Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
It’s not about evil, and to what extent it’s about religion I expect it’s just a function of the parents’ mental disorders, diagnosed or otherwise. For better or for worse, our society permits even the most troubled and pathological people to care for children, and there is little in the way of oversight over a lifetime of parenting – particularly for those who seek to live off the grid. It’s very easy for parents to feel isolated and unsupported in our atomised societies, and likewise to isolate themselves if they so choose.

Mind you, I’m not saying we need more of a nanny state apparatus looking after families; perhaps the exceptionally rare horror case like this is the trade-off we need to make in order to maintain the family’s autonomy (and certain forms of pluralism, like home-schooling). While I’d welcome useful and specifically targeted policy responses to this, we also have to accept that there are some things that can’t be fixed.

I agree, but perhaps where home schooling is adopted, 1-2-1 welfare interviews should be put in place annually, with a view to picking up abuse. Is that nanny state ? Perhaps, but it’d cost little (and could be funded by the parents opting for home schooling, not to mention winding back some of the hyperactive state we have in other places ), and it would probably pick up the more extreme forms of child abuse. It’s really a matter of crime detection, which i’d put under police patrol.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Absolutely we don't need more nanny state bullshit. There will always be outliers no matter what you do, making laws and rules for them just messes with the 99% of people trying to do the right thing.

New avatar I see.

Almost there.

That reminds me, I need to buy some super phosphate and nitromethane.

Cheers

Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
It’s not about evil, and to what extent it’s about religion I expect it’s just a function of the parents’ mental disorders, diagnosed or otherwise. For better or for worse, our society permits even the most troubled and pathological people to care for children, and there is little in the way of oversight over a lifetime of parenting – particularly for those who seek to live off the grid. It’s very easy for parents to feel isolated and unsupported in our atomised societies, and likewise to isolate themselves if they so choose.

Mind you, I’m not saying we need more of a nanny state apparatus looking after families; perhaps the exceptionally rare horror case like this is the trade-off we need to make in order to maintain the family’s autonomy (and certain forms of pluralism, like home-schooling). While I’d welcome useful and specifically targeted policy responses to this, we also have to accept that there are some things that can’t be fixed.

I agree, but perhaps where home schooling is adopted, 1-2-1 welfare interviews should be put in place annually, with a view to picking up abuse. Is that nanny state ? Perhaps, but it’d cost little (and could be funded by the parents opting for home schooling, not to mention winding back some of the hyperactive state we have in other places ), and it would probably pick up the more extreme forms of child abuse. It’s really a matter of crime detection, which i’d put under police patrol.
that’s a bloody good idea, no brainer really
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 am

Just a note: home schooling seems to be much more common (among regular folk) in N. America than in Oz. Not sure about e.g. UK...
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 am

K wrote:
Just a note: home schooling seems to be much more common (among regular folk) in N. America than in Oz. Not sure about e.g. UK...

It’s not unheard of in the UK, but very rare, K. No law against it, but educational attainment is closely monitored by the Dept of Ed.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am

K wrote:

Here there’s a lot more “distance ed” (where a syllabus is delivered and students assessed by teachers who work from a school that the students do not routinely attend for classes) than real home schooling. Distance ed is available in a broad range of circumstances. So, eg, one of my children did distance ed whilst living virtually in the CBD. It’s much harder to opt out because parents are, in effect, conscientious objectors. I don’t consider that any such choice should be available. If people want to give their children special religious tuition or the like, they should do it outside school hours. That way the human potential of their children will not be fundamentally compromised solely because Mum and Dad believe the universe is run by a special fairy.

I’m not saying that children shouldn’t have the opportunity of religious instruction in their own time if that’s what their parents would like - but there is no justification at all for letting children be ignorated by being excluded from receiving a basic education. The “choice” to impose that on one’s child is inherently suspect and, to the extent it is permitted, the option should be a big red flag to the child protection authorities that potential crackpots are at work.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:45 am

Home schooled kids do better on pretty much every metric and test available. You'd think there'd be at least some accountability or testing though that would pick up when "home schooling" means abuse or neglect; like having to report test results or something.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 am

Wokko wrote:
Home schooled kids do better on pretty much every metric and test available. You'd think there'd be at least some accountability or testing though that would pick up when "home schooling" means abuse or neglect; like having to report test results or something.

I am surprised at that, Wokko, but open minded if that’s what the evidence says. I’d have thought that School teaches you about things other than formal knowledge - how to live in an institution, how to deal with difficult people (or at least be prepared to meet them), and of course how to make friends. They’re a bit of a template for working life, most of which will be conducted in organisations. So I would expect home schooling to have a social cost, which might be outweighed by the better education you probably get by avoiding state employees, many of whom don’t really want to be there, flailing to stay afloat amid our society’s chaotic loss of authority.

I can imagine that some, per the post above, want to forcibly grip every student within the tender maw of the caring state where they can be taught by state employees that human political power is the only imaginable basis for law, that our past was wicked until amended by the present enlightenment, that the gulag, the walled prison-state and the psychiatric ward were created by nasty conservatives, and that if the party says that I am holding up five fingers, then so I am.

This is why home schooling should always remain possible, as a small light of freedom when darkness falls at noon.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Better than what, at what and controlling for what variables?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

A couple of articles:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/homeschooled-kids-perform-better-in-naplan-report-20160204-gmlgu9.html

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/why-kids-should-get-homeschooled-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Statistics

https://www.nheri.org/research-facts-on-homeschooling/
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

This, from Ray's blurb, is fascinating:

"The most common reasons given for homeschooling are the following:
•customize or individualize the curriculum and learning environment for each child,
•accomplish more academically than in schools,
•use pedagogical approaches other than those typical in institutional schools,
•enhance family relationships between children and parents and among siblings,
•provide guided and reasoned social interactions with youthful peers and adults,
•provide a safer environment for children and youth, because of physical violence, drugs and alcohol, psychological abuse, racism, and improper and unhealthy sexuality associated with institutional schools, and
•teach and impart a particular set of values, beliefs, and worldview to children and youth."

Some of those motives are inherently likely to lead to home-teaching strategies that will result in better outcomes than a school-based education might for the same kids. The first three, for example, reflect reasonably closely the reasons we my daughter was taught though Distance Ed. 5 has obvious merit - mother cats don't teach their kittens to be cats by surrounding them with kittens. Putting a whole lot of dysfunctional kids in the one room so they learn fro each other is hardly likely to teach them to function effectively as adults. People who give 4 and 7 as reasons are likely the ones who need careful vetting and routine checking by the child protection folk. 6 I have no view about, because it is actually a bundle of very disparate concepts.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Is there any assessment of the capability of the "teachers" at home schools?

Just because you've been capable of reproduction doesn't mean you have the smallest fkn clue on how to raise or teach children.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

This is a subject I have some amount of firsthand experience in.

I well believe the statistics about homeschoolers doing well academically. This occurs for a number of reasons: 1) one-on-one focus, which of course no school could ever provide; 2) efficient time management, so that a school day can easily be squeezed into three or four hours with the same (or better) results; 3) the dedication of parents who choose to go down this path (if you’re lazy or disengaged, you’re unlikely to want to devote your entire waking life to your children’s education). There are also some peripheral benefits such as an absence of bullying, negative distracting influences and, of course, bureaucracy. And there are plenty of resources, textbooks, curricula and so on for parents wishing to go down this path; a teaching degree is far from an essential requirement.

That’s not to say that homeschooling works for everyone or always results in academic achievement. Some kids simply need the structure of a classroom, just as some parents, no matter their intention, really aren’t cut out for it. Even looking at my own siblings (all of whom, like me, have been homeschooled), there’s been a sharp decline in academic performance after the eldest four – only one of the next three have completed year 12, and the other chose not to sit the AST (the ACT version of VCE exams). I’m not sure that they would have done better at school, but it seems clear that homeschooling didn’t do all that much good for them. But on average, the statistics don’t lie, and Wokko’s claim is spot on.

But even for those like me who had very positive educational outcomes, there are still serious drawbacks to homeschooling. Nothing can replace the real-world education of interacting with peers five days a week throughout the school year, and I’ve long since concluded that that’s an essential part of growing up. In contrast, with homeschooling, there’s little social contact, which invariably turns homeschooled children into weird loners. That’s a heavy price to pay for getting good marks in year 11 or 12 or at university, which itself is no guarantee of success in later life.

I do also concur with P4S that the motivations of homeschooling parents can often be questionable; my parents’ goal, after all, was pretty explicitly religious indoctrination. I don’t know if the fact that it didn’t work particularly well is some kind of unintended vindication of their methods; in any case, there are plenty of homeschooled kids out there who really do drink the Kool-Aid. But then, I sometimes wonder if there’s not something a little cultish about schools in general...

I think, ultimately, that no society has ever been worse off for permitting a bit of pluralism. So long as homeschooling families are registered and willing to undergo some basic annual standardised testing, one can at least be reasonably certain that serious neglect isn’t occurring. But I think I would resist attempts of governments to go too far in trying to micromanage such arrangements; beyond issues like discrimination and prejudice, that’s a good way to undermine regulation and send people underground.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 pm

^ it occurred to me several times that David is probably the best person to comment, and it was an interesting post.

My only query with Wokko’s “every metric and test available” was whether that was purple y academic tests and metrics, or whether social functioning was tested as well. After many years working with humans in the achievement of tasks in organisations , it’s clear to me that three fairly independent underlying domains make the most successful people at work - 1. intellect (and its attendant, knowledge) ; 2. interpersonal awareness /sensitivity ; and 3. drive. I wonder how home schoolers go on 2 and 3.

Really interesting the tail off in your siblings academic achievements, ?David. To what do you ascribe that ? Did the teaching methods change, was there more distraction in th household, did your parents lose interest ? Seems strange.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 pm

We home schooled our youngest child during primary school after total disillusionment from Catholic and government school education. Our system wasn't structured but our child learnt a helluva lot of stuff that is not taught in mainstream.

She completed secondary school at a state secondary college, attained a Diploma and today she was handed the keys to her first property at the age of 22. Quite proud of her in fact.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 241 of 277   

Jump to: