Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
From a food label:

CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER

Contents: peanuts (85%). vegetable oil.

WARNING: contains peanuts.

thats nuts!! Wink

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:41 pm

think positive wrote:
It must have been incredibly hard for Germany and Germans to get past what happened, without spending their lives apologizing for the "sins of the father."

My sister-in-law is German. This is something she posted on ANZAC Day. I find it really difficult to imagine not being proud of my country.

Quote:

It is strange being a German on ANZAC Day. My granddads fought on a different side of the war.

Only shamefully us Germans can list family members who fought in war. I am not taught in any way to be proud of war. So we don't celebrate. We also never sang the German anthem at school. We never even had assemblies either.

But yes, we learn about the war. Plenty of it. I grew up being taught about WWII and the Holocaust and lots of shame - 13 years of school life. Not so much about WWI - I guess because everything that came after was worse.

We grow up with shame, we learn shame, we get infiltrated feeling ashamed - being German. Being proud, you are being a Nazi. We are not proud.

I never visited my grand dad's war grave either. My mother's dad was killed in a battle field in France in WWII. But I don't march today with his medals. The swastika is a associated with Nazism. German law prohibits the display of a swastika.

But I love being German. And I am proud today. Maybe the years, maybe the distance made me re-program my thoughts. I am an Aussie too. And I love this country. So lest we forget!

If you do get to Germany one day Jo, definitely got to Berlin. It's my favourite city in the world. (Aside from Melbourne of course!)

#SIDEBYSIDE
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm

It's an interesting point there about not being able to commemorate the death of family members killed in the war. It kind of creates this de facto construct of 'good' and 'bad' soldiers, when really most German soldiers and most Australian soldiers in WW2 were nothing of the sort – just ordinary men serving their country. Does being on the wrong side make one's sacrifice less worthy?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 pm

I agree David, and truth is the nazis didn't give their own people much choice, deserters were killed not court martialed.

Mandy that brought tears to my eyes, just a terrible burden she doesn't deserve.

But then no one deserves to suffer for their parents crimes do they?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 am

The parents in law. I don't know how much I should be writing about them here, but suffice it to say that my partner was – with perfectly justifiable reason – at the police station today filing a missing persons report on them, while I was ringing around hospitals to see if they'd been admitted. Tonight, after days of silence with mounting concerns from family members regarding their whereabouts, not answering their phones, no-one knows where they've gone, in the middle of a holiday in Melbourne, Lola's mother casually informs her via Facebook Messenger that they've gone overseas.

I don't know what they're running from, or why they can't give her the most basic information so she doesn't have to worry that they're dead, but their behaviour is one big WTF for me.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:56 am

Gees david, I wondered why you have been so quiet, how awful for you all. I hope it's simply a case of lack of thought, rather than the more sinister alternative. Hugs to The missus especially, would be terrifying. Good luck with it mate. Xxx
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 am

Thanks! We really were starting to imagine the worst. I really do find their behaviour incomprehensible at times.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 pm

The bozos who beheaded the dinosaur models in Canberra and thus upsetting a lot of kids. Many years ago my Dad ran a TAB in Mooroolbark. A small park adjacent had a Humphrey bear seesaw.
Dad spotted 3 youths sawing his ears off and rang the cops. Shortly after the council came to fix it and the cops caught one of them (who stupidly took an ear to school and a teacher put him in)who dobbed his mates in. One parent came down to berate the old man who told him to piss off and go and ask the parents of the kids who used the park what they thought. When it got to court the parents complained the kids had nothing to do. (Like play sport, which they had ample opportunity). The magistrate solved that problem. Gave them community service for the next 3 months spending a one day a week cleaning and maintaining playgrounds in winter. The belligerent father was warned by the magistrate that if he continued harassing witnesses he would join them. They were also fined the cost of repair.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:52 pm

ronrat wrote:
The bozos who beheaded the dinosaur models in Canberra and thus upsetting a lot of kids. Many years ago my Dad ran a TAB in Mooroolbark. A small park adjacent had a Humphrey bear seesaw.
Dad spotted 3 youths sawing his ears off and rang the cops. Shortly after the council came to fix it and the cops caught one of them (who stupidly took an ear to school and a teacher put him in)who dobbed his mates in. One parent came down to berate the old man who told him to piss off and go and ask the parents of the kids who used the park what they thought. When it got to court the parents complained the kids had nothing to do. (Like play sport, which they had ample opportunity). The magistrate solved that problem. Gave them community service for the next 3 months spending a one day a week cleaning and maintaining playgrounds in winter. The belligerent father was warned by the magistrate that if he continued harassing witnesses he would join them. They were also fined the cost of repair.

Wish we had that kind of justice system now.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 am

Yep they can start with graffiti on trains and buildings.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am

David wrote:
Thanks! We really were starting to imagine the worst. I really do find their behaviour incomprehensible at times.

Have you considered they're agents of Mossad? Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

Anything's possible at this stage. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 pm

think positive wrote:

Isn't there enough of that without ordering people to do that for community service?
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Isn't there enough of that without ordering people to do that for community service?

Ha ha!

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

so a google engineer gets fired for being critical of the companies policies:
interesting how major outlets choose to do the story,

bloomberg :
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-08/google-firing-of-diversity-memo-writer-wins-praise-and-hostility

reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-google-diversity-idUSKBN1AO1WY

This is the actual memo the guy got fired for:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914586/Googles-Ideological-Echo-Chamber.pdf

The thing is there is nothing evil or unscientific about what he wrote, it just goes against the companies 'policies' and current politics to limit free speech in the work place.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 232 of 277   

Jump to: