Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry about that! I haven't been ignoring you, just wanted a chance to sit down and give it a proper response.

Basically, I don't think your hypothetical can be achieved, because fewer working hours will mean job losses and that seems to be the biggest concern with automation; that we will end up with massive unemployment rates.

There are two questions raised in your post: a) whether this premise is actually true or not, and b) what to do if it is. On a), I can only say that it seems to be something that a lot of tech experts are taking quite seriously, and their reasoning seems plausible enough. Let's consider driverless cars, which are apparently going to be 25% of the vehicles on the road in ten years' time: that's going to mean a lot of taxi drivers are out of a job. Where will these people go? Where are all the vacant jobs waiting? Sure, we'll need people to look after the driverless cars systems, but there aren't going to be nearly as many jobs there as there were taxi drivers, and many drivers wouldn't be qualified for that kind of work anyway.

You can substitute cars for all the other fields that will be increasingly automated in the years to come. Shopping centre checkout workers, editors, translators... these jobs are all going and not coming back. Where will all the new jobs appear from to replace them?

Of course we've seen periods of rapid technological change before, but the hypothesis seems to be that this is different; that things are accelerating at a much faster pace than they ever were before. I'm just restating what many others have said.

If we accept that this is going to happen at least for the sake of the argument then our second problem is, how do we maintain a functional society with fewer overall working hours available?

So let's consider your hypothetical business. Functions A and B (say, working the till and producing certain materials) are no longer required, so it either employs fewer people or employs the same amount of people working reduced hours. This may be good news for the company as it can save on employment costs, but it's a problem for society because unless employees get a pay rise to make up for the loss of working hours it now has to deal with a lot more people who are not working enough or not working at all. So, to me, it's a problem with a range of fairly logical solutions: either the government supplements people's wages to make up for lost income, or a shorter work week is achieved through collective bargaining and the company pays employees the same for working less (thus rendering their net profit/loss for cutting available work hours negligible).

I'm not saying that that's a pleasant scenario for a business to contemplate or that there won't be teething pains along the way (some of which may include a dramatic increase in poverty before the government or FWC is forced to act). The point is, if the automation crisis is going to occur, as many think it will, then something will have to give. A four day work week may be one solution and if it isn't, what seems certain is that we'll need to think out of the box in one way or another.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 pm

It's always pretty ropey to make predictions, especially about situations which are historically novel. In truth, we do no know what the future holds as a result of this phase of technological evolution. However, I think this is an area where binary thinking is a bit misleading, and a range of effects will interact and play out in various unpredictable ways.

What we do know is that Productivity improvement increases the rate of profit. The profit is then distributed in several ways -

1. Lower hours for workers (eg the 5 day week and steady improvement in working hours)
2. Higher pay for workers - I would happily see a rising minimum wage pegged in some way to the degree of mechanisation in the economy overall.
3. Lower prices for goods (giving profit back to the customer, who is - more often than not - an ordinary worker)
4. Increased consumption arising from (2), leading to an increase in employment
5. Dividends for shareholders (often our pension funds, making earlier retirement possible)
6. New jobs in building, programming, and maintaining the machines, which will be far more plentiful than before.

All of the above will tend to absorb labour which is freed up and deployed for new ideas and new uses - such as aged care, health care, product design, further education, research, nature conservation, etc.

I am not sure that we are anywhere near the end of the human need to consume. The problem may be whether relatively low-skilled workers can gain employment, and I suppose that will get harder - but there are lots of areas where needs remain unmet. I doubt the machines pose as much challenge to the low-skill worker as globalisation and mass immigration has.

Should there be a four day week ? I think that is a matter that the labour market can determine, but reduced hours will no doubt be part of the mix of effects.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm

He looks a bit like Chris Dawes but I suspect hes likely a member of or associated with an organization starting with M and ending in D. from a country who had a visiting PM to Australia a few weeks later.

http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/mystery-gunman-walked-unchecked-in-bourke-street-mall-in-the-wake-of-massacre-20170321-gv2s4l.html

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 pm

My friend's daughter is heavily pregnant with twins ( she has had 2 previous twin pregnancies both which ended in stillborn bubs Crying or Very sad )

Last night she went to the GP to get a script and was assaulted by a scumbag with a baseball bat in the clinic who stole her script and attempted to steal her bag - but had to drop it when he had to press an exit button to get out!

He knocked a woman coming into the clinic over - she is now in hospital with a #NOF.

Thankfully she dropped to the floor and protected her belly so his hits didn't damage her horribly or her babies.

This is apparently what these scumbags are now doing - they make an appointment and listen - the mention of " pain relief" provides their targets.

Cops were great apparently and there is CCTV so hopefully they get the scumbag - mind you he will probably get bail - hell he was probably already on bail Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

WTF just WTF!!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:46 pm

Omg that is so bloody disgusting, that's should be attempted murder, who the hell attacks a pregnant woman?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 pm

And so disgusting that's should be attempted murder who the hell attacks a pregnant woman is Omg that.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Morrigu wrote:
My friend's daughter is heavily pregnant with twins ( she has had 2 previous twin pregnancies both which ended in stillborn bubs Crying or Very sad )

Last night she went to the GP to get a script and was assaulted by a scumbag with a baseball bat in the clinic who stole her script and attempted to steal her bag - but had to drop it when he had to press an exit button to get out!

He knocked a woman coming into the clinic over - she is now in hospital with a #NOF.

Thankfully she dropped to the floor and protected her belly so his hits didn't damage her horribly or her babies.

This is apparently what these scumbags are now doing - they make an appointment and listen - the mention of " pain relief" provides their targets.

Cops were great apparently and there is CCTV so hopefully they get the scumbag - mind you he will probably get bail - hell he was probably already on bail Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

WTF just WTF!!!!

prick wants pain relief tablets so he belts a pregnant woman?

Give him some pain, and no pain relief. 4 broken limbs plus a broken jaw should do for a start

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am

OMG, what the hell is wrong with people??

Hope she's ok, and the babies. Geez she's had a tough run becoming a Mum! Fingers crossed for a healthy delivery.

I'd like to know how someone sits in a clinic waiting room 'hiding' a baseball bat though... what were the staff doing to not notice that?

The world's f**ked.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am

luvdids wrote:

Hope she's ok, and the babies. Geez she's had a tough run becoming a Mum! Fingers crossed for a healthy delivery.

I'd like to know how someone sits in a clinic waiting room 'hiding' a baseball bat though... what were the staff doing to not notice that?

The world's f**ked.

Well they probably noticed he had eyes like marty Feldman and had difficulty walking Wink

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 am

luvdids wrote:

The world's f**ked.

She has indeed!!

Had it down his leg inside track pants - he had an appointment not sure if it was his name or he used someone else's. This is their current ploy it seems - she is a nurse and sensed something NQR about him so was quick to act - thankfully!!!

Poor bloody Marg (my friend) it was 2 years on the Friday since her hubby died and she is still recovering from an aortic dissection that nearly killed her! She feels like she is living in a horror movie!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 am

Morrigu wrote:
luvdids wrote:

The world's f**ked.

She has indeed!!

Had it down his leg inside track pants - he had an appointment not sure if it was his name or he used someone else's. This is their current ploy it seems - she is a nurse and sensed something NQR about him so was quick to act - thankfully!!!

Poor bloody Marg (my friend) it was 2 years on the Friday since her hubby died and she is still recovering from an aortic dissection that nearly killed her! She feels like she is living in a horror movie!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Unfknblvbl, the lengths these morons will go to & the complete lack of regard for anyone but themselves.

Hopefully for your friend the 'things come in 3s' tale is true & that's it for her, nothing but good news from now on!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 pm

They should instruct all pharmacies that if this mongrel, otr presunably an accomplice, presents the script it should be filled with powerful laxatives and tranquilisers. 5 days of sleeping in his own crap and then arrest him. With extreme prejudice. After he showers and changes his clothes. I don't agree with USA gun laws but this is one example where if the culprit had his head blown off no one would care.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Why should they be instruct all pharmacies that if this mongrel otr presunably an accomplice presents the script it should be filled with powerful laxatives and tranquilisers?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 pm

David wrote:
Ah, sorry about that! I haven't been ignoring you, just wanted a chance to sit down and give it a proper response.

Basically, I don't think your hypothetical can be achieved, because fewer working hours will mean job losses and that seems to be the biggest concern with automation; that we will end up with massive unemployment rates.

There are two questions raised in your post: a) whether this premise is actually true or not, and b) what to do if it is. On a), I can only say that it seems to be something that a lot of tech experts are taking quite seriously, and their reasoning seems plausible enough. Let's consider driverless cars, which are apparently going to be 25% of the vehicles on the road in ten years' time: that's going to mean a lot of taxi drivers are out of a job. Where will these people go? Where are all the vacant jobs waiting? Sure, we'll need people to look after the driverless cars systems, but there aren't going to be nearly as many jobs there as there were taxi drivers, and many drivers wouldn't be qualified for that kind of work anyway.

You can substitute cars for all the other fields that will be increasingly automated in the years to come. Shopping centre checkout workers, editors, translators... these jobs are all going and not coming back. Where will all the new jobs appear from to replace them?

Of course we've seen periods of rapid technological change before, but the hypothesis seems to be that this is different; that things are accelerating at a much faster pace than they ever were before. I'm just restating what many others have said.

If we accept that this is going to happen at least for the sake of the argument then our second problem is, how do we maintain a functional society with fewer overall working hours available?

So let's consider your hypothetical business. Functions A and B (say, working the till and producing certain materials) are no longer required, so it either employs fewer people or employs the same amount of people working reduced hours. This may be good news for the company as it can save on employment costs, but it's a problem for society because unless employees get a pay rise to make up for the loss of working hours it now has to deal with a lot more people who are not working enough or not working at all. So, to me, it's a problem with a range of fairly logical solutions: either the government supplements people's wages to make up for lost income, or a shorter work week is achieved through collective bargaining and the company pays employees the same for working less (thus rendering their net profit/loss for cutting available work hours negligible).

I'm not saying that that's a pleasant scenario for a business to contemplate or that there won't be teething pains along the way (some of which may include a dramatic increase in poverty before the government or FWC is forced to act). The point is, if the automation crisis is going to occur, as many think it will, then something will have to give. A four day work week may be one solution and if it isn't, what seems certain is that we'll need to think out of the box in one way or another.

So basically, the ideal you were arguing for, won't work practically.

No surprise there but thanks for the effort

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Morrigu wrote:

WTF just WTF!!!!

Unf*cking believable. How appalling.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 216 of 277   

Jump to: