Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I did find that article a bit alarming – although, after a week in which supposedly grown-up right-wing politicians and media outlets have been acting like oversensitive crybabies about an innocuous Anzac Day tweet, I think the 'snowflake' insult can easily go both ways.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:10 am

I vehemently disagreed with Yasmin Abdel Magied's post on ANZAC Day, but she had a right to say what she thought no matter how insensitive it came across. That's the price we pay for having free expression.

To be honest, I stopped taking her seriously when she said Islam was a "feminist religion" a few months back on Q&A.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:39 am

^ Ha, that was a classic. Laughing I can do better than that: I stopped taking her seriously when I first heard of her. But defence of free speech does, as they say, often require a passionate defence of annoying people.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 am

I don't think anyone said she should be locked up or stoned for saying it, but pretty much anything else is ok! Maybe her employer could get her a book on manners, etiquette, here's a start, 'how to win friends and influence people's she knew damn well it would piss people off, so let her face the consequences and if the ABC feel she has hurt their business, they should be able to punish her, as she is employed by them to speak to the public. If they stick up for her, then viewers have the right to turn the bitch off, and then the ratings drop.

DavI'd she must have known the reaction she would get, she can wear the damage.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 am

Civilians who die because of war are not actually as dead as people who are shipped off to do the killing but, tragically, die before they get all the grenade-lobbing out of their systems. Such a waste of talent, ambition and focus.

Sarin doesn't really kill you, either, unless you are in enemy uniform.

Surely, Ms Magpied understands this? What right has she to express some mild equivocation?

"Throw her in the moat - if she's a witch, she'll float".
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:39 am

Maybe she could go into bat for Buckley
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 pm

David wrote:
^ Ha, that was a classic. Laughing I can do better than that: I stopped taking her seriously when I first heard of her. But defence of free speech does, as they say, often require a passionate defence of annoying people.

I never took her seriously. Razz

personally i consider the people passionately defending her to be equally deluded as the people passionately attacking her.

She's a light weight airhead attention seeker. She has the right to say/post what she likes (I won't say thinks, that implies she's capable of that) and others have the right to disagree with what she says, and say so too.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 pm

The difference is that the people passionately attacking her are in charge of the country as opposed to writing think-pieces in The Guardian. That's a little scary.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Jezza wrote:
To be honest, I stopped taking her seriously when she said Islam was a "feminist religion" a few months back on Q&A.

Not a Jezza but THE

“Excuse me, Islam, to me, is one of the most... is THE most feminist religion, right?”, Abdel-Magied jumped in.

“We got equal rights well before the Europeans. We don’t take our husband’s last names because we ain’t their property, right?”

She should stop being an "activist" and take on stand up comedy - seems she has some great comic lines! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 pm

David wrote:
The difference is that the people passionately attacking her are in charge of the country as opposed to writing think-pieces in The Guardian. That's a little scary.

Putting the words "Think" and "the guardian" in the same sentence is just as scary. Razz

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Morrigu wrote:
DP Embarassed
Oops. Too much data.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Not a Jezza but THE

“Excuse me, Islam, to me, is one of the most... is THE most feminist religion, right?”, Abdel-Magied jumped in.

“We got equal rights well before the Europeans. We don’t take our husband’s last names because we ain’t their property, right?”

She should stop being an "activist" and take on stand up comedy - seems she has some great comic lines! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you for the correction, Morrigu Wink

I actually laughed out loud when I heard her make that nonsensical statement.

I cannot believe that no one on Q&A actually objected to her statement, but I guess with it being a leftie echo-chamber that was asking for too much.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Jezza wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Not a Jezza but THE

Thank you for the correction, Morrigu Wink

I actually laughed out loud when I heard her make that nonsensical statement.

I cannot believe that no one on Q&A actually objected to her statement, but I guess with it being a leftie echo-chamber that was asking for too much.

being born/raised in Australia, she obviously needs a reality check.

maybe a holiday to the birthplace of Islam, Saudi Arabia?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
being born/raised in Australia, she obviously needs a reality check.

maybe a holiday to the birthplace of Islam, Saudi Arabia?

Nah she's already had that at taxpayer expense! Rolling Eyes

Muslim activist Yassmin Abdel-Magied who recently came under fire for her 'disrespectful' Anzac Day comments went on a government-funded book tour of the Middle East which cost taxpayers more than $11,000.

The book tour in late 2016 took the ABC broadcaster to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Jordan, the West Bank, Israel, Egypt and Sudan and was paid for by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, The Australian reported.

The department has confirmed the Middle East visit cost $11,485, including Ms Abdel-Magied's travel at $3246.20, accommodation for $4605.87 and $3632.93 for 'incidentals'.

Yes sorry Daily Mail link because many others are paywalled!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4457578/Yassmin-Abdel-Magied-s-book-tour-cost-taxpayers-11-000.html#ixzz4fcpri8ky

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:11 pm

^ If that is true, it is truly sick-making. Enjoy paying your taxes as much as she enjoys traveling on them ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 220 of 277   

Jump to: