Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Three talls is one tall too many. Some sides seem to be able to field three big men up front, some sides just look hopelessly slow and top heavy when they try it. We are one of that second sort.

Q makes an excellent forward/2nd ruckman and has improved our side a lot. Cloke is the best contested mark in football, but you can't ever rely on him to kick you to victory. Sometimes Cloke boots 6.1, sometimes he boots 1.4 and two OOF. You get what you get. But he always takes pressure off the other forwards ...and if they are good enough to do something with their opportunities, we win. Simple as that.

A good big man, in short, is not our problem. Our problem is to find good talent to go around our two big men. No, I don't mean unreliable miracle goal sneaks like Krak or Didak, I mean week in and week out hard-working mediums who can play tall, mark, kick, and apply pressure, pressure, pressure.

Luckily, we have not just one but two of them: their names are T. Goldsack and B. Macaffer and they are the unglamourous but vital keys to our success.

Alongside them it is essential that we play two quality smalls with great ability to apply pressure and at least some ability to crumb. Candidates for the small forward berth are Eliott, Sinclair (those two are my first choices, long-term), Blair, Fasolo, Didak, Krak, Kennedy, Broomhead, Dwyer, and one or two others.

Big men, we need a quality ruckman (Jolly when fit is fine), plus Cloke and Lynch. No side can afford to ignore those two, and most sides feel compelled to give them too much attention. This is good! Too much attention to Cloke means - if our forward setup is any good at all - goals leaking out to Goldsack and 'Caff and also to our smalls and midfielders.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:41 am

stui magpie wrote:
Goldsack has been the 3rd tall forward, but is a tall forward in height only. He plays as a mid forward but adds serious speed and forward pressure.

Jackson Paine is the man, but he has gone backward in the VFL from last year from what I've seen. He seems to be trying too hard and has concrete hands, poor judgement in the air and can't kick. If he gets his shit together he could be the balance.

Looking ahead, considering Lnch has 2-3 years max, the options are Grundy, Richmond and Gault.

Shit, Stui. That's an awful lot of shit the young bloke's gotta get together before he can become the lynchpin to our premiership challenge.

Big T 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
Goldsack has been the 3rd tall forward, but is a tall forward in height only. He plays as a mid forward but adds serious speed and forward pressure.

Jackson Paine is the man, but he has gone backward in the VFL from last year from what I've seen. He seems to be trying too hard and has concrete hands, poor judgement in the air and can't kick. If he gets his shit together he could be the balance.

Looking ahead, considering Lnch has 2-3 years max, the options are Grundy, Richmond and Gault.

Gone backwards . Well those highly paid development coaches better pull their fingers out.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 am

What'sinaname wrote:
If we think we need a Leigh Brown role, then we're destined to drift down the ladder. The game's changed. Geelong and Sydney have won flags since 2010 without Leigh Brown.

for the "leigh brown" role to work we also need the "chris dawes" role in the structure. we now have neither.

ip address 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:52 am
Post subject: Leigh Brown RoleReply with quote

With no offence to the player intended but I haven't seen anything from Paine to suggest he could play the role. Unfortunately, I think it's delist at the end of the season.

Keeffe is the person who should be tried for the mythical Leigh Brown role or as suggested by stui magpies, Gault, Richmond, Grundy when they're fit and ready.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 am
Post subject: Re: Leigh Brown RoleReply with quote

ip address wrote:
With no offence to the player intended but I haven't seen anything from Paine to suggest he could play the role. Unfortunately, I think it's delist at the end of the season.

Keeffe is the person who should be tried for the mythical Leigh Brown role or as suggested by stui magpies, Gault, Richmond, Grundy when they're fit and ready.
As I said a couple of pages back, Paine needs time. He does look good in patches but he is too inconsistent in the course of a VFL game to bring up to AFL level in a key forward position.

As I also said earlier (on Defender's topic), there isn't a "Leigh Brown" role in the team anymore because the coach doesn't play that team structure. The team used to play a FF, CHF and resting 2nd ruck. Now it plays a FF and a resting ruck (Lynch). Hence, as I understand it, Dawes' exit. It was Dawes or Lynch for 2nd ruck/CHF. No room for both.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 am

King Monkey wrote:
I actually agree with Defender to an extent on this one.

I was hoping we were chasing Stefan Martin rather than Q.Lynch over the off-season, as he has more football in front of him, and is more versatile.

The point of the OP I think - is that our forward line suffers big-time when Lynch has to go into the Ruck, and he is a trier that can give the #1 Ruckman a rest, rather than someone that will win the position when on-ball on most occasions.
The quicker Paine comes along the better.......

Seriously.... Stefan Martin... can't even get a game for Brisbane...
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm

jackcass wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

I was hoping we were chasing Stefan Martin rather than Q.Lynch over the off-season, as he has more football in front of him, and is more versatile.

The point of the OP I think - is that our forward line suffers big-time when Lynch has to go into the Ruck, and he is a trier that can give the #1 Ruckman a rest, rather than someone that will win the position when on-ball on most occasions.

On top of the fact he has a name like a fluffy ski instructor!

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 pm

3rd degree wrote:
jackcass wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

Or a Toorak hairdresser
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:48 pm

When he returns from injury, Goldsack is out 3rd tall. He is really a mid anyway, so that gives us plenty of flexibility and mobility.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
When he returns from injury, Goldsack is out 3rd tall. He is really a mid anyway, so that gives us plenty of flexibility and mobility.

I'd still prefer an additional 3rd mobile tall in the forward line, Goldy as the 4th tall/defensive forward. Gives us so many more options going forward. Sadly, current options on the list either not performing or on the return from injury.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Leigh Brown has singlehandedly ruined the Collingwood football club.

Ever since he retired, we have sought the illustrious but impossible to find "Leigh Brown role". We have ruined three seasons chasing this role.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:32 pm

jackcass wrote:
3rd degree wrote:
jackcass wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

Or a Toorak hairdresser

Lol.
He's injured at the moment by the way......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:32 pm

^

No, supporters have wasted energy talking about it.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:06 am

See how we go tonight with the 2 rucks and 2 forwards. Although the way clokey is kicking it might be better for him to play CHF and Lynch out of the square. Don't think it worked against the Saints but at least Bucks is giving it another try before putting it away for good.

The weather might force Witts out for a smaller running type.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: