Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone holds strong beliefs on a topic and they are presented with evidence that contradicts those beliefs, cognitive dissonance kicks in.

Just like the 4 stages of grief, the first stage is denial, usually comes across by trying to rationalise or twist the information so it matches or is at least consistent with their view.

Unlike the 4 stages of grief, people can live in denial indefinitely.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
When someone holds strong beliefs on a topic and they are presented with evidence that contradicts those beliefs, cognitive dissonance kicks in.

Just like the 4 stages of grief, the first stage is denial, usually comes across by trying to rationalise or twist the information so it matches or is at least consistent with their view.

Unlike the 4 stages of grief, people can live in denial indefinitely.

That explains the support for Bucks on Nicks perfectly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm

^

LOL, it also explains the anti Bucks brigade. Razz Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Skids wrote:
Far fetched you say, because you found something that refutes it.

Wikepedia calls it a debate....

Contemporary debate Edit

In 2004, Lebanese Druze scholar Sami Makarem published the monograph Al Taqiyya Fi Al Islam ("Dissimulation in Islam"), arguing that the concept should be considered "mainstream" and ubiquitous in modern Islamic politics,

"Taqiyya is of fundamental importance in Islam. Practically every Islamic sect agrees to it and practices it. We can go so far as to say that the practice of taqiyya is mainstream in Islam, and that those few sects not practicing it diverge from the mainstream...Taqiyya is very prevalent in Islamic politics, especially in the modern era." (p. 7, trans. Raymond Ibrahim).
Since the 2000s, taqiyya has become a frequently invoked concept in debates surrounding criticism of Islam and especially Islamic extremism. Islamic scholars tend to emphasize that taqiyya is only permissible under duress, and that the inflationary use of the term qualifies as "a staple of right-wing Islamophobia in North America" (Mohammad Fadel 2013), or "Taqiyya libel against Muslims"[45] while their critics accuse them of practicing "taqiyya about taqiyya"

Nothing in that has anything to do with the mischievous claim that Sharia Law instructs Muslims to "engage in Taqiyya and lie to non-Muslims to advance Islam". As far as I can tell, that's paranoid rubbish intended to justify and inflame prejudice.

This is why I'm asking you to at least post sources when you copy and paste stuff, even if it is only to dodgy anti-Muslim propaganda sites. Otherwise, there's just no way of checking what is fact and what is misinformation, and that gives misinformation far more power.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:52 pm

^

It's a bulletin board, not an academic journal.

People post opinions.

If you want to fact check the opinion, they have this thing called Google

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Nick's may not be an academic journal, but I like to think we have a slightly higher level of discourse than, say, the YouTube comments section. Opinions are one thing; statements of supposed fact that have been lifted from another site without attribution are another.

Sourcing and signposting your quotations with a hyperlink and the quote function isn't that hard. It's also basic bulletin board etiquette.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Turkish bill clears men of statutory rape if they marry

A bill which would allow men accused of raping underage girls to be cleared if they marry the girl has been preliminarily backed by Turkish MPs.

The bill would pardon men only if they had sex without "force or threat" and if they married the victim.

Critics say it legitimises rape and child marriage, and lets off men who are aware of their crime.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38030182

A massive WTF but so sad - what have you become Turkey Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:44 pm

The Islamisation of Turkey continues.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Who told you that?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Morrigu wrote:

A bill which would allow men accused of raping underage girls to be cleared if they marry the girl has been preliminarily backed by Turkish MPs.

The bill would pardon men only if they had sex without "force or threat" and if they married the victim.

Critics say it legitimises rape and child marriage, and lets off men who are aware of their crime.

A massive WTF but so sad - what have you become Turkey Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So many countries seem to be going in the wrong direction at the moment. Sad

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:11 pm

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Confused .... maybe the spread of Islam? Nah.... couldn't be, just us Islamaphobes blowing it out of proportion Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

A disgusting & appalling law & a few idiots will associate this with Islam per se without differentiating.

I've been calling Erdogan out since his election as a religious fundamentalist wearing a suit & since then, his corruption of the political process through his continual centralisation of power.

Like Trump he appeals to:

1. The less well informed like the uneducated but deeply religious rural & provincial groups (his majority); and,
2. The educated religious conservatives.

Unlike Erdogan, Trump doesn't have the power to kill (others in the US that is) nor is he a religious fundamentalist (well perhaps the mental part of that) Wink Pence however is another story...... Wink Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:45 pm

What they do to horses:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3632985.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/the-daughter-of-a-former-thoroughbred-breeder-confronts-the-reality-horses-face-20161117-gsrdb3.html

Bloody leftist rags.

Like Greyhound racing it needs to phased out. No excuses for animal cruelty although I'd less guilt if I had the discipline to be a vegetarian indeed vegan but not up to it yet..

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Sitting in my local the other night and while the pool comp was on. Across the road the Thais were trying to get a truck with a bulldozer out ot the parking lot of the open air market. The low slung electric wires were blocking them. The logical thing would have been to take the bulldozer off and reload . No, send blokes with sticks to lift the wires whilst standing on the roof of a moving truck. The live wires were sparking up and they managed to get out somehow alive.Of course they blacked out the market and took off. 30 minutes later the electricity company turned up to fix the power. Worksafe would have had kittens.I guess rubber thongs are good insulators.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:12 pm

ronrat wrote:
Sitting in my local the other night and while the pool comp was on. Across the road the Thais were trying to get a truck with a bulldozer out ot the parking lot of the open air market. The low slung electric wires were blocking them. The logical thing would have been to take the bulldozer off and reload . No, send blokes with sticks to lift the wires whilst standing on the roof of a moving truck. The live wires were sparking up and they managed to get out somehow alive.Of course they blacked out the market and took off. 30 minutes later the electricity company turned up to fix the power. Worksafe would have had kittens.I guess rubber thongs are good insulators.

Life is cheap.....in the orient.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 195 of 277   

Jump to: