Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Faith and science

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

We have a profit share arrangement. Razz Embarassed Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

We have a profit share arrangement. Razz Embarassed Laughing

We're ploughing the moulah sorry donations of the faithful into our Intelligent Design Time Share where for a little donation ($1,000) and you can have a holiday for god.

Sign the cheques to Tammy May, Stui May & WPT May & may the god of your choice bless you & you. Very Happy

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue May 28, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:01 pm

^ what a miserable lot of cynics you two are ....
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:03 pm

^

Stop sooking. I already told you we'd cut you in, you just have to get over your loin cloth phobia and accept a few splinters in your shoulders Razz

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 pm

It wasn't the loin cloth I jibbed at, it was where WPT wanted to put it! Shocked
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Tannin wrote:
It wasn't the loin cloth I jibbed at, it was where WPT wanted to put it! Shocked

Why for a $2,000 donation you can have the Jimmy Swaggart room.

For $10,000 you can have the deluxe Jerry Falwell room with free Bibles (None of that St James stuff with us) , & we'll show you a free screening of "Night of the Hunter":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20XIg38GcE

& a CD of Kinky Friedman in the Mens room in LA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OYvyBeWX04

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am

At the risk of reigniting old wounds, I couldn't think of a more appropriate thread than this and didn't want to start a new one.

Interesting article in Time magazine by Scott Adams. He's a bit of a left field thinker and you never quite know when he's taking the P155 and when he's serious.

Thought provoking stuff though. Particularly the bit at the end which is quite Matrix esque.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/09/18/dilberts-scott-adams-choose-your-immortality/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am

Interesting (though he possibly overestimates how near this technology is to being realised).

Lola and I had a fascinating 1am discussion a few weeks back about the difference between being replicated (i.e. your brain is mapped and 'downloaded' onto a carbon copy of yourself) and actual prolonged life (say, through a brain transplant). My point was that, for your friends and family, the former option would be greatif you'd died, it would be like you'd just woken up after a short sleep, and you'd go on living life as a normal human being with all of your past memories and personality traits intactbut for you, it'd be a terrible option because you wouldn't get to experience it. Any thoughts, Stui? Smile

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:46 pm

David wrote:
Interesting (though he possibly overestimates how near this technology is to being realised).

Lola and I had a fascinating 1am discussion a few weeks back about the difference between being replicated (i.e. your brain is mapped and 'downloaded' onto a carbon copy of yourself) and actual prolonged life (say, through a brain transplant). My point was that, for your friends and family, the former option would be greatif you'd died, it would be like you'd just woken up after a short sleep, and you'd go on living life as a normal human being with all of your past memories and personality traits intactbut for you, it'd be a terrible option because you wouldn't get to experience it. Any thoughts, Stui? Smile

I'm not sure why it would be a terrible option and I'm not sure I see the difference between being downloaded to a carbon copy and the brain transplant. In either case, the original body is gone but all the past memories were still there, because they had been achieved. If the memory or doing stuff was real to the brain, then it was real.

For mine the prolonging life is more about, like Adams suggests, replacing bits of the body (including organs) with technology or using drugs that keep regenerating the existing one like Wolverine in the Xmen.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not sure why it would be a terrible option and I'm not sure I see the difference between being downloaded to a carbon copy and the brain transplant. In either case, the original body is gone but all the past memories were still there, because they had been achieved. If the memory or doing stuff was real to the brain, then it was real.

My point was this: for Stui Mark II, it would be perfectly fine. In factand here we go into truly head-spinning sci-fi territorythis exact process could have happened to you last night, theoretically. You are Stui, for all intents and purposes. But what if, as part of the process, Stui Mark I gets disintegrated? That Stuithe real onenever gets to experience being Stui Mark II. He's dead. Even though there's a carbon copy Stui walking around who doesn't know any different, the original Stui was terminated last night.

That's why, if it's eternal life we want, that would make for a profoundly unsatisfying option. It'd be good for other people who want a Stui around until the end of days, or a resurrected loved one, or a real Albert Einstein they can talk to, and for those replicants (however long they're kept alive for) things are pretty good too. But for the actual original people, their consciousness is over.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

My point was this: for Stui Mark II, it would be perfectly fine. In factand here we go into truly head-spinning sci-fi territorythis exact process could have happened to you last night, theoretically. You are Stui, for all intents and purposes. But what if, as part of the process, Stui Mark I gets disintegrated? That Stuithe real onenever gets to experience being Stui Mark II. He's dead. Even though there's a carbon copy Stui walking around who doesn't know any different, the original Stui was terminated last night.

That's why, if it's eternal life we want, that would make for a profoundly unsatisfying option. It'd be good for other people who want a Stui around until the end of days, or a resurrected loved one, or a real Albert Einstein they can talk to, and for those replicants (however long they're kept alive for) things are pretty good too. But for the actual original people, their consciousness is over.

See, the way I see it Stui Mk 1 DOES get to experience it. My consciousness has all the memories of everything I ever did, I knew how the old worn out meat suit I used to wear felt and I know how the new model feels. For me the suit of skin is just like getting a new car. The driver is the same, I can remember exactly what the old car felt like and enjoy the new one. What made Stui Mk 1 wasn't the meat suit it was the consciousness , that bit that you could transfer.

Spinning sideways a bit, what did you think about Scott's idea of us all actually just being a computer program that thinks it's real?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
See, the way I see it Stui Mk 1 DOES get to experience it. My consciousness has all the memories of everything I ever did, I knew how the old worn out meat suit I used to wear felt and I know how the new model feels. For me the suit of skin is just like getting a new car. The driver is the same, I can remember exactly what the old car felt like and enjoy the new one. What made Stui Mk 1 wasn't the meat suit it was the consciousness , that bit that you could transfer.

Yes, but I already agree with all that! The distinction I'm making here is between, say, cutting/pasting a file on your computer and copying/pasting it.

Another computer-related analogy: say you're writing a word document and you email your friend a copy. That copy has all the data that the original had (to go back to your analogy, all the specific aspects of your consciousness), but if your friend makes changes to the copy, they're not going to be reflected in the original file. You might well choose to permanently delete the original file because you don't need it any more. Now, if you can imagine how that original file would experience this sequence of events if it had consciousness, that's pretty much the point I'm trying to make here.

(of course, a transplant, in which your current brain gets placed inside some other body, would be a different matter. There, you could quite feasibly have continuous experience. I guess I'm just pointing out the difference between that and a form of cloning.)

Edit: I also realise that my term "downloaded" could have been a little ambiguous. So perhaps we've been on the same page all along.

stui magpie wrote:
Spinning sideways a bit, what did you think about Scott's idea of us all actually just being a computer program that thinks it's real?

I think it's a bit like "what if this is all a dream?" or "what if this is all just someone else's dream?"totally hypothetically possible and probably impossible to disprove, but impractical because it doesn't help us understand anything about the world.

Having said that, I was a little confused by this assertion:

Scott Adams wrote:
Such a program a digital mind if you will could live in an entirely artificial reality and experience what seems to be a genuine human life for the rest of eternity, or at least as long as the software keeps running. The freaky part is that if such a thing will someday be possible and I think it will then it follows that the time after it happens will be infinitely long whereas the history of time before it happens is finite. So it follows that there is an infinitely greater chance you are already the simulation and not a human who is reading this paragraph and contemplating it. Weird.

I think the bit here about there being a "greater" chance that I am a simulation than a human is something of a logic trick (though he's probably being somewhat facetious anyway). It goes something like: there is x number of possible entities who could be experiencing a consciousness like yours at this moment, and they are split between actual people and simulations. Because, as technology develops, simulations (or sub-simulations) will eventually vastly outnumber actual human consciousnesses, and that those simulations will probably simulate a reality a lot like what you're experiencing now, there's (say, to make up a figure) a 90% chance that you are one of the simulations from the future.

There's probably a subtle logical trick in there, or, I dunno, maybe it's true. What do you think? (Keep in mind, I'm the person who got stumped by that Monty Hall three-door problem, so I don't expect to work this one out in a hurry!) Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

For mine the prolonging life is more about, like Adams suggests, replacing bits of the body (including organs) with technology or using drugs that keep regenerating the existing one like Wolverine in the Xmen.

I wouldn't mind being a xwoman

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:33 pm

David wrote:

Having said that, I was a little confused by this assertion:

Scott Adams wrote:
Such a program a digital mind if you will could live in an entirely artificial reality and experience what seems to be a genuine human life for the rest of eternity, or at least as long as the software keeps running. The freaky part is that if such a thing will someday be possible and I think it will then it follows that the time after it happens will be infinitely long whereas the history of time before it happens is finite. So it follows that there is an infinitely greater chance you are already the simulation and not a human who is reading this paragraph and contemplating it. Weird.

I think the bit here about there being a "greater" chance that I am a simulation than a human is something of a logic trick (though he's probably being somewhat facetious anyway). It goes something like: there is x number of possible entities who could be experiencing a consciousness like yours at this moment, and they are split between actual people and simulations. Because, as technology develops, simulations (or sub-simulations) will eventually vastly outnumber actual human consciousnesses, and that those simulations will probably simulate a reality a lot like what you're experiencing now, there's (say, to make up a figure) a 90% chance that you are one of the simulations from the future.

There's probably a subtle logical trick in there, or, I dunno, maybe it's true. What do you think? (Keep in mind, I'm the person who got stumped by that Monty Hall three-door problem, so I don't expect to work this one out in a hurry!) Laughing

Hah,

The way I interpret and understand it is this:

If you accept the premise that it's possible for it to happen one point in the future, there's a very high probability that it's already happened and we are the simulation. For me, it's about frame of reference, we only have knowledge of where the human race and the earth has come from. But if everything we know is just part of the design of the simulation, we would someday progress to the point where we would then create a simulation too. Maybe the people who created the simulation that we currently live in were just a simulation created by someone else before that, so we're actually living in a simulation of a simulation. We're all nothing but virtual code.

Does your brain hurt yet? Razz

And yeah Jo. I can see you in the black leather outfit. Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Ahhh, I see. So almost more like an eternal rabbit hole of simulations.

Now I've considered that for a moment, my conclusion is I don't want to think about it any more. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: