Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has defended giving $5 to a beggar in Melbourne, putting him at odds with the city's lord mayor who says giving money to people on the street entrenches homelessness.

The worlds going nuts.

Some criticised him for being stingy and not giving more, others criticised him for giving anything. If he had ignored him, he would have copped it for that.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/it-was-a-human-reaction-malcolm-turnbull-defends-giving-money-to-a-beggar-20160819-gqwbvf.html

I couldn't believe the negative comments about him not giving all the money he had on him. You can tell the partisan blinkers are firmly on when people think that's an important issue to raise.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:28 pm

More WTF.

Quote:
The UN has urged the new president of the Philippines to end a wave of extra-judicial killings, carried across the country as part of a radical anti-drug campaign.

It comes as the country's police revealed they were responsible for the deaths of nearly 600 drug suspects since the start of July.

Local media reports suggest the true number could be well over 1,000, when killings apparently carried out by vigilante gangs are taken into account.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/08/20/hundreds-killed-in-philippines--war-on-drugs.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57b7e75504d3010d7aa1fbc8&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#sthash.0vgLHHPV.dpuf

While I think this is just damn wrong, a small part of me can't help wondering how it will work out. If it wipes out drugs, drug manufacture, drug use completely, does the end justify the means?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Well I guess the moral answer is no one deserves to be killed without a fair trial

But for me, if you can prevent innocents dying in the slaughter, yeah go for it! Drug dealers and manufacturers are peddling death. No great loss.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
More WTF.

Quote:
The UN has urged the new president of the Philippines to end a wave of extra-judicial killings, carried across the country as part of a radical anti-drug campaign.

It comes as the country's police revealed they were responsible for the deaths of nearly 600 drug suspects since the start of July.

Local media reports suggest the true number could be well over 1,000, when killings apparently carried out by vigilante gangs are taken into account.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/08/20/hundreds-killed-in-philippines--war-on-drugs.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57b7e75504d3010d7aa1fbc8&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#sthash.0vgLHHPV.dpuf

While I think this is just damn wrong, a small part of me can't help wondering how it will work out. If it wipes out drugs, drug manufacture, drug use completely, does the end justify the means?

Going after the officials and big boys too!

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday identified about 160 serving and former town mayors and executives, judges and policemen allegedly linked to the illegal drugs trade, stepping up a name-and-shame campaign in his five-week war on drugs.

Duterte read a list of those he said "destroy the country" during a visit to an army base in his hometown Davao city.

The list included two of the five police generals he identified last month as protectors of drug syndicates and a town major who has recently surrendered to police.

http://www.newsweek.com/philippines-duterte-accuses-officials-drug-crimes-488058

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:58 pm

^

They're the ones you need the most. While they're still in business there'll always be people desperate enough to traffick the shit.

it will be interesting as it's the polar opposite to the approach of treating drug use as a health issue and wanting to legalise it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:11 pm

It's also possible that they've been set up. Would hardly be the first time that a president killed off opponents on the basis of trumped up charges. Frankly, as much as I sympathise that endemically corrupt places can't always be judged by our standards, I think what he is doing is horrific and a clear example of state terrorism. He's not just killing low-level dealers (as if that would somehow be OK) but also users it's basically a reign of terror.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:19 am

Show on Foxtel doco about William Hayes, the guy the movie midnight express is about, gees, amazing story. Scary shit
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Reckon Judge Street needs to retire !! Rolling Eyes

Childbirth not the same as 'buying a bag of chips': disability discrimination case

Central Coast woman Kate Hinton launched a case against Westmead Private Hospital after it was unable to provide a sign language interpreter for her husband Anthony, who is deaf, to help him communicate with medical staff during the birth of their first baby last year.

The matter came before Judge Alexander "Sandy" Street in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, where he dismissed the case in February, comparing Mrs Hinton's request to her "buying a bag of chips" and expecting the shopkeeper to provide an interpreter.

Last year, the Full Court overturned Judge Street's ruling that Virgin Australia had the right to refuse to board a guide dog belonging to a man with a cerebral palsy and sight and hearing impairments.

The airline was ordered to pay $10,000 compensation.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/childbirth-not-the-same-as-buying-a-bag-of-chips-disability-discrimination-case-20160823-gqzbs1

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Reckon Judge Street needs to retire !! Rolling Eyes

Childbirth not the same as 'buying a bag of chips': disability discrimination case

Central Coast woman Kate Hinton launched a case against Westmead Private Hospital after it was unable to provide a sign language interpreter for her husband Anthony, who is deaf, to help him communicate with medical staff during the birth of their first baby last year.

The matter came before Judge Alexander "Sandy" Street in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, where he dismissed the case in February, comparing Mrs Hinton's request to her "buying a bag of chips" and expecting the shopkeeper to provide an interpreter.

Last year, the Full Court overturned Judge Street's ruling that Virgin Australia had the right to refuse to board a guide dog belonging to a man with a cerebral palsy and sight and hearing impairments.

The airline was ordered to pay $10,000 compensation.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/childbirth-not-the-same-as-buying-a-bag-of-chips-disability-discrimination-case-20160823-gqzbs1

Why should the hospital provide an interpreter. Why don't the couple bring their own? How is the hospital discriminating here, they aren't in the business of interpreting and they didn't refuse to treat a patient based on his deafness?

When they go and get new tyres for their SUV, does the tyre centre have to provide a sign language interpreter?

It would be a convenience if the hospital has an interpreter, but I can't see how it's discrimination.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 am

Actually, hospitals do usually provide interpreters as far as I'm aware. Whether patients (or patients' partners) should have a guaranteed right to them is another question, but it's certainly good practice to say the least.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 pm

^

What does the father need to know while the missus is giving birth other than stay at the non strikers end out of the road and shut up. The woman is doing all the work. The only thing a bloke does during labour is cop abuse, I guess her ability to use sign language during contractions was impaired so she wanted someone there to explain to him how she's cut his dick off if he ever put it near her again.

Anyway, this is an absolute WTF. A poor Phillipines fisherman kept a 35kg clam pearl under his bed for 10 years as a good luck charm. It's worth........$100Million US. Shocked

http://www.smh.com.au/world/fisherman-kept-possibly-worlds-largest-pearl-for-10-years-under-his-bed-20160823-gqzjib.html

I repeat, he's living in a shack with $100M US under his bed for 10 years.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:01 pm

^ Shocked bloody hell!!!

With regard to the interpreters it is vital that qualified interpreters are used in health care - friends and family members or staff members who speak the language are the very last resort as they can and do " adjust" the message if it is bad news or embarrassing etc.

If the woman has a PPH or something else goes pear shaped then the medical staff need to be able to converse with the NOK as consent may required for treatment or surgery. There is an emergency phone interpreter service for many many languages but that ain't much use if you're deaf.

Sounds to me like the private hospital just didn't want to provide an interpreter for this family - maybe they are more expensive dunno?? This private hospital provides interpreters for patients of a NESB so why should they not provide it for this family????

I know why - they wouldn't be game to refuse to provide an interpreter for a NESB patient - you would hear the sqwarks of " racism" from here and the twitterati would light up like a Christmas tree!! Laughing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Oops. Too much data.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Once again, it's not discrimination. It might be an oversight, or procedural failure, but tell me how this is discrimination. Did they decide that only because the husband was deaf that they would discriminate and not provide a service? I doubt it!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:09 pm

^ Of course it is - if the said hospital provides an interpreter service for those that have communication barriers because they don't speak English ( and they do) then they should provide it for deaf patients and families as well!

If they didn't provide interpreters for ANY patients or families regardless of the nature of the communication barrier then no discrimination case.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 190 of 277   

Jump to: