Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More Islamist peace making.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
The other was a person walking down the street innocently who was targeted to make a political point with no awareness of what may be coming and no opportunity to defend himself.

This is exactly the same situation for civilians murdered in poorly targetted drone attacks in villages in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Iraq and Afganistan.

The attack in London was absolutely horrific and deserves condemnation. But so does the systematic murder of innocent 'foreigners' by western governments who have decided that it is acceptable to kill civilians who are simply unlucky enough to be in the same vicinity as their intended targets. Estimates have put the casualty rate at 50 civilians for each terrorist target killed under the drone program, but we're the good guys right?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm

I won't argue with that, but there are a couple of things to be considered, such as the fact that the drones aren't deliberately targeting the innocent (which is what the terrorists do) and the question of whether the innocents are just unlucky to be near the targets or whether the targets were deliberately placed near civilians as protection which is another standard terrorist tactic.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:37 pm

nomadjack wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The other was a person walking down the street innocently who was targeted to make a political point with no awareness of what may be coming and no opportunity to defend himself.

This is exactly the same situation for civilians murdered in poorly targetted drone attacks in villages in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Iraq and Afganistan.

The attack in London was absolutely horrific and deserves condemnation. But so does the systematic murder of innocent 'foreigners' by western governments who have decided that it is acceptable to kill civilians who are simply unlucky enough to be in the same vicinity as their intended targets. Estimates have put the casualty rate at 50 civilians for each terrorist target killed under the drone program, but we're the good guys right?

These terrorists are winning. I'm starting to think that the simplest and best solution would be to raze the Middle East to the ground. That's not right.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

These terrorists are winning. I'm starting to think that the simplest and best solution would be to raze the Middle East to the ground. That's not right.

How do you reach the conclusion that they're 'winning'?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:28 pm

what makes them terrorists is the fact they are cowards. they attack the unsuspecting, not in a war situation. no one walking home, wether to an army barracks or where ever, no one running a marathon, no one at a wedding reception, the federal building in Oklahoma, is expecting to be blown up, shot with a machine gun, or hacked to death. none of these are acts of war, they are acts of terrorism. by gutless shits who only attack unarmed unsuspecting people who cannot defend themselves. aka bullies. doesn't matter the colour the creed, the religion, its bullies, cowards, terrorists.

war is stupid, no one really wins, but unfortunately due to those hungry for power, its there. despots will always exist, but the fight to stop them must go on. but this was NOT war.

I hope those bastards are put in general population of an army prison. and then hung drawn and quartered. they have earnt it.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Jezza wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

How do you reach the conclusion that they're 'winning'?

I'm starting to think the way they want me to. And I'm not the only one.

[/img]
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm

^

Bingo. These things aren't designed to get the west out of the middle east but to escalate things, make more people choose a side.

The fundamentalists don't want to be left alone in the middle east, they want the whole box and dice. Sad

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 am

this is a good article. Probably behind the paywall so i've copied it in it's entirety. It's an insight into why and who they are.

Quote:
I was a radical Islamist who hated all of you
Maajid Nawaz
The Daily Telegraph
May 29, 2013 12:00AM

MOST people find it hard to imagine stabbing another human being, let alone almost decapitating someone with a meat cleaver.

To do so in broad daylight and in the middle of the road, while asking passers-by to take pictures, simply beggars belief.

Few can understand how the British jihadists Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale could be filled with such hate.

I'm ashamed to say I can. For I was similar to them once.

I spent 13 years inside Hizb ut-Tahrir (HT), the global Islamist organisation that first spawned al-Muhajiroun, the banned Islamist terrorist organisation founded by Omar Bakri Muhammad and Anjem Choudary.

Bakri and Choudary both knew Adebolajo, a 28-year-old who was raised as a Christian. Like Adebolajo, I was raised in Essex in an educated, middle-class and well integrated family.

Again, like Adebolajo, I went on to further education. He dropped out, while I gained a law and Arabic degree from The School of African and Oriental Studies and a Masters in political theory from the London School of Economics.

(The belief that all radicalised young Muslims must lack jobs or are socially awkward loners is a dangerous misconception. I did not lack career opportunities, nor did I lack friends or girlfriends.)

And I, too, was caught up in the aftermath of a Jihadist street murder in which a man was killed with a machete. It was 1995 and I was president of the Student Union at Newham College in East Ham. The union was nothing but a front for HT. We siphoned off money to our cause, giving lectures and preaching anywhere and everywhere - the street, the yard and the canteen, where I would stand on the tables and spout hate.

We were encouraged by Omar Bakri to operate like street gangs and we did, prowling London, fighting Indian Sikhs in the west and African Christians in the east. We intimidated Muslim women until they wore the hijab and we thought we were invincible.

And when an acquaintance of mine, Saeed Nur, slashed a Nigerian student, Ayotunde Obanubi, shouting the same battle cry as the Woolwich attackers: "Allahu Akbar" - God is Great - I watched him die and felt nothing. I did not incite the murder but I did nothing to stop it.

So how did it reach that point? And what turns a tiny minority of ordinary, young Muslim men into fanatical, cold-blooded killers? For my own part, once I became a teenager I experienced severe and violent racism. The neo-Nazi paramilitary group Combat 18 began to target me and my friends. On a few occasions I was forced to watch as white friends were stabbed merely for being associated with me.

At 15, I was falsely arrested at gunpoint for playing with a plastic gun. This was the early 1990s, genocide was unfolding in Bosnia, while the international community failed to act. Add this to my own internal identity crisis - I didn't know if I was British or Pakistani, Muslim or agnostic - and my disenfranchisement from mainstream society was complete.

However, it's what happened next that sealed my fate. I needed someone who could guide a broken and confused 16-year-old. Instead, I came across a charismatic recruiter espousing HT's cause who sold me the ideology of Islamism in the name of Islam.

But Islamism is not Islam. Islamism is the politicisation of Islam, the desire to impose a version of this ancient faith over society. To achieve this, Islamism uses political grievances, such as mine, to alienate and then provide an alternative sense of belonging to vulnerable young Muslims. Preying on the grievances of disaffected young men is the bedrock of Islamism.

Like all bigoted ideologies, it plays on the identity politics game, creating a "them and us", in order to provide a home for the "us" against the alien "other" and control the community by acting as the sole "representative" of Muslims.

One of the Woolwich jihadists ranted to onlookers: "You" have occupied "Our" lands. Spreading this sense of exclusive Muslim victimhood is crucial to the radicalisation process. I continued to spread hate for many years after Obanubi's murder, co-founding branches in Denmark and Pakistan where we targeted army officers in order to incite military coups.

I was aiming to do the same thing in Egypt in 2001, when I was arrested and tortured. Eventually I was convicted of membership of a banned organisation and sentenced to five years in Mazra Tora prison, where deposed dictator Hosni Mubarak is held.

It was then I began to sift through my layers of hatred and ignorance. I also encountered the kindness of strangers, especially Amnesty International whose campaign to win my release was led by an octogenarian in England I'd never met.

After much soul searching I was able to renounce my past Islamist ideology, challenging everything I was once prepared to die for.

De-radicalisation begins by breaking down the logic that once seemed unassailable and rethinking what you are fighting for and why. Hard to do when Islamists and Islamophobes feed off each other's hateful cliches.

We must not blame the security services for what happened. As long as a man can pick up a knife, these murders will be impossible to predict. The only way to try and prevent it happening again is to give those angry young Muslims another outlet. I have founded Khudi, in Pakistan, a youth movement which tries to counter extremist ideology through healthy discussion and debate.

We need a similar grassroots movement in Britain. The only way we can challenge Islamism is to engage with one another. We need to make it as abhorrent as racism has become today. Only then will we stem the tide of angry young Muslims who turn to hate. Only then will they stop listening to people like Omar Bakri Muhammad and Anjem Choudary.

Maajid Nawaz is author of Radical: My Journey From Islamist Extremism To A Democratic Awakening

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/i-was-a-radical-islamist-who-hated-all-of-you/story-fni0fiyv-1226652515525

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

That could be quite a while. Thanks for telling me your taste in men.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 am

Outstanding journalism there PP. Real insight. Thankyou for posting it.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:24 am

The interesting thing in terms of peoples' response here is that this is not the first time that British soldiers have been killed in England in a non combative situation. The IRA killed more than 30 soldiers outside Northern Ireland during the 70s and 80s. They argued that British soldiers were killing civilians in Belfast and Derry (and they were) and therefore British soldiers were the enemy wherever they were. Most English people and certainly all the politicians and media called them murderers and terrorists.

The first difference from Woolwich was that British hostility was directed against the Irish rather than against all Roman Catholics. The second difference was that killers of soldiers were mostly Northern Irish so that they could legitimately claim to be part of a community that felt victimised by the British occupation. The Woolwich killers were not Afghans or Iraquis and the hostility in Britain (and on this thread) has been directed against the entire Muslim community (which is ridiculous)

On another note, while I have never had much time for Jack Spain I cannot believe that even Jack is so intellectually deprived as to quote from a 45 year old speech from Enoch Powell or nail his colours to the long discredited theories of Oswald Spengler.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am

Tannin wrote:
Outstanding journalism there PP. Real insight. Thankyou for posting it.

Agreed. Astoundingly good piece, particularly considering it was published in the Telegraph (not sure whether that's the British or Australian variety; I'm guessing the former).

It's an important article because we need to understand how people like this think. It's the first step towards truly combating their ideology.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:53 am

Don't mention it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm

I reckon you can change the name of the religion to any, religion itself doesn't cause wars, people use it as an excuse for evil deeds and power hunts

great article.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Hizb ut-Tahrir (HT), while banned in a lot of places like the UK are not banned in Australia.

I find that disturbing.

Good post PP, thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: