Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scoring power

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 pm
Post subject: Scoring powerReply with quote

In 2008, Malcolm Blight described Collingwood (immediately before a 100 point demolition of the Wiggles) as having the best four small forwards in the Game (then Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Thomas). That day, the 4 kicked 14 of 27 Collingwood goals.

In more recent times, I have been wondering what happened to the big spread of goalkickers Collingwood usually had in 2010 and 2011.

Going back over some stats, I noticed the following:

1. In the first 8 rounds of 2010, between one-half and two-thirds of the goals in each game came from players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2012 or 2013 (Medhurst, Lockyer, Fraser Davis, Didak, O'Bree etc).

2. Looking at the 2010 finals (by which time, Medders, Tarks, Fraser and OB were not in the team), in the 3 wins (ie, ignoring the draw, when Collingwood only managed 9 goals), about a third of the goals in each game were contributed by players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2013.

3. Looking at the 2011 finals, the position was that at least half of all Collingwood's finals goals came from such players (Krak was the biggest of those contributors, of course).

4. Looking at the side which took the park against Freo last week, only 2 players (Cloke, average a whisker under 1.7) and the Krak (Collingwood average of about 1.5) kick more than 1 goal per game. Lynch has a good career average but hasn't yet delivered anything like it at Collingwood.

5. None of the new small forwards in last week's match (Kennedy, Mooney, Dwyer, Elliott) has a goal per game average significantly over three-quarters of a goal per game.

6. By contrast, the Hawthorn team which flogged us earlier this year had Franklin (3.24 average), Breust (1.96), Roughead (1.85) and Gunston (1.69 - but even better at Hawthorn) with goal averages as good as or better than our best on the park last week. There are then other players (Hale, Hawthorn average of 1) and Rioli (1.33) and Smith (0.95) who do, roughly speaking, a goal per game or better.

Of course, such comparisons are of limited utility - one might, for example, point out that Hawthorn has a higher-scoring style of game (although that may also be a chicken and egg question). But, they do, perhaps, offer at least a part of the explanation for why Collingwood has found it very difficult to kick a winning score against the best opposition this year. If Hawthorn has its best 7 goal-kickers from round 2 on the park, it can reasonably expect 12 goals from them on average each game before worrying about what the other 15 players can contribute. By contrast, if Collingwood puts its best 7 goal-kickers from the Freo game on the park, it can expect about 6 or 7 goals from them.

Food for thought.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was discussing this with my old man the other day. Part of the reason the pies were so dangerous in 2010/11 was because of our huge spread of goal kickers. Our inside 50 delivery was to the best option, unlike the "get it to Cloke at all costs" type delivery we seem to have now.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Who in our team can run, carry and kick a goal from 50m?

Harry rarely. Goldsack rarely. Pendlebury sometimes. Swan occasionally. We don't have many goalkickers. We need to draft classy goalkickers who can kick 45m+ on the run. Not much spark or flair in our team. It is one of THE most boring teams in teh comp. at the moment. Where are the Didaks, Neon Leons, Medhursts, etc.? Who in our team puts bums on seats these days?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The-Den Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Who in our team can run, carry and kick a goal from 50m?

Harry rarely. Goldsack rarely. Pendlebury sometimes. Swan occasionally. We don't have many goalkickers. We need to draft classy goalkickers who can kick 45m+ on the run. Not much spark or flair in our team. It is one of THE most boring teams in teh comp. at the moment. Where are the Didaks, Neon Leons, Medhursts, etc.? Who in our team puts bums on seats these days?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Hopefully Clinton Young can provide this. If he evers gets on the park haha.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

But even Clinton Young only averages a whisker over a goal a game (60 goals from 116 career matches). He's only once kicked three goals in a game.
Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:52 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
But even Clinton Young only averages a whisker over a goal a game (60 goals from 116 career matches). He's only once kicked three goals in a game.

My maths must be really shit for to me these figures equate to a little over half a goal a game.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 am

Arch@M32 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

My maths must be really shit for to me these figures equate to a little over half a goal a game.

Yeah was wondering how that works.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 am

It's simple: we need to stop recruiting point kickers and start recruiting goal kickers. Way too many point kickers in our side.

Last edited by Tannin on Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 am

Yes, folks, it was a typo. I obviously meant that Young averages "a whisker over half a goal" per game. The entire point of starting this thread was to identify some stats which indicate that we don't have many guys who even average a goal per game.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 am

The answer is simple and his name is Tyson Goldsack.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

Tannin wrote:
It's simple: we need to stop recruiting point kickers and start recruiting goal kickers. Way too many point kickers in our side.

I agree. Watching the first half again this morning, the first quarter could easily have returned 8 or 9 Collingwood goals (that is, 8.4 or 9.3) if the 50/50 chances had been taken.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:28 am

On the positive side, there were 8 goalkickers last night against Geelong and 4 of them had multiples - given that Cloke wasn't one of them, that was an excellent return for effort.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Prompted by something John Wren said about our goal-kicking mid-fielders in the Beams thread, I thought I'd bump this thread from 2013 by adding the response I gave in that other (somewhat meandering) Beams thread. It's intended to provide a discussion point without the need to (a) blame the coach; or (b) blame the coach.

Pies4shaw wrote:
John Wren wrote:
John Wren wrote:
av. of a bit over one goal a game. would we even notice?

just did some quick research, of pendles, swans, sidey and beams only beams has a goal kcking average above one per game. this surprised me. further to this, fyfe, selwood and co av. approx one goal per a game.

At the risk of inadvertently starting an intelligent discussion about who will kick Collingwood's goals, I am going to respond by quoting myself from May of 2013:

Pies4shaw wrote:
In 2008, Malcolm Blight described Collingwood (immediately before a 100 point demolition of the Wiggles) as having the best four small forwards in the Game (then Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Thomas). That day, the 4 kicked 14 of 27 Collingwood goals.

In more recent times, I have been wondering what happened to the big spread of goalkickers Collingwood usually had in 2010 and 2011.

Going back over some stats, I noticed the following:

1. In the first 8 rounds of 2010, between one-half and two-thirds of the goals in each game came from players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2012 or 2013 (Medhurst, Lockyer, Fraser Davis, Didak, O'Bree etc).

2. Looking at the 2010 finals (by which time, Medders, Tarks, Fraser and OB were not in the team), in the 3 wins (ie, ignoring the draw, when Collingwood only managed 9 goals), about a third of the goals in each game were contributed by players who have left or have been largely unavailable in 2013.

3. Looking at the 2011 finals, the position was that at least half of all Collingwood's finals goals came from such players (Krak was the biggest of those contributors, of course).

4. Looking at the side which took the park against Freo last week, only 2 players (Cloke, average a whisker under 1.7) and the Krak (Collingwood average of about 1.5) kick more than 1 goal per game. Lynch has a good career average but hasn't yet delivered anything like it at Collingwood.

5. None of the new small forwards in last week's match (Kennedy, Mooney, Dwyer, Elliott) has a goal per game average significantly over three-quarters of a goal per game.

6. By contrast, the Hawthorn team which flogged us earlier this year had Franklin (3.24 average), Breust (1.96), Roughead (1.85) and Gunston (1.69 - but even better at Hawthorn) with goal averages as good as or better than our best on the park last week. There are then other players (Hale, Hawthorn average of 1) and Rioli (1.33) and Smith (0.95) who do, roughly speaking, a goal per game or better.

Of course, such comparisons are of limited utility - one might, for example, point out that Hawthorn has a higher-scoring style of game (although that may also be a chicken and egg question). But, they do, perhaps, offer at least a part of the explanation for why Collingwood has found it very difficult to kick a winning score against the best opposition this year. If Hawthorn has its best 7 goal-kickers from round 2 on the park, it can reasonably expect 12 goals from them on average each game before worrying about what the other 15 players can contribute. By contrast, if Collingwood puts its best 7 goal-kickers from the Freo game on the park, it can expect about 6 or 7 goals from them.

Food for thought.

I mention this because I still think it's of critical importance to the team's improvement - I accept, of course, that to some extent good goal-kicking results are a consequence of good team play but I think it's very important to have a few players that the opposition has to watch closely around goals.

By way of update to my point 5, above, Elliott went at about 2 goals per game in 2014 (33 from 17 matches), as did Cloke (39 from 20), Beams went at his career average of a bit over 1 per game (23 from 19), Broomy kicked 9 from 8 and White kicked 20 from 18. Apart from Gault, who only made a cameo appearance, no-one on the list went at a goal a game or better in 2014. Reid probably would have (he kicked 25 from 22 games in 2013 but, of course, didn't play forward the whole time) but we really need to develop some forwards who hit the scoreboard (metaphorically speaking - we have a few too many who can hit it actually when they're supposed to be shooting for goal) more consistently.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I find it hard (nigh impossible) to separate scoring power from team performance. When the team is going well there are a lot of easy goals and the goal scoring average of all players will increase. So I think it's less about bringing in goal kickers and more about lifting team performance. Chicken? Egg? I don't know.

Having said that, I do think the loss of Wellingham and Thomas particularly has hurt us. They are attacking midfielders who can generate goals that other players can't. Beams is a bit different for mine he kicks goals but I feel it's more about where he's allowed to play, there's nothing in particular about his game that is dangerous, unlike say a Sidebottom who's a much better goal scorer but spends more time running up and down the ground.

The loss of Lumumba robs us of another attacking midfielder. This is offset by bringing in Varcoe who lacks some of H's high X factor but is more controlled and will almost certainly hit the scoreboard more often. I think his signing was essential, we just could not continue to lose these types without replacement.

I think our team could do with more pace and particularly more creativity. But in the modern game it's the running power that gets you more goals than anything, and they're the kind of goals that anyone can kick. Our lack of running power is our most critical weakness and needs to be improved. Varcoe, Crisp and also Greenwood are useful additions to this end as is the loss of Beams.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm

It's clear a team does not need a dominant full forward to kick a bag of goals to win a Premiership.

At half time in this year's Granny, with the game already won by the rampaging Hawks, how many goals had Roughead kicked? I'll tell you how many.....zilch, zero, no goals! A team needs a spread of goal kickers, and small/medium forwards as well as goal kicking midfielders are what's needed. Next year I expect to see Swanny, Sidebottom, Broomhead, Elliott, Kennedy, Faslolo and Freeman to all become regular goal kickers spending time up forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: