Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Are these folk for real or is it a complete try-on? I give you the first sentence of just one of the "profiles":

"Michón Neal is a minority of minorities: female assigned at birth, mostly black, disabled, autistic, genderqueer, aromantic, pansexual, kinky, demisexual, poor, noetisexual, polyamorous, singleish, RA, a survivor, intersex, and left-handed."

I've seen people fall for satire in this genre in the past, but no, this is legit (and shared approvingly across the web on likeminded sites). Although if that was one of the authors' actual profiles, I'd be suspicious to say the least. Laughing

Edit: I just googled and realised that that is in fact one of the actual profiles on the site. I thought you were taking the piss. Wooow. A classic example of Poe's Law in action.

http://tinyurl.com/zwxtcfp

Last edited by David on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Oops. Too much data.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:08 pm

What I find frustrating is that, as someone who knows a lot of women (and men) with feminist viewpoints, I'm absolutely sure that a great many of them would have serious disagreements with parts of this article or find the whole thing cringeworthy; but it seems rare for anyone to actually say so. I can only presume a lot of women read stuff like this, roll their eyes and ignore it. That may seem the most appropriate response, but the unfortunate consequence is that the only feedback is either approving (40K Facebook shares!) or overtly hostile (the latter from 'men's rights activists' and the like). And because a lot of that anti-feminist opposition is basically abusive, a lot of these spaces somewhat understandably now don't even allow comment sections (Fairfax's 'Daily Life' sidebar is an example of this phenomenon).

That creates something of a 'take it or leave it' approach and an ideology that seems to have very little of a self-critical reflex, I think. Perhaps all ideologies are like that in some way or other, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to see a bit more public disagreement. Taking the piss out of your own side (particularly regarding its more self-indulgent excesses) can be a liberating thing to do from time to time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

^

Standard echo chamber effect prevalent on social media these days

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 pm

David wrote:
A warning to all feminist women: lock up your sisters! ............

Who cares though?

A man can't be a feminist as it is a womens movement.

(David we have disagreed on this before)

A man can however support feminism & the feminist movement that is, men & women having equal opportunity in virtually all spheres of life as the basic premise

And in the words of my old work colleague Vaughn "It's all piss and wind mate"

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 pm

David wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Are these folk for real or is it a complete try-on? I give you the first sentence of just one of the "profiles":

"Michón Neal is a minority of minorities: female assigned at birth, mostly black, disabled, autistic, genderqueer, aromantic, pansexual, kinky, demisexual, poor, noetisexual, polyamorous, singleish, RA, a survivor, intersex, and left-handed."

I've seen people fall for satire in this genre in the past, but no, this is legit (and shared approvingly across the web on likeminded sites). Although if that was one of the authors' actual profiles, I'd be suspicious to say the least. Laughing

Edit: I just googled and realised that that is in fact one of the actual profiles on the site. I thought you were taking the piss. Wooow. A classic example of Poe's Law in action.

http://tinyurl.com/zwxtcfp

So, where does that leave us? I'm left thinking that it is either an hilarious caricature or they are in need of considerable therapy (or government funding - whichever comes first).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Who cares though?

A man can however support feminism & the feminist movement that is, men & women having equal opportunity in virtually all spheres of life as the basic premise

It's not just me – many, indeed probably most feminists since the '90s would disagree with you on that. Indeed, even articles like this (which seem to take the position that a male feminist is about as welcome as a fart in an elevator) don't actually go as far as to claim that the concept itself is invalid. In any case, it's probably irrelevant as I doubt that these writers would be any more predisposed to self-proclaimed male "allies" or whatever else one might choose to label oneself as.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the "it's all piss and wind" summation. Perhaps we should be laughing off pieces like these when we come across them and not wasting our time on them. But when 40K people are agreeing with it and taking it seriously including people whose intelligence you respect, that becomes a paradox. I fear that this approach ends up contributing to the echo chamber effect Stui refers to above; we all just sit around in our circles agreeing with each other and lose the ability to engage anyone who thinks differently.

I'm thankful that we still encounter a wide range of views in the VPT, at any rate. I find it a breath of fresh air from my (for all intents and purposes) politically homogenous Facebook network.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:36 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Who cares though?

It's not just me – many, indeed probably most feminists since the '90s would disagree with you on that. Indeed, even articles like this (which seem to take the position that a male feminist is about as welcome as a fart in an elevator) don't actually go as far as to claim that the concept itself is invalid. In any case, it's probably irrelevant as I doubt that these writers would be any more predisposed to self-proclaimed male "allies" or whatever else one might choose to label oneself as.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the "it's all piss and wind" summation. Perhaps we should be laughing off pieces like these when we come across them and not wasting our time on them. But when 40K people are agreeing with it and taking it seriously including people whose intelligence you respect, that becomes a paradox. I fear that this approach ends up contributing to the echo chamber effect Stui refers to above; we all just sit around in our circles agreeing with each other and lose the ability to engage anyone who thinks differently.

I'm thankful that we still encounter a wide range of views in the VPT, at any rate. I find it a breath of fresh air from my (for all intents and purposes) politically homogenous Facebook network.

But you have the advantage of me David, what is Facebook?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:37 pm

^

"debate" on most social media doesn't exist. people are steadfast in their beliefs and simply seek the echo chamber to reinforce them. Dissenting views are considered trolls and treated with disdain and abuse, which is why anyone genuinely interested in the topic but not agreeing with the premise chooses to remain silent.

It's a phenomenon you see in various guises, one more recent example dare I say it was the US presidential election and it's prevalent in general society. The fact that a viewpoint seems to be popularly accepted isn't always true, particularly when those who hold a different view aren't game to express it in public for fear of ridicule.

it's not only an echo chamber but a social version of a false economy.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 pm

The Victorian Emergency Services website shows a "Dangerous Animal Alert" for certain beaches along the coast, south-west of Melbourne. After getting over my initial disappointment that a polar bear wasn't on the rampage taking out retired judges on the beach at Point Lonsdale, my attention was caught by the details of the accompanying advisory. One of the helpful suggestions for avoiding a GWS attack (that's a kind of shark, not a bad loss to an emerging interstate team), under the reassuring heading "What You Should Do", is - I kid you not - "Don't remain in the water with bleeding wounds."
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:18 pm

yet Salt Water is great for bleeding wounds.

Shark bites, less so.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 pm

I guess what they may have in mind is that, eg, when you get a stingray barb through your heart, you should get out of the water in case the bleeding attracts predators, rather than remain in the water to try to take advantage of its healing properties?
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 pm

they may have in mind something.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I guess what they may have in mind is that, eg, when you get a stingray barb through your heart, you should get out of the water in case the bleeding attracts predators, rather than remain in the water to try to take advantage of its healing properties?

That could work

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

And that when you get a stingray barb your heart you should get out of the water in case the bleeding attracts predators rather than remain in the water to try to take advantage of its healing properties is [quotePies4shaw]he or she guess what they may have in mind.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 204 of 277   

Jump to: