Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:

One thing is certain, though. Leigh Brown's quality and versatility were greatly under-rated. There aren't too many 200+ game 2nd ruckmen to be taken as a late draft pick who can kick 4 or 5 goals from CHF on a good day, take Jonathan Brown (when he used to be able to play football) to the cleaners at CHB, run down and catch a Footscray mid-field star in a final and then physically terrorise the St Vomit back-line in a Grand Final. It's not that Brown could do one thing brilliantly. It's rather that he could do a whole lot of things to at least "good ordinary" standard. The problem with filling his "role" is that it takes a very special tall, strong athlete to do it. There isn't really a Leigh Brown type on the Collingwood list. There are plenty of players who can do better than Leigh one or two of the things he could do but I can't think of anyone who can do them all.

This. Leigh Brown is gone and the so-called Leigh Brown role went with him. Far better to build game plans around the personnel we have. Well here's hoping..

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

One thing is certain, though. Leigh Brown's quality and versatility were greatly under-rated. There aren't too many 200+ game 2nd ruckmen to be taken as a late draft pick who can kick 4 or 5 goals from CHF on a good day, take Jonathan Brown (when he used to be able to play football) to the cleaners at CHB, run down and catch a Footscray mid-field star in a final and then physically terrorise the St Vomit back-line in a Grand Final. It's not that Brown could do one thing brilliantly. It's rather that he could do a whole lot of things to at least "good ordinary" standard. The problem with filling his "role" is that it takes a very special tall, strong athlete to do it. There isn't really a Leigh Brown type on the Collingwood list. There are plenty of players who can do better than Leigh one or two of the things he could do but I can't think of anyone who can do them all.

This. Leigh Brown is gone and the so-called Leigh Brown role went with him. Far better to build game plans around the personnel we have. Well here's hoping..

I still recall the acres of posts from the usual moaning minnie suspects about how useless LB was, and what a clueless coach Malty was for selecting him. Where are they now, etc ?

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Mugwump wrote:

I still recall the acres of posts from the usual moaning minnie suspects about how useless LB was, and what a clueless coach Malty was for selecting him. Where are they now, etc ?

Demanding Eddie sack Buckley or demanding Eddie resign or demanding Eddie and Buckley sack Maxwell and then resign
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Mugwump wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I thought he was going to be good for us from his first game in the Black and White. Not many others can say that.

That said chasing the "Leigh Brown Role" has always been a fool's errand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: