Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to ask the students who voted for the policy, but I'm guessing it has to do partially with trans, intersex or 'genderqueer' students not feeling comfortable with male and female toilets, and partially one step in the wider agenda to eliminate gender altogether. I'm probably not the best defender of the policy because I think most student politicians are fundamentalist nutcases who shouldn't be in charge of anything.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Or what?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 pm

David wrote:
You'd have to ask the students who voted for the policy, but I'm guessing it has to do partially with trans, intersex or 'genderqueer' students not feeling comfortable with male and female toilets, and partially one step in the wider agenda to eliminate gender altogether. I'm probably not the best defender of the policy because I think most student politicians are fundamentalist nutcases who shouldn't be in charge of anything.

I agree on the remark about student politicians.

On the agenda to eliminate gender, that has to be utterly ridiculous doesn't it? If gender had no impact, is irrelevant, WTF are transgender people doing?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

I agree on the remark about student politicians.

On the agenda to eliminate gender, that has to be utterly ridiculous doesn't it? If gender had no impact, is irrelevant, WTF are transgender people doing?

Hehe thanks for the laugh on a not particularly funny day!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Hey, nobody ever said modern feminism was coherent. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 pm

David wrote:

I'd like to know when they had the vote, non of juniors friends heard anything about it, and I just asked her, she said she hasn't met any transgenders yet, so I'm guessing it's not rampant! Her female and male gay friends do not like it, any more than the straight kids do.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 pm

David wrote:
Hey, nobody ever said modern feminism was coherent. Laughing

Honey your far mor a feminist than I have ever been!
(And make sure you open the door for me!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:15 pm

David wrote:
^ and this is probably why feminist student politicians are keen on the idea of unisex toilets – many don't like the idea of the world being segregated by gender in that way. It's a bit idealistic, but it's not the craziest thing that's happened on a uni campus.

Personally, I'm not advocating unisex toilets (though I don't really have a problem with them personally). I understand that many people would feel uncomfortable about them; but then, a lot of people feel uncomfortable with any change in the status quo. Personally, I doubt we'll be seeing this policy instituted at Chadstone shopping centre any time soon, so I wouldn't be panicking about that.

Otherwise, of course I defend trans people using the bathroom they choose, and think that's non-negotiable. We shouldn't conflate these two issues.

Target in the USA are in deep shit with boycotts for changing their toilets AND change rooms to "anything goes"!
Yeah right, I'm really gunna ask if my bum looks big in this in front of a mixed audience! (And yes we do!)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Again, it's a conflation of two issues. Target have said simply that trans people can use the bathroom of their choice – that doesn't mean that their bathrooms are unisex. It's pretty sad that so many people are trying to stop this from happening.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/28/target-transgender-bathroom-petition/

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 pm

I get .
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:54 pm

David wrote:
Again, it's a conflation of two issues. Target have said simply that trans people can use the bathroom of their choice – that doesn't mean that their bathrooms are unisex. It's pretty sad that so many people are trying to stop this from happening.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/28/target-transgender-bathroom-petition/

It says LBGT law, lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual, that is not just making transgenders comfortable.

I have said over and over that a transgender should be allowed to use the bathroom of their post gender change sex. But it should not mean they get to choose which one they use, and basically, any guy who identify so for the day as gay or transgender, can walk in there.

By the way a well known transgender sent me that description in a personal message, as She is sick of the bad press due to such carrying on.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm

The trouble is, when do you define that someone is 'post' gender change? Transitioning isn't just about surgery; it's a long journey that often starts with presenting (i.e. dressing according to the gender you identify as, binding/tucking etc), counselling and then hormone therapy, and may or may not end with surgery (indeed, many choose not to go through surgery at all). This can all take years. So there's a whole period there where a trans person will probably be pre-surgery or even pre-hormone treatment but still living as their preferred gender. Using the correct bathrooms can be an important part of that process, and telling them they can't do it pretty much invalidates their identity.

I remember the first time my (pre-surgery) trans male friend used the men's bathroom. We were at a nightclub and I encouraged him to do it because he was feeling unsure. He said later that it felt like a valuable emotional/psychological breakthrough and a bit of a moment of self-acceptance. So while I don't have direct experience of what it's like to be in someone's shoes in such a position, I feel like I have some idea of how important this stuff can be.

I understand that people are alarmed by the idea of someone opportunistically exploiting such a policy in order to commit sex offences. But such a phenomenon is too rare to base policy around, particularly when, as others have pointed out, such policy would have little effect on the freedom of sexual offenders to dress as women and gain access to women's facilities anyway. The fact that these crimes aren't already happening all the time suggests that this is all a massive storm in a teacup.

Last edited by David on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:14 pm

What does that feeling remind you of?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:15 pm

^

I agree. It's not that hard, let people use the dunny that is for the gender they associate with, deal with the small percentage of creeps (who are around regardless) appropriately.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:30 pm

^ exactly to both of you.

People seem to forget, when they're worried about these 'male creeps' using the bathroom, they're already using the bathroom. Do them being in the male toilets with your sons not matter as much as if they're in with your daughters?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 178 of 277   

Jump to: