Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How to solve the umpiring fiasco.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
i went to many games at vic park and left feeling that we were crucified by the umps on nearly every occasion. that sense is a lot less so these days.

a good point was rasised on the radio tonight suggesting the really good teams get away with more and get penalised less. i'd be interested to see our free kick count from 2010-2011 and that now. david, drop your silly form ladder and get on to ths important stat.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/yearly.html

Yearly player average frees for/frees against (final ladder position in brackets):

Collingwood:
2013: 17.6/19.0 (8th)
2012: 16.4/16.4 (4th)
2011: 20.2/18.7 (2nd)
2010: 17.2/17.2 (1st)
2009: 14.5/16.6 (4th)
2008: 18.2/19.6 (6th)
2007: 19.0/18.8 (4th)
2006: 16.9/14.2 (7th)
2005: 17.7/16.0 (15th)
2004: 16.0/15.6 (13th)

Compared with the biggest supposed umpires' pets:

West Coast:
2013: 21.3/18.3 (11th)
2012: 22.2/18.0 (5th)
2011: 21.9/19.2 (4th)
2010: 22.2/18.6 (16th)
2009: 19.2/18.2 (11th)
2008: 22.0/16.9 (15th)
2007: 20.4/17.1 (5th)
2006: 18.7/15.5 (1st)
2005: 18.1/16.0 (2nd)
2004: 14.3/13.9 (8th)

Make of that what you will!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm

David wrote:
John Wren wrote:
i went to many games at vic park and left feeling that we were crucified by the umps on nearly every occasion. that sense is a lot less so these days.

a good point was rasised on the radio tonight suggesting the really good teams get away with more and get penalised less. i'd be interested to see our free kick count from 2010-2011 and that now. david, drop your silly form ladder and get on to ths important stat.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/yearly.html

Yearly player average frees for/frees against (final ladder position in brackets):

Collingwood:
2013: 17.6/19.0 (8th)
2012: 16.4/16.4 (4th)
2011: 20.2/18.7 (2nd)
2010: 17.2/17.2 (1st)
2009: 14.5/16.6 (4th)
2008: 18.2/19.6 (6th)
2007: 19.0/18.8 (4th)
2006: 16.9/14.2 (7th)
2005: 17.7/16.0 (15th)
2004: 16.0/15.6 (13th)

Compared with the biggest supposed umpires' pets:

West Coast:
2013: 21.3/18.3 (11th)
2012: 22.2/18.0 (5th)
2011: 21.9/19.2 (4th)
2010: 22.2/18.6 (16th)
2009: 19.2/18.2 (11th)
2008: 22.0/16.9 (15th)
2007: 20.4/17.1 (5th)
2006: 18.7/15.5 (1st)
2005: 18.1/16.0 (2nd)
2004: 14.3/13.9 (8th)

Make of that what you will!

the vision is inconclusive.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Does Joel Selwood have his own list? Cause it would look like:

2013: 20/0
2012: 50/0
2011: 48/1 (the umpire who paid the free against was sent bush for 2012)
2010: 54:0
2009: 39:0 (still learning the ducking techniques)

- Ben
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 pm

jack_spain wrote:
John Wren wrote:
spin, the fiasco is in your head.

Not just mine. Ask Dyso. Laughing

Sorry JW, agree with Jack.
Game is being trainwrecked by egomaniac imbeciles on rules committee.
Maggots manipulate these garbage rules to our disadvantage whenever they see fit. I loathe cheating in sport, but that's what my eyes tell my brain that it is seeing mate...

John Wren wrote:
i went to many games at vic park and left feeling that we were crucified by the umps on nearly every occasion...

I sat at Vic Park most weeks from 1980, through to 1994. Many of those years with RudeBoy and his crew. They were halcyon days indeed.
Umpiring was at it's worst in that time frame, there was no accountability whatsoever, and very few permanant AFL/VFL recordings made, largely thanks to those scabby grubs at HSV7 with perhaps only 4-6 games being broadcast each round, and far from complete on Big League. With little or no visual evidence for us to look back on, we therefore rely on our memories [or folk law], which will rightly or wrongly recall any umpire bias in the games played at Vic Park. My nostalgic memories say we were shafted most weeks. My recent short term recollections aren't much different.
Oh, and don't start me on that f*cken thing Russo...

Dyso
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

MattyD wrote:
Hiss wrote:
These modern umpires are nothing on the great days of Bill Dellar, Robinson, etc. They knew how to umpire a game and courageously would walk up the umpires race at Victoria Park games to have cups of urine and beer thrown at them. I vividly recall how after a final siren police horses would charge out to the umpires in a vain attempt to beat a surging booze fuelled crowd attempting to grab them.

I remember that game at Victoria Park (there was only one, wasn't there??) haha

I thought it was awesome and well bloody deserved. They robbed us that day. From memory it was st Kilda and we lost by a point?

Vs. Sydney in 1986, and still to this day the most blatant display of umpire cheating in a 2nd half of football i've ever had the misfortune to witness. Everybody in the stands were out of their seats, gesturing and paying out on the maggots in final quarter. I was 16 years old and giving to Capper, Bolton and those Swans sucks as they left through the Sherrin Stand race at final siren. There are graphic threads on this game in Nicks if you dig deep enough...
Still get upset about it. Some things never go away...

Dyso
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 am

piedys wrote:
MattyD wrote:
Hiss wrote:
These modern umpires are nothing on the great days of Bill Dellar, Robinson, etc. They knew how to umpire a game and courageously would walk up the umpires race at Victoria Park games to have cups of urine and beer thrown at them. I vividly recall how after a final siren police horses would charge out to the umpires in a vain attempt to beat a surging booze fuelled crowd attempting to grab them.

I remember that game at Victoria Park (there was only one, wasn't there??) haha

I thought it was awesome and well bloody deserved. They robbed us that day. From memory it was st Kilda and we lost by a point?

Vs. Sydney in 1986, and still to this day the most blatant display of umpire cheating in a 2nd half of football i've ever had the misfortune to witness. Everybody in the stands were out of their seats, gesturing and paying out on the maggots in final quarter. I was 16 years old and giving to Capper, Bolton and those Swans sucks as they left through the Sherrin Stand race at final siren. There are graphic threads on this game in Nicks if you dig deep enough...
Still get upset about it. Some things never go away...

Dyso

I was 14. Sitting a few rows behind the cheer squad. I have very vague memories of it but I remember the ump kind of slipped over trying to avoid projectiles with the horses surrounding him.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 am

MattyD wrote:
I was 14. Sitting a few rows behind the cheer squad. I have very vague memories of it but I remember the ump kind of slipped over trying to avoid projectiles with the horses surrounding him.

I'd suggest the obstacles were half-full beer cans launched at the maggots, which whizzed past the police horse's ears, causing them to rear up.
Not sure if this is on you-tube somewhere?
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 am

piedys wrote:
MattyD wrote:

I'd suggest the obstacles were half-full beer cans launched at the maggots, which whizzed past the police horse's ears, causing them to rear up.
Not sure if this is on you-tube somewhere?

I would love to see the game. I just tried searching, can't find it.
checkraise 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 am

Simple way to consistent umpiring:
Just have 9 teams of 4 umpires, 3 senior umpires plus 1 up and coming junior umpire.
The same group of umpires are together for the whole season, they will over time all umpire very similarly over an extended period of time.
The only difference is that any group may interpret to other groups, not to sure that is an issue as all that most fans of AFL want is a consistently umpired single game.
Happens in Baseball, NFL, NBA.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 am

checkraise wrote:
Simple way to consistent umpiring:
Just have 9 teams of 4 umpires, 3 senior umpires plus 1 up and coming junior umpire.
The same group of umpires are together for the whole season, they will over time all umpire very similarly over an extended period of time.
The only difference is that any group may interpret to other groups, not to sure that is an issue as all that most fans of AFL want is a consistently umpired single game.
Happens in Baseball, NFL, NBA.

Not gonna happen. Too difficult to manage with all their day spa appointments
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 am

umpires at the spa

umps.jpg

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 am

They need to go back to two field umpires as well. Three is too many and the umpires keep getting in each other's way. The more umpires out there, the more frees they feel they must pay (to justify their position).

And to the knob who reported Jolly on the weekend. How do you feel now you idiot?
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I am bumping this thread after last night's disgraceful demonstration of the worst umpiring I have seen in a long time.

As I have said on the Stevic thread, the maggots were so terrible that it is time for neutral umpires in footy. This could happen if each umpire is forced to declare an allegiance to the team they grew up barracking for. This would disqualify them from umpiring matches involving their teams.

On the other hand, the problem is not so much umpires helping their teams, but the fact that they all seem to hate us with a passion. Seriously if the AFL keeps going down their current path it will just be a matter of time before an umpire is bashed or worse. And with all the betting in footy it is critical that they are seen to be truly independent.

But last night the terrible three must have been thankiing their lucky stars they weren't refereeing a soccer match in Colombia or Mexico, because the police would today be looking for three bodies to go with the heads they found impaled on stakes in Federation Square.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 pm

To be fair, I have been rapt with the umpiring as a whole over the last 6-8 weeks. It's like we've actually got our great game back!!
You can deal with a few mistakes as long as the bigger picture is being looked after.

But last night was just, well,.......... sorry, can't find the words to describe how terrible........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:02 pm

jack_spain wrote:
I am bumping this thread after last night's disgraceful demonstration of the worst umpiring I have seen in a long time.

As I have said on the Stevic thread, the maggots were so terrible that it is time for neutral umpires in footy. This could happen if each umpire is forced to declare an allegiance to the team they grew up barracking for. This would disqualify them from umpiring matches involving their teams.

On the other hand, the problem is not so much umpires helping their teams, but the fact that they all seem to hate us with a passion. Seriously if the AFL keeps going down their current path it will just be a matter of time before an umpire is bashed or worse. And with all the betting in footy it is critical that they are seen to be truly independent.

But last night the terrible three must have been thankiing their lucky stars they weren't refereeing a soccer match in Colombia or Mexico, because the police would today be looking for three bodies to go with the heads they found impaled on stakes in Federation Square.

There's over 6 billion people outside of Australia who have no allegiance to a team. We should set up an AFL umpiring academy overseas, pay them a professional wage and get the independence so desperately needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: