Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

why isn't goldsack leigh brown or is he just goldie?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Well, because he's 4 inches or so shorter, 10 kgs (or more) lighter, half as good a mark and can't play a key position. Other than that, they're identical.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Biggest problem we have at the moment is readiness and availability of options. The club has recruited to address this issue but we have players on the return from injury (Grundy & Keeffe), and players who are learning their craft (Richmond, Gault, & Paine). All of whom could play that 3rd tall forward occasional run in the ruck role without reducing mobility.

Maybe this week pick someone like Gualt and throw him forward. I know he's been playing down back at VFL but at this stage there isn't a lot to lose.

And I certainly don't think Goldsack fills the brief. He's more productive & dangerous as a 4th tall or defensive forward.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:31 pm

What's Grundy's speed like? Could be a viable 3rd tall option by the end of the year if he gets his body right maybe?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Stupied wrote:
What's Grundy's speed like? Could be a viable 3rd tall option by the end of the year if he gets his body right maybe?

Only seen a highlights package so hard to say. Seems more like a Vickery or Westhoff type than a Jolly type.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

I actually agree with Defender to an extent on this one.

I was hoping we were chasing Stefan Martin rather than Q.Lynch over the off-season, as he has more football in front of him, and is more versatile.

The point of the OP I think - is that our forward line suffers big-time when Lynch has to go into the Ruck, and he is a trier that can give the #1 Ruckman a rest, rather than someone that will win the position when on-ball on most occasions.
The quicker Paine comes along the better.......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 pm

If we think we need a Leigh Brown role, then we're destined to drift down the ladder. The game's changed. Geelong and Sydney have won flags since 2010 without Leigh Brown.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, because he's 4 inches or so shorter, 10 kgs (or more) lighter, half as good a mark and can't play a key position. Other than that, they're identical.

You forgot the curly vs straight hair

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm

^^^ Are we sure Goldie's is natural?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

King Monkey wrote:
I actually agree with Defender to an extent on this one.

I was hoping we were chasing Stefan Martin rather than Q.Lynch over the off-season, as he has more football in front of him, and is more versatile.

The point of the OP I think - is that our forward line suffers big-time when Lynch has to go into the Ruck, and he is a trier that can give the #1 Ruckman a rest, rather than someone that will win the position when on-ball on most occasions.
The quicker Paine comes along the better.......

is the problem that Jolly is not fit enough these days to rest forward? I agree that we are too thin when Lynch is rucking.

Not sure there is only one model that works though but we do not look too potent at present. Cats have rotated Podsy, Taylor, Lonergan, Blicsav through the forward line at times. Haven't had a star 2nd forward but have got more goals from their mid-sized players than we have. In fact Geelong don't have anyone in the Top 10 goalkickers (Hawkins 15th and Chistensen next at 26th and rank dead last for clearances) and are winning every game.

Hawks have Buddy, Roughy, Gunston, Hale and Bailey in the same side and mid size guys like Breust & Lewis who can mark and kick a goal too. They're good enough to win games, yet Geelong exposed them for speed in Round 1 with fingers pointed at Sewell, Mitchell, Hodge and these one-paced players.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm

One thing's for sure we need to get more reward for our efforts up the field, i haven't looked up the stat but i'd guess our inside 50 to goal ratio would be very poor ATM.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Just looked up the I50 team stats, we're 11th, Brisbane and the GC have had more I50s than us this year, we're also ranked 11th for goals kicked, we're 15th in clearances, but the Cats are 18th believe it or not, not sure what to make of that.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

One thing is certain, though. Leigh Brown's quality and versatility were greatly under-rated. There aren't too many 200+ game 2nd ruckmen to be taken as a late draft pick who can kick 4 or 5 goals from CHF on a good day, take Jonathan Brown (when he used to be able to play football) to the cleaners at CHB, run down and catch a Footscray mid-field star in a final and then physically terrorise the St Vomit back-line in a Grand Final. It's not that Brown could do one thing brilliantly. It's rather that he could do a whole lot of things to at least "good ordinary" standard. The problem with filling his "role" is that it takes a very special tall, strong athlete to do it. There isn't really a Leigh Brown type on the Collingwood list. There are plenty of players who can do better than Leigh one or two of the things he could do but I can't think of anyone who can do them all.

Some valid points there P4S
LBrown was originally a first round draft pick ( Top ten IIRC)
Not many 199 game KPP are available in any year.
Those who though Dawes would easily fit the role forgot how little experience Dawes had in those roles.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Number 5 in the 1999 draft, I think?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Goldsack has been the 3rd tall forward, but is a tall forward in height only. He plays as a mid forward but adds serious speed and forward pressure.

Jackson Paine is the man, but he has gone backward in the VFL from last year from what I've seen. He seems to be trying too hard and has concrete hands, poor judgement in the air and can't kick. If he gets his shit together he could be the balance.

Looking ahead, considering Lnch has 2-3 years max, the options are Grundy, Richmond and Gault.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: