Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Faith and science

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="schuey07"

Yea it's just easier to say god did it. If we all thought like this we would still be in the dark ages.[/quote]

On the contrary, belief that man being created in the image of God and that God being a reasonable God, man could use his reason to discover what God had created. That is why many of the early scientists were Bible believing Christian.

If however, we are nothing more than rearranged pond scum, than that belief would have left us in the dark ages.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:56 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
faith in imaginary beings who always seem to need money and hate anyone who has a different view.

LOL

And so God created man in his image! Laughing

If you believe that. Laughing

And you believe that an incredibly complex organism spontaneously generated itself from inorganic matter and then by a serious of random genetic copying mistakes has added all the required genetic material to give life to all living things on the earth.

Blind faith indeed.

You see you really don't know your evolution, the first life was not incredibly complex. You believe that we we wished into existence by a being that no human has ever had any evidence existed. God was invented because man is afraid of death, but if we have god then we have life after death so we don't have to be scared of death.

There are studies looking into this at the moment, that all these god delusions were created as a psychological way to deal with the dangers that prehistoric humans faced every day. So in effect man created god not god created man.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 am

schuey07 wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
faith in imaginary beings who always seem to need money and hate anyone who has a different view.

LOL

And so God created man in his image! Laughing

If you believe that. Laughing

And you believe that an incredibly complex organism spontaneously generated itself from inorganic matter and then by a serious of random genetic copying mistakes has added all the required genetic material to give life to all living things on the earth.

Blind faith indeed.

You see you really don't know your evolution, the first life was not incredibly complex. You believe that we we wished into existence by a being that no human has ever had any evidence existed. God was invented because man is afraid of death, but if we have god then we have life after death so we don't have to be scared of death.

There are studies looking into this at the moment, that all these god delusions were created as a psychological way to deal with the dangers that prehistoric humans faced every day. So in effect man created god not god created man.

Any self replicating organism is complex. It needs to come into existence with the ability to thrive, survive and replicate. It has been estimated by biologists that the DNA required for the "simplest"organism is the equivalent of a 500 page book. Good luck with that. Not only does it have to be arranged in the correct order but somehow the specific arrangements need to code for something.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:41 am

You all seem to be familiar with Dawkins's work, but I watched this early documentary of his the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_tcAEbHHw

Of course, it's more about the process of evolution than its beginning, but it's pretty compelling stuff.

OK, so we have two problems here: the beginning of life and the beginning of the universe. Dawkins admits that both of these are very much mysteries, but he provides a hypothetical model for the beginning of life in The Selfish Gene. Even for someone not that well-versed in science, I can picture it fairly easily: once I think about life as something that can exist on a very basic level — in microscopic structures without mobility, sensory perception or consciousness — I begin to be able to see a relatively small gap between the most basic life forms and basic proteins. There needs to be a replicator, but that's pretty much it.

Even if we can't explain it, I'm still skeptical about putting God in the gaps. Removed from the religious context, God simply becomes an easy way out; a sign stating "we don't know how this happened, therefore someone must have done it".

It's the same with the creation of the universe, but by the time we get back that far I'd argue that the God argument becomes almost academic. Like some of the new atheists, I'd be perfectly happy to grant you a god that creates the universe and walks away, but such a god has absolutely no bearing on our lives and may as well not exist. And even if you still want to believe in a god, you're faced with the even more difficult question of how it came into being or how sentience could possibly exist outside of conscious organisms.

I think I'll stick with the scientific method. It's done pretty well so far!

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:27 am

I too love the scientific method which has indeed served us well thus far.

The scientific method which discovered DNA, the most complex information storage system known to mankind is an excellent example. As mentioned above the simplest organism is the equivalent of a 500 page book, but to then believe that by single copying errors that will eventually lead to us who are the equivalent of 1000 books, and all by random genetic copying mistakes.

That is fairy land stuff, and no amount of time can account for this.

What's more, bad theory leads to bad science. We all remember vestigial organs which were supposedly were leftovers from our evolutionary past. We know now that these organs do have functions after all. Similar mistake now with so called junk DNA. One time it was believed that 95% was junk, but now the Encode project has basically called an end to junk DNA.

Interestingly , Dawkins in the Greatest Show on Earth made the same claim as proof for evolution just 3 years ago. Surprisingly, even then it was becoming clear that the junk DNA was looking less realistic so why he went with it in his book I leave for you to determine his motives. Recently, he know claims that with evolution that is what you would expect that all the DNA should have some function. Breathtaking hypocrisy really. Junk DNA is evidence for evolution but know that it is found not be junk after all, that too is evidence for Evolution. That is the issue. Evolution will always be changed to accommodate the latest findings, but the paradigm itself is sacrosanct.

Can I recommend you get a copy of Jonathon Safarti's book The Greatest Hoax on Earth, where he goes through all Dawkins arguments. You can get this from Amazon. At the very least, it will give you a understanding of what the other view is. You may not agree with it, but that is fine but at least you will better educated about the views of the other side.

Interestingly and disappointingly, one of the recent athiest conventions, the creationist offered to have an open debate on the science and which view it fits best. Dawkins and co refused. Why, what were they scared of? I would love to see an open and fair debate on the science wouldn't you?
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Not condescending to argue with idiots is not the same thing as being afraid of them.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:30 pm

TBF, I'm already quite familiar with the arguments — I actually grew up in a Christian family with a subscription to Creation Magazine. I even know who Sarfati is: he once sent an email calling my dad a heretic for denying the existence of the trinity (I'm not picking sides in that argument, mind you! Wink).

On the contrary, Dawkins and co. are often more than willing to debate Creationism and Intelligent Design proponents. I watched a debate on youtube a few weeks ago between Dawkins and an American supporter of 'teaching the controversy'. So, I'd hardly say that people are scared of confronting these matters.

What ID is, in my understanding, is simply a modern restating of the old watchmaker argument — something so complex must have a creator. It's always been the most compelling argument for the existence of God, but it's also seriously flawed.

I'll be the first to confess that, even for a long time after moving away from religious belief, I found some aspects of evolution difficult to grasp. I think my epiphany of sorts (and I still acknowledge that I don't understand everything) was beginning to give serious consideration to the massive time scales involved. So, here's a question I'll put to you: if the world is indeed many billions of years old — and, scripture aside, there's little reason to believe it couldn't be — do you really think life forms would really more or less stay the same over that vast time period, or would at some stage change and begin to look different? If you grant the latter, you have to at least on some level grant the possibility of evolution.

There are quite a few videos like this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5EWKuHy9qo

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:58 pm

There is, of course, a god. Her name is "Random Chance". She created everything.

Unfortunately for the creationists, she is not intelligent (although her random answers might still beat all of them in an IQ test) and most of her designs were - and remain -fundamentally flawed.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:04 pm

^ You're not an indeterminist by any chance, are you? Wink
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:34 pm

David and The Bald Facts, congratulations on not dragging this into the muck, it's a shame others in The thread couldn't resist the urge for name calling. Neither side has concrete proof, both are only interpreting the same evidence, but from a differing viewpoint.

I'm curious David, which branch of evolution do you support, as there are in fact several differing theories?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:40 pm

See what you've started, David?

I'm just off to count the fairies at the bottom of my garden. Back shortly.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:
I'm curious David, which branch of evolution do you support, as there are in fact several differing theories?

I'm not really qualified to say either way, though I have to say I find the punctuated equilibrium model a little far-fetched (perhaps I simply don't understand it). For me, the slow adaptationist model seems more compelling.

I'd recommend that Dawkins documentary I posted above, by the way, if you haven't seen it. It's quite short and engaging. Any thoughts?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Sorry, dp.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:53 pm

David wrote:
[quote="Pa Marmo"]I'm curious David, which branch of evolution do you support, as there are in fact several differing theories?[/quote]

I'm not really qualified to say either way, though I have to say I find the punctuated equilibrium model a little far-fetched (perhaps I simply don't understand it). For me, the slow adaptationist model seems more compelling.

I'd recommend that Dawkins documentary I posted above, by the way, if you haven't seen it. It's quite short and engaging. Any thoughts?
No I don't think there are any.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:44 pm

David wrote:
TBF, I'm already quite familiar with the arguments — I actually grew up in a Christian family with a subscription to Creation Magazine. I even know who Sarfati is: he once sent an email calling my dad a heretic for denying the existence of the trinity (I'm not picking sides in that argument, mind you! Wink).

On the contrary, Dawkins and co. are often more than willing to debate Creationism and Intelligent Design proponents. I watched a debate on youtube a few weeks ago between Dawkins and an American supporter of 'teaching the controversy'. So, I'd hardly say that people are scared of confronting these matters.

What ID is, in my understanding, is simply a modern restating of the old watchmaker argument — something so complex must have a creator. It's always been the most compelling argument for the existence of God, but it's also seriously flawed.

I'll be the first to confess that, even for a long time after moving away from religious belief, I found some aspects of evolution difficult to grasp. I think my epiphany of sorts (and I still acknowledge that I don't understand everything) was beginning to give serious consideration to the massive time scales involved. So, here's a question I'll put to you: if the world is indeed many billions of years old — and, scripture aside, there's little reason to believe it couldn't be — do you really think life forms would really more or less stay the same over that vast time period, or would at some stage change and begin to look different? If you grant the latter, you have to at least on some level grant the possibility of evolution.

There are quite a few videos like this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5EWKuHy9qo

No problems David. Each to their own. As long as we treat each other with respect despite the different views we each hold.
Dawkins and co certainly refused to debate the creationists when offered which I suspect you too would have liked to see.
As for change, speciation and natural selection are an integral part of the creationist model so that is what I would expect as God has created the kinds to be able to adapt to their environments within limits.
Interestingly, change is an absolute requirement of evolution, so the existence of living fossils, such as the woolemei pine and the cyloecanth which allegedly date back to the dinosaurs are prima facie evidence against evolution, but the theory is sacrosanct so it is changed to accommodate what would otherwise be evidence against it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: