Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Faith and science

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Yes, but I already agree with all that! The distinction I'm making here is between, say, cutting/pasting a file on your computer and copying/pasting it.

Now I get you. Good analogy.

Yep, I agree. If you copy the consciousness from my current meat suit to a new proxy, whatever form that may be, you suddenly have 2 of me and the shared experiences diverge almost instantly. I still exist in my current meat suit, yet a version of me in a new meat suit exists and we're now having different experiences, feelings and thoughts and have become 2 individual consciousnesses.

Pass on that, the cut and paste option or "download" as I termed it is the only viable one, call it transfer if you like but you need to actually move the consciousness from one host to another, leaving nothing behind but an empty meat suit.

If you could do that, which resolves the "copy and paste" issue, does it have to be an organic host?

Passing back to the other issue of the simulations, now I can open some real shaky territory and say that if we are "living" in a a simulation that could go someway to explaining religious beliefs.

Keep with me here, video game makers have egos and insert little hidden things in their games and programs, why wouldn't the being who created the simulation stick some little ego trips in the code? So you have different versions of creation ideas in different cultures and religions and, while different versions, the concept of some greater being who controls the universe. Or the simulation. Razz It's basically all in the code and programmed to be able to grow, morph, warp and change depending on the experiences of the "people" in different cultures and parts of the simulation, but it's all an ego trip by the person who programmed the simulation to have the entities in it have some form of homage or worship to the programmer.

Hell, if you think about it, it would even prove your notion that there's no such thing as free will, we're all just artificial intelligence in a simulation, operating according to our programming.

Want a panadol now? Razz Wink Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:31 am

stui magpie wrote:
If you could do that, which resolves the "copy and paste" issue, does it have to be an organic host?

I wouldn't have thought so. 'Organic' matter is really just another kind of mechanism anyway.

stui magpie wrote:
Passing back to the other issue of the simulations, now I can open some real shaky territory and say that if we are "living" in a a simulation that could go someway to explaining religious beliefs.

Keep with me here, video game makers have egos and insert little hidden things in their games and programs, why wouldn't the being who created the simulation stick some little ego trips in the code? So you have different versions of creation ideas in different cultures and religions and, while different versions, the concept of some greater being who controls the universe. Or the simulation. It's basically all in the code and programmed to be able to grow, morph, warp and change depending on the experiences of the "people" in different cultures and parts of the simulation, but it's all an ego trip by the person who programmed the simulation to have the entities in it have some form of homage or worship to the programmer.

Aha, but how would you explain the existence of atheism? Surely it would kill all the fun to have grumpy people like Richard Dawkins ruining everything. Razz

stui magpie wrote:
Hell, if you think about it, it would even prove your notion that there's no such thing as free will, we're all just artificial intelligence in a simulation, operating according to our programming.

Not necessarily! After all, if free will is a real phenomenon, why couldn't it simply be programmed in? When you think about it, though, we are kind of programmed in a way—we have our DNA, which decides a lot about what personality traits we're going to have, and we then do our best to survive and fulfil our urges given the inputs we receive (stuff that happens to us, people we know, things we learn and so on). Which is why I don't believe in free will.

(Is it the blue panadol or the red panadol?) Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:34 am

BTW, have you seen this before? Smile

http://www.greatplay.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/dilbert1.gif

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 am

Why don't you just watch the new "total recall"?

That explains it pretty well

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 am

David wrote:
BTW, have you seen this before? Smile

http://www.greatplay.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/dilbert1.gif

Hah, yeah I have. Adams doesn't believe in Free Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: