trixie pissed off again.

And really hard watching Bec right now. Hope her mum has an easier passing than mine did.....

So was it worth it. Bloody oath!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, glad the twins won, the bath was genius, looked sensational. Was also happy Trixie was p**ed off again, they don't deserve the penthouse!

As for Bec, it would be heart breaking of course, but I don't understand why they would be on the show in the first place?? If I was in the same position, entering a comp to be part of a reality show would be the last thing on my mind. I don't get it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 am

luvdids wrote:
Yeah, glad the twins won, the bath was genius, looked sensational. Was also happy Trixie was p**ed off again, they don't deserve the penthouse!

As for Bec, it would be heart breaking of course, but I don't understand why they would be on the show in the first place?? If I was in the same position, entering a comp to be part of a reality show would be the last thing on my mind. I don't get it.

yeah I thought that too, bit odd isn't it

and will they really come back on the show when she is gone??

too weird

and I reckon the judges don't think they deserve the penthouse either!! their "its been turned upside down comment will sting!!"

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:22 pm

think positive wrote:
luvdids wrote:

yeah I thought that too, bit odd isn't it

To be fair, her Mum's had cancer for 5 years and by all accounts this turn for the worse was quite unexpected.

You can tell Bec just doesn't want to be there but has mentioned a few times that her Mum really pushed them to apply. I guess in a way she knows there's not much she can do for her Mum, but by keeping on it's making her Mum at least happy?

I also (begrudgingly) congratulate the girls on last night. Their rooms were awesome.

So what happens with the "tools down" thing. Is it all week?

#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Well it looks like it was filmed a while ago (shorts and tshirts give that away) so I guess the just edit it in, it's on tonight and scheduled all week still
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Fair point about Bec & her Mum, and I've heard them saying her Mum wants them there & wants them to do it, still don't get it. I wouldn't have done it, but each to their own I guess. Having said that, I wonder if the producers knew? Maybe having a member of a contestant's family fighting cancer isn't a prime candidate for future series....

I'm pretty sure the tools down is all week. Looks like the highlights for the shows this week are all at their homes.... ?
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

luvdids wrote:
I'm pretty sure the tools down is all week. Looks like the highlights for the shows this week are all at their homes.... ?

Oh great. because they don't show enough footage of the teams not renovating...

#SIDEBYSIDE
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I had an idea last night that would be very helpful.

Instead of busting their arses side by side until they're exhausted and fall into bed, why don't they take it in turns sleeping? They could try to get 6-7 hours alone each (noise permitting) and still have 10-12 hours a day working as a team.

That way there's always work being done, but they each feel more refreshed when they're doing it.

#SIDEBYSIDE
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

mandy wrote:
[quote="luvdids"]I'm pretty sure the tools down is all week. Looks like the highlights for the shows this week are all at their homes.... ?[/quote]

Oh great. because they don't show enough footage of the teams not renovating...
Interesting comparsion.
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

mandy wrote:
I had an idea last night that would be very helpful.

Instead of busting their arses side by side until they're exhausted and fall into bed, why don't they take it in turns sleeping? They could try to get 6-7 hours alone each (noise permitting) and still have 10-12 hours a day working as a team.

That way there's always work being done, but they each feel more refreshed when they're doing it.
Do you still have an idea last night that would be helpful ?
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Stop stalking me HAL.
#SIDEBYSIDE
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 pm

OK I'll try not to do stalking him or her you so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: