Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
What they do to horses:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3632985.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/the-daughter-of-a-former-thoroughbred-breeder-confronts-the-reality-horses-face-20161117-gsrdb3.html

Bloody leftist rags.

Like Greyhound racing it needs to phased out. No excuses for animal cruelty although I'd less guilt if I had the discipline to be a vegetarian indeed vegan but not up to it yet..

I won't touch the link, but yes I agree. I'm phasing out. I don't buy bacon, pork, lamb, and the doc says I need a steak more than once in a blue moon, or I'd probably just about ditch that too. Free range chickens, ill pretend they roll over dead and then get dished up as food

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 am

I won't touch the link, but yes I agree. I'm phasing out. I don't buy bacon, pork, lamb, and the doc says I need a steak more than once in a blue moon, or I'd probably just about ditch that too. Free range chickens, ill pretend they roll over dead and then get dished up as food[/quote]

I read the SMH link, and I was shocked .... I expected to find some evidence of barbarous cruelty brought about by a failure to enforce ordinary animal welfare laws. Instead, I found an article full of shock and horror at the fact that horses -including ex racehorses - are shot for meat. Cows, pigs, chickens just don't have the same sentimental appeal, I guess

I get the ethical arguments for vegetarianism, though i think there are good arguments for eating meat as well. Having watched the utter cruelty and nauseating suffering of natural death in the wild, I have to conclude that human slaughter is pretty much the easiest way for an animal to die, even where there is some stress involved. But this article was really just illogical muddle. If you don't like knowing about knackeries, don't keep dogs or cats : they're the real culprits.

Usual disclaimer : I hate wanton cruelty to animals and i would punish it more severely than it is today. I also have zero care factor about horse racing.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 am

I read the SMH link, and I was shocked .... I expected to find some evidence of barbarous cruelty brought about by a failure to enforce ordinary animal welfare laws. Instead, I found an article full of shock and horror at the fact that horses -including ex racehorses - are shot for meat. Cows, pigs, chickens just don't have the same sentimental appeal, I guess

I get the ethical arguments for vegetarianism, though i think there are good arguments for eating meat as well. Having watched the utter cruelty and nauseating suffering of natural death in the wild, I have to conclude that human slaughter is pretty much the easiest way for an animal to die, even where there is some stress involved. But this article was really just illogical muddle. If you don't like knowing about knackeries, don't keep dogs or cats : they're the real culprits.

Usual disclaimer : I hate wanton cruelty to animals and i would punish it more severely than it is today. I also have zero care factor about horse racing.[/quote]

Ok well let's start with my first, favourite, still loved, but long gone, horse, Clyde. Long story as to how I ended up with him, I was actually a trail bike rider at the time! But he was stolen from the knackery as it turns out! He was my best friend I kid you not. He saved me from my horrible father. I'd never ridden before, and yet we ended up in state titles (novelty racing, flag and barrel, bending, barrel racing). We did one day events, pony club, you name it. But he learnt how to wind suck in the knackery, and when he was 18, he did it one to many times and got colic. There was no saving him, so he was put down with a needle, and yes, returned to the knackery. I have no problem with knackeries, and if he was made into dog meat, or soap, well, he got an extra 11 years of life, a really really good life. And he died surrounded by love.

I don't really have a problem with farming animals. What I havea big problem with is kill methods. Inciting fear in them for no good reason.

As for my dogs, they have all been buried at home. And I'm the first to admit they probably have better lives than an awful lot of people.

And I'm still not reading it!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:35 am

I don't disagree - I won't eat anything that is not free-range. I think we have a duty to treat animals as well as nature or better while they are alive, and then slaughter them quickly and as painlessly as possible - far better than nature - when they are to be eaten.

That seems to me to express a compassionate humanity ; but i can;t see why one type of animal species is necessarily due preferential treatment within those standards. Some can be pets, yes, and that may make individual animals special to particular humans - but that does not really make the species special per se.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:15 pm

I probably have a different attitude to many these days.

I grew up in the bush. Not on a farm but had enough contact with farms to develop a pragmatic attitude. We had chickens for eggs and meat. Killed the occasional one for Sunday lunch.

Dad did occasional work for cash strapped farmers and they sometimes paid him in live sheep. I'd get to hold their chin up while dad cut their throat before hanging, skinning and butchering.

I used to go hunting and enjoyed it.

I don't condone mistreatment or abuse of animals, but I guess I have a different perspective on what constitutes mistreatment and don't anthropomorphize them. eg, dogs are outside animals and, with some exceptions, belong outside not inside. Wink

if it's meat, I'll pretty much eat it

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:17 pm

^ as I can't engage in anything resembling rational discussion due to my shall we say strong personal beliefs I've decided not to ( I am to animal rights discussions what David is to immigration discussions Wink Razz )

Huge amount of misinformation, propaganda and emotional manipulation on both sides of the argument - although I really don't understand how anyone can support live export its cruel and unnecessary.

You can't force or shame people not to eat meat - if you want to and it doesn't bother you then so be it - but if you don't for whatever reason ( and trust me I miss it) then so be it.

No one " needs" to eat a steak that is a personal choice - you can be extremely healthy and fit without eating red meat just ask Novak Djokovic!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 pm

^

You understand your own biases which puts you ahead of David IMHO, no disrespect meant anywhere.

I have no issue with people who make their own choices about eating meat, whatever they may be. I'm happy to live and let live, I just won't cop being lectured at or insulted for my choices. I don't do it to others, so if someone starts on me it's rack off hairy legs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Can you honestly say you understand yours, though? I think it's fair to say there have been times when you've tried to present yourself as even-handed on subjects where you had a fairly inflexible view.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah, I do. I understand my biases and where they come from. Sure I come across as inflexible sometimes, usually in response to another post after a few drinks when I CBF being subtle, doesn't mean I'm actually inflexible.

Plus I love a good argument and baiting a response. Razz Wink

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Gee whizz.... let's save all the fluffy animals and not damage anything Rolling Eyes

Biggest load of shit ever!
Man is a carnivore, along with a whole lot of other species. Sure, there's some practices that leave alot to be desired but please, think about what YOU do every day.... you turn on a tap? Most likely a dams been built to supply you that water, energy is being consumed to pump it to your house, that trees have been cut down or bricks fired to build.
Do you hop in a car to drive anywhere, do you flick a swith and have cooking facilities, air conditioning, hot water?
Where's the packaging come from that your vegan meal is packed in? How about the matress you sleep on? The fridge you keep your food in? The clothes on your back?

Unreal.... hypocrites!

Live in a cave on the beach and eat dead seawed!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 pm

If you could have any kind of robot what would it be?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Speaking of cave dwellers Razz

Last edited by Morrigu on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:29 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ as I can't engage in anything resembling rational discussion due to my shall we say strong personal beliefs I've decided not to ( I am to animal rights discussions what David is to immigration discussions Wink Razz )

Huge amount of misinformation, propaganda and emotional manipulation on both sides of the argument - although I really don't understand how anyone can support live export its cruel and unnecessary.

You can't force or shame people not to eat meat - if you want to and it doesn't bother you then so be it - but if you don't for whatever reason ( and trust me I miss it) then so be it.

No one " needs" to eat a steak that is a personal choice - you can be extremely healthy and fit without eating red meat just ask Novak Djokovic!!

It's called greed for the almighty dollar. And it's disgusting

When did you give up meat?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 pm

David wrote:
Can you honestly say you understand yours, though? I think it's fair to say there have been times when you've tried to present yourself as even-handed on subjects where you had a fairly inflexible view.

That's called human nature I believe! And yep, your right, and everybody does it!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Skids wrote:
Gee whizz.... let's save all the fluffy animals and not damage anything Rolling Eyes

Biggest load of shit ever!
Man is a carnivore, along with a whole lot of other species. Sure, there's some practices that leave alot to be desired but please, think about what YOU do every day.... you turn on a tap? Most likely a dams been built to supply you that water, energy is being consumed to pump it to your house, that trees have been cut down or bricks fired to build.
Do you hop in a car to drive anywhere, do you flick a swith and have cooking facilities, air conditioning, hot water?
Where's the packaging come from that your vegan meal is packed in? How about the matress you sleep on? The fridge you keep your food in? The clothes on your back?

Unreal.... hypocrites!

Live in a cave on the beach and eat dead seawed!

Yum, wakame!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 196 of 277   

Jump to: