Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scoring power

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
I find it hard (nigh impossible) to separate scoring power from team performance. When the team is going well there are a lot of easy goals and the goal scoring average of all players will increase. So I think it's less about bringing in goal kickers and more about lifting team performance. Chicken? Egg? I don't know.

Having said that, I do think the loss of Wellingham and Thomas particularly has hurt us. They are attacking midfielders who can generate goals that other players can't. Beams is a bit different for mine he kicks goals but I feel it's more about where he's allowed to play, there's nothing in particular about his game that is dangerous, unlike say a Sidebottom who's a much better goal scorer but spends more time running up and down the ground.

The loss of Lumumba robs us of another attacking midfielder. This is offset by bringing in Varcoe who lacks some of H's high X factor but is more controlled and will almost certainly hit the scoreboard more often. I think his signing was essential, we just could not continue to lose these types without replacement.

I think our team could do with more pace and particularly more creativity. But in the modern game it's the running power that gets you more goals than anything, and they're the kind of goals that anyone can kick. Our lack of running power is our most critical weakness and needs to be improved. Varcoe, Crisp and also Greenwood are useful additions to this end as is the loss of Beams.

Agree Inky. Teams playing well seem to conceive goals out of almost nothing. Don't think we've done that consistently since the demise of the x-factor forwards like Didak, Krakouer, Davis and Medhurst. Elliott could impact more as he develops, as could Broomhead or Kennedy, but it makes me wonder if we should be looking at a kid like a McLean or Langdon at pick 30 should Cockatoo be gone. Or maybe even retry Sinclair to see if he's more capable now that he's got some games under his belt.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Would not be unhappy if Sinclair was tried forward
Reid Cloke as the talls plus a resting Witts/Grundy will be very difficult for a defence

Elliot Fasolo Broomhead are a promising small forward brigade

Still have White and resting mids like Swan to get time up forward
Plus Gault Freeman Goldsack Blair Macaffer all pushing for spots.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Think by time (2016 mebbee) Darcy has a couple of pre seasons and a taste of the big
stage plus same for the Broomheads Freemans etc we will start to make a bigger
impact.
I drool over the day that Darcy and Elliott rule the sky,s down fwd and what comes
to ground the Broomheads etc snavel up the crumbs
Strange way to build an empire sending famous warriors off but who cares as long as
it happens
And it WILL happen

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:14 pm

^ it's well documented that in 2013 the hawks (moreso clarkson) went about seeking alternate avenues to goal so to reduce the single point of focus in buddy.

like you say rudie, we need to see goals from our mids who are rotating through the forward line. if only we can get two functioning talls and the mosquito fleet feeding of them.

i also think we need to spread more and don't believe we do this very well. is that a fitness thing, fatigue or something else? lack of intelligence, game awareness?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Broken record I know, but it's lack of running power. I seriously think it's the one flaw that needed to be addressed, pretty much everything else flows from it in the modern game. It's running power first, winning the contested ball second (something else which needs improvement) and the rest is mostly icing.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Broken record I know, but it's lack of running power. I seriously think it's the one flaw that needed to be addressed, pretty much everything else flows from it in the modern game. It's running power first, winning the contested ball second (something else which needs improvement) and the rest is mostly icing.

Greenwood, Crisp and Varcoe all add serious running power to our side. Add in Freeman and we could see a dramatic improvement to this aspect of our game in 2015.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I agree, we've gone down the right path. And Beams was not one of our best, swapping him out for Greenwood is a win in this sense.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:30 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

No use getting the ball down to the forward line, if you don't have the forwards to kick goals. Just as important is the delivery into the forward line by precise passing by foot. Beams is I'm guessing,responsible for about 20 - 30 goals per season, either directly kicked by himself or through goal assists. We lose that amount of goals now by not having him there. Who's going to make up those goals? Crisp and Greenwood both have good highlight reels where you see them kick goals. Both kick long and have a nice left foot. But both have a less than average kicking efficiency, meaning their delivery into the forward line may not get to their team mate. In today's AFL footy, a misdirected kick means the ball rebounds up the other end, often resulting in a goal. We don't have the cover either for players who misdirect by foot. Toovey, Sinclair, Langdon and Adams aren't exactly good kicks either.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:41 pm

it is soon going to be a myth that sinclair's disposal by foot is poor.

beams doesn't have the greatest disposal efficiency and is well below the elite midfielders. lots of his kicks were shunting the ball forward without much thought.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:28 pm

John Wren wrote:

beams doesn't have the greatest disposal efficiency and is well below the elite midfielders. lots of his kicks were shunting the ball forward without much thought.

That's true to a point but Beams knew how to kick a goal.

Sinkers developed a false reputation because he kicked a few clangers & missed some easily gotton shots early in his career. However, I thought his disposal was a lot better than his ill deserved reputation.

Medhurst was wonderful a lot of the time. Tough, great mark, looked for others & pretty dependable shot for goal.

I'd like someone of a similar ilk.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:

That's true to a point but Beams knew how to kick a goal.

Sinkers developed a false reputation because he kicked a few clangers & missed some easily gotton shots early in his career. However, I thought his disposal was a lot better than his ill deserved reputation.

Medhurst was wonderful a lot of the time. Tough, great mark, looked for others & pretty dependable shot for goal.

I'd like someone of a similar ilk.

Last time I watched Sinclair he was playing off the half back line and still missing targets.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Nah, sorry, with the tats, the laconic smile, and the bad boy attitude, Swannie just has to have the best scoring power

Err, umm, wrong thread?

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Who in our team can run, carry and kick a goal from 50m?

Harry rarely. Goldsack rarely. Pendlebury sometimes. Swan occasionally. We don't have many goalkickers. We need to draft classy goalkickers who can kick 45m+ on the run. Not much spark or flair in our team. It is one of THE most boring teams in teh comp. at the moment. Where are the Didaks, Neon Leons, Medhursts, etc.? Who in our team puts bums on seats these days?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This is why Bucks and Paul Williams were so good, pitty they didn't have the team to back them up at the time, willo was deadly on the run from 50+.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:37 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

Lack of skills is a bigger concern IMO, we're forced to work our asses off for every goal while the likes of Hawthorn just do it so easily due to their skill level.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Lack of skills is a bigger concern IMO, we're forced to work our asses off for every goal while the likes of Hawthorn just do it so easily due to their skill level.

I disagree on both counts. Hawthorn were one of the worst ranked sides for delivery into the 50 this season, they just get it there more than most. And Hawthorn is an example, but not of skills, their improved running ability is why they have become a better team over the last few years. Skills are important, but hardly of prime importance and ours are not as bad as they seem nor Hawthorn's as good as they seem. To function as a team all over the ground and have each line interconnect, your players need to be able to run from end to end. It's the basis for everything else that happens. It improves your scoring power, defensive power and yes your skills. Get that right and everything else falls into place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: